• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The best looking SNES?

• American SNES

Votes: 441 21.8%
  • European SNES

Votes: 1,583 78.2%

• Total voters

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
As a European I never liked the SNES we got, I always thought the US one was a little better. That said the US one should have kept the 4 colour motif, I like purple but with so much grey it doesn't scream fun.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
It's not ugly, but I think you'd be crazy to put it before the Jap/Euro versions. It's just really muted color wise, and I'm not big on the boxy look of it; If I hadn't grown up with it I'd probably have a strong dislike of it. Even the fucking carts look worse, now that I think about it.

Last edited:

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
It's hideous and its biggest crime is getting rid of the Super Famicom colour scheme.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
It's one of the ugliest consoles. They replaced the super famicom colorscheme too, if they didn't do that it'd be way better.

Golden Boy

Dec 12, 2018
I've always liked the North American model more even though I'm from Europe. Purple face buttons for life.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
American one looks the best. People here are fucking weird and prefer stuff like Perfect Dark's japanese box art BECAUSE IT LOOKS SO COOOL but doesn't actually depict the game in anyway.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Not ugly but still worse looking than the SFC, EU SNES or SNES Jr.

I think all versions of the SNES are pretty good looking though, unlike the NES. Only good looking NES units are the Twin Famicoms.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Regardless of the visual appeal, changing 4 colors for 2 different purple tones is one of the worst ideas ever, especially if we think about kids playing games.

I prefer the JP/EU version of course, but this change alone has always felt a bad decision to me.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it objectively is ugly as fuck.

American

5919830cv11d.jpg

European

00000703_02.0.0.jpg

These pics should be in the OP for comparison.

IT was the famicom in Europe?

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Were there any differences between the SFC and EU SNES?

Anyway, hated the NA one with a passion. Would have been heartbroken had I been old enough to play games at the time and followed any new console hype. Didn't snag an NA SNES until 97 as an SNS-101, and while that version was better it was still a far cry from the SFC

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Probably more important that the Super Famicom feels nice and solid and in comparison the SNES feels like a cheap toy filled with air.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
Can we at least agree that the European SNES/Japanese Super Famicom logo with the four colors is the best console logo Nintendo has ever had?

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
Always hated the purple. Even the grey has a tinge of purple too.

I would have thought Red buttons would have been the way to go since the NES had red buttons + the red Nintendo logo.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
S'fine. Not super ugly, but also the EU/JP version does look better. I wouldn't even consider the US SNES the ugliest console of that generation, let alone ever.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
The US one is actually pretty ugly. And the European one is one of the best looking consoles ever. Why is the american model like that?

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
I see I'm in the minority, but I think the American one looks much better than the EU one. I had a Genesis as a kid, so I don't have a ton of nostalgia for either anyways.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I want the name of the person responsible for the NA SNES. They should be ashamed

I can't wrap my head around the rationale—it doesn't really look anymore "kid-friendly" nor more sophisticated. It's just busted

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The US version ran out of colors mid production and the console designer was a fan of the "hip to be square" song

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
The NA SNES looks terrible and has always looked ba. At the time the sleekness of the Genesis made the SNES look goofy, but after learning of how good the PAL/JP SNES looks it made things even worse. The ugliness poisons my nostalgia for it. The lack of distinct colouring on the buttons is likely why I still fumble internalizing the Nintendo button layout. The concave buttons are awful and there's a reason why consoles after did not use them. I'd buy a SNES pad for my Switch but given that I'm locked to the terrible NA pad that's a pass. I even imported a European SNES mini just trying to retcon my childhood as best I could.

I think any preference for it comes from childhood brainwashing that hasn't been shaken.

IBetUHav

Oct 27, 2017
The boxy design of the U.S. version is less eye catching but I think it has aged better overall

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm indifferent-to-"it's fine" but I don't agree with "ugliest console ever" when the US Turbo Grafx 16 is right there or any of the 90s black boxes that crashed and burned out there.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yuck. The European model is the landslide winner? I'm always so out of step with majority vote on Era when it comes to hardware design. Haha.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it's uggo but i "get it" ... it was the early 90's, nintendo wanted to prop it up as a big boy toy so they went with the utilitarian look which was in vogue with hardware.

aged terribly but all in all it's not so bad

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought it looked bad, and after seeing the Japan/Europe version, that made it even worse. Like why, why did we get such a crappy, boxy, transformer type shape compared to the more elegant model? Just ugh.

I'm indifferent-to-"it's fine" but I don't agree with "ugliest console ever" when the US Turbo Grafx 16 is right there or any of the 90s black boxes that crashed and burned out there.

The TG16 wasn't nearly as much of an eyesore, especially since it was black. You could just turn off the lights and forget about it.

ugly and it's music was bad by comparison to the Superior sega genesis.

Oh, this argument again. Even if you believe the Genesis had the superior sound chip for music, the SNES had far better compositions overall.

Last edited:

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Only next to the smooth Japanese/PAL alternative. On it's own, it's okay, nothing special, though it has a nice colour scheme. Next to the original? It's a boring block.