• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The best looking SNES?

• American SNES

Votes: 441 21.8%
  • European SNES

Votes: 1,583 78.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Don't worry OP, for posterity here's the first and right vote
9ScVvND.jpg

But yeah, NA has more character

Honestly I am going to assume anyone voting for the American version uses light theme.

I like the concave X and Y buttons but most other aspects of the console's design are garbage, as though someone tried to build a Super Famicom out of oversized, off-brand lego. I'm glad the revision is much closer to the overseas designs, and even smaller to boot.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think the US SNES is one of the ugliest consoles I've ever seen. It's horrific.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the hard edges on the design, but that purple... Who the hell thought that was a good idea?!

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
I didn't own a SNES, but the US one looks better to me by a fair margin. The JP/Euro one looks kinda ugly.

bulbasort

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is wild. I didn't grow up with either, but the European one is weird and bulbous compared to the much cooler looking US one. The purple color scheme is great too.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I always liked the US version. It had that exotic feel to me because I'd only see it at my rich cousin's house or a Toys R Us kiosk. More often than not, I was a salty Genesis kid looking over at the other side of the fence jealous. Still looks pretty OK or at least immovably iconic imo.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
It's not the sleekest looking console, but it's fine. It does seem like people have a strong opinion about the other one looking so much better. Which is weird to me. Neither one of them are all that dope looking.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, the SNES is my favorite console aesthetically and my 3ds SNES versions is my second favorite. Gamecube 3rd.... I think its me.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
You have a poll with two options and don't show the other option's photo. Explain the thinking here. If you're not European you probably don't know what the European SNES looked like.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
packshot.jpg

I know this is the Mini, but the design's still the same. Over the years I've seen people mock this design for being somehow uglier than the European SNES, and I really don't understand how this nking like this is possible, the EU one isn't bad, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't have a fraction of the attitude the American SNES has.

The strong purple color, concave buttons, the blocky look of it... it's a fantastic console in terms of aesthetics imo. The EU SNES on the other hand kinda lacks charm. The 4 colors are no doubt iconic, but it just doesn't scream "console" to me and as good looking as the controller is the lack of concave buttons is just worse. What do you think, Era?
That looks like some sort of evil robot face and the controller looks like it is covered in Parma Violets.

Of course I like Parma Violets but the PAL SNES was just better.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I have a special place in my heart for the SNES, but yeah, it's not a good looking console. It's an awkward mess of colours and shapes.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Compared to the EU SNES, yes. I do like the controller though and like above, they look like Parma Violets.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I personally love it because it's what I know. But the EU SNES is definitely the better design.

Unsure of the difference between controllers if any, but I can't imagine the US SNES controllers being topped.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I honestly think people preferring the american SNES suffer from Stockholm Syndrom.
Only people that had this console younger like it.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
What an unfair fight. EU version any day. The US version was a mistake.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
The american version doesn't play its games in slow motion, but yes, it looks awful compared to the european one.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that the US SNES is ugly, it's that the PAL SNES looks far better to the point where I imported PAL SNES controllers rather than put up with the ugly US ones.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I bought my SNES in Oct/Nov 1991 and never gave any thought to its aesthetics. About 5 years later I got into importing on the Saturn and PSX,. which made me want to import JP SNES games. The easiest option was to just go down to Little Tokyo and find a used Super Famicom. I had no idea it had a different design until I took it out of the box, and my first thought was "Why in the fuck didn't NoA just go with this for the SNES??? This is like 1000x better looking."

Deleted member 20852

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm European and obviously very biased, but I feel the American SNES is absolutely hideous and the PAL one or Super Famicom the best thing ever. I also love the coloured buttons.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
I guess it's another example of products being changed for the US to look more aggressive or edgy. Like how Kirby always has angry eyebrows added in US covers. To me the US SNES looks like a terrible transformation of Galvatron or something.

The Japanese/PAL version to me just looks comfortable, understated and fun. It has a nice smooth curve along the top from back to front with a tapered curved front. I guess it looks like a modern car whereas the US version looks like a bunch of angular LEGO.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The EU/JP design is more rounded, colorful, pleasant, distinct and fun. It looks like a Super Nintendo, whereas this looks like a uniformly gray, boxy, generic, dull, cheaper, industrial, plastic shell. And I don't like those switches. Or the color combination.

But it's no PC Engine SuperGrafx with Super CD-ROM²

Or no...this.
Wow. I declare this to be the best and worst looking console. Looks like a prop from a Hellraiser FMV game for kids.

Last edited:

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
I like the smoothness of the European model and the Super Famicom, but the American version has a kind of industrial charm to its design.
Yeah it really does look kinda industrial now that you mention it. And if it's aged to the point of yellowing, that matches up with the off-white color of industrial machines as well.