• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The best looking SNES?

• American SNES

Votes: 441 21.8%
  • European SNES

Votes: 1,583 78.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't go as far as calling the NA SNES ugly but I would have vastly preferred the SFC look back then (I didn't know what the PAL version looked like until seeing pictures on the internet).

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I like how the North American version looks more but I wish it was a touch smaller.

Speaking of snes is there any reason why concave buttons have never made a return?

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I think it's fine. I like the Euro/JP one more, though. The JP version was just very well designed throughout, even the box's art.

Or no...this.
Wow. I declare this to be the best and worst looking console. Looks like horror for kids.

1920px-ViewMaster-Interactive-Vision-wController-L.jpg

I wanna put some Duplos on that system.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
Look, I love my American SNES but I ain't gonna deny that thing is butt-ugly. I remember thinking as a kid how ugly the SNES looked compared to the Sega Genesis (Model 2).

Should've kept the Super Famicom design.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those purple switches are butt ugly as hell. The console has always been ugly.

Megadragon15

Oct 27, 2017
The American SNES looks ugly especially when it starts turning urine colored. Super Famicom is the best design for that system.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
I'm ok with the look of the controller, but the system itself is not what I'd call pretty.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I want to know what kind of costs were associated with having completely different console designs for different countries. How could it have made sense to produce a completely different SNES based on region? Or producing the NES alongside the Famicom?

Can you imagine if we still had that today? Where the PlayStation or the Xbox looked completely different in shape, size, and in some cases even function, in different markets? This must have been so expensive.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's pretty terrible. The controllers too. Those dull button colors are no match for the multicolored euro version.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember magazine ads for the PAL SNES with the US design circa late 1991 (the first PAL territory in which it launched was the UK & Ireland in April '92). I wonder how late in the day Nintendo decided to change course?

Crowh

Nov 20, 2017
Yep pretty ugly, its pretty sad because here in South America we also got that version...

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
The american snes is hideous, its over designed and messy, the ugly purple details don't do it any favors, it looks like a cheap bootleg console, i actually thought it was a bootleg console the first time i saw it when a friend brought one home from the states.

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
I love it. It has that classic NoA character. NES control deck was peak NoA, but this is a close second. Forget the dumpster fire redesigns.

To me the fugliest console is the Xbox 360 and 360 slim, I even prefer the fatty OG to the first two iterations of the 360. The E was a massive improvement, unfortunately I never got around to buying one.

Crepuscular

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking purely of the console body itself, I prefer the JP/EU model slightly. Rounded edges are more appealing than sharp edges to me in general.

However, taking the controllers into account as well pushes the NA version of the console into the winners circle and it's not close lol. Those convex/concave, deep violet/lilac buttons are sexy, futuristic, interesting, sophisticated, cool, unique. There's never been anything like it. The RED-BLUE-YELLOW-GREEN of the other model is the thing that looks like a little kids toy. Cliche. Uninspired. Garish.

They both have their charms at the end of the day. Honestly, 99% of people are just gonna like the version they grew up with better. I find the overall tone of the NA-version haters in these topics to be pretty cringey most of the time. "The first time I saw the NA SNES I wanted to GOUGE MY EYES OUT and SET MYSELF ON FIRE!!! ahhals;kdfja;slkfj;lj" <--- seriously this is what a lot of you sound like it's downright embarrassing.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I've never understood the DISGUST for the American SNES. If you like the other designs, fine. But do you really think it's that bad? Really?

When it's Americans saying it, it reeks of "I'm a true gamer who likes Japanese consoles!" to me.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
European SNES /Japanese Super Famicom is so pretty.

I've never understood the DISGUST for the American SNES. If you like the other designs, fine. But do you really think it's that bad? Really?

When it's Americans saying it, it reeks of "I'm a true gamer who likes Japanese consoles!" to me.

It is the hardware version of Kirby's angry twin.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Errr I live in the US
Own a US Super Nintendo and love it.
Helps that gray and purple are my 2 favorite colors :)

May 10, 2019
As somebody that grew up with the American SNES, i was jealous as hell from the start that we didn't get the color scheme and design of the Super Famicom, and I still am.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I grew up with that thing and yeah, it is ugly af. Not good at all to look at.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
There are people who DON'T think it's ugly?
Those people seriously need to change their optician.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry it's the best looking by far. You can keep your rounded fisher price looking version.
;)

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
the american snes is hideous and i have no idea how it was allowed to happen.
This was always my thought. How the hell did that get out of prototype stage?

There's no logic to it either. Blocky shapes with no real order or function on the top, frilly skirt on the bottom. And purple and lilac as the colours? It's a console not a potpourri dispenser.

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
As a european I quite like the look of the american one but that purple color is really horendous. Perhaps a mix of both including the american shape and the european color scheme would be the best of both world.