• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It's not that I don't eventually spend lots of time with some games (mostly multiplayer), but no, I literally have no time for games that take hundreds of hours. If you work, study, spend time with friends, and/or workout there's just no possible way you can regularly play these games really.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
It's a huge turn off. How many games are actually good enough to maintain 80+ hours of quality content? JRPGs are my favorite genre but even then I'll only really play the great ones these days because they're so full of padding.

Whenever I see people who are like "Persona 5 was too short for me!" I just assume they're children without the responsibilities of the real world. A 100+ hour game is a month to beat minimum. Plus sitting down and playing one game for more than two hours just seems like a nightmare.
Yeah, it seems that way!

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Long games are the best for me, hence why I like JRPGs. I don't normally buy games with 10-15 hours game time until they get discounted unless said game is incredible.

Oct 25, 2017
Turn off.

There are exceptions but yeah. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Edit - It is a quality thing too. How much of that 80 hours is actually good? How is the quality spaced out across the game?

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Yeah, while I was in college and had more free time and less responsibilities, I loved going through 100+ hour games.

Now with a job and other responsibilities, I tend to avoid them. If it's a series I had already played in the past though I'll gladly make exceptions. I know I'll enjoy all those hours of Fire Emblem and Persona even though they'll take me a month to beat.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Bloodborne was 35-40 hours for my first playthrough. It was sublime from start to finish, but even then I was ready to wrap things up by the time I faced the final boss.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I used to love super-long games, but now it really depends. I think 30-40 hours is my sweet spot. But I have no complaints on games being longer than that if it's really enjoyable.

Oct 27, 2017
Turns me off. If it's that Long and good that's great. I feel like 30-50 is a good sweet spot for me. Would take me about 3-4 weeks to beat if I'm playing it a lot.

I'd rather be able to play several great 10-20 hour games than one great game imo. And I think more often than not games that long have too much bloat. I loved P5 but it should have been 30 hours shorter

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Turn off. I am actively avoiding long games nowadays. I am too busy with life to spend 100 hours on a game.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Turns me off. If it's that Long and good that's great. I feel like 30-50 is a good sweet spot for me. Would take me about 3-4 weeks to beat if I'm playing it a lot.

I'd rather be able to play several great 10-20 hour games than one great game imo. And I think more often than not games that long have too much bloat. I loved P5 but it should have been 30 hours shorter
That's how I feel too, I just want to play more games(preferably shorter ones), and life is short, so yeah. Plus I'm not a fan of bloat either, can be absurd at times.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
It really depends on how complicated a game's story is. On the topic of Fire Emblem, Three Houses' length is exciting rather than concerning, for instance, as it being 30 or less chapters long (around 40 hours) really wouldn't be long enough to do its setting justice. Fates, on the other hand, I felt suffered as each of its routes were too short to really flesh out its characters, and as such, you get characters who simply don't get any development or meaningful characterization at all.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Mostly turn me off but I still can get down with a few 60+ hour games a year.

I used to only buy long games, now I only buy good games, regardless of length.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I like the game than its great. If I don't than its not. Time expectations/length of game don't bother me at all. I welcome a game that SAYS its long though and actually is. As many times its not at all the case. There is a lot of ...stretching of the truth. So when it comes to a truly long game with good content thats awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
It won't stop me from playing a game I'm already excited about, like, say, a new Persona game, but it's definitely a strong reason to continue ignoring franchises I'm not already a fan of.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
They still excite me, but I'm just a little bummed out that I won't be able to see all of it/it will take me longer to even get around to all I want to see.

With that said, shorter games actually excite me now.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
It doesn't really matter to me, I just like to play fun games is all. Don't feel the need to constantly consume different things. Although I definitely need to alternate, playing multiple long games in a row can be exhausting.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Anything above 50 leaves me hesitant. I do spend more than 50 hours on plenty of campaigns, but it's almost always games where it can be beaten in less than that

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Turn on, but then it becomes a matter of deciding which of those I can buy and which of them I can't for time's sake. Maintaining a social life and a job is hard enough without adding 100 hour RPGs and open world games.

Oct 25, 2017
They have to be something I'm super excited about to get into, but sure.

Give me more Kiseki, Xenoblade, and Etrian Odyssey games basically.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
depends on the game really. I could play a ton of something like persona, but if im not into the game that much then the run time can seem daunting

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
yes

if you don't have an 80 hour's worth of story or interesting gameplay, don't make an 80 hour game

there is nothing more disappointing than burning out on a well made game because it's just way too damn long for what it is

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
It's a huge turn off. How many games are actually good enough to maintain 80+ hours of quality content? JRPGs are my favorite genre but even then I'll only really play the great ones these days because they're so full of padding.

Whenever I see people who are like "Persona 5 was too short for me!" I just assume they're children without the responsibilities of the real world. A 100+ hour game is a month to beat minimum. Plus sitting down and playing one game for more than two hours just seems like a nightmare.

Nah. Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 took me 82 hours, and they certainly had quality content. I'm 44, yet I find time to enjoy lengthy games, just like I find time to enjoy lengthy TV series. Eventhough I usually don't have time to play on weekends. +80-hour game might take me a couple of months, but at this age I'm in no rush. Actually, I quite like having something constant to return to, like this person said:

I love them. It feels good to have something constant to chip away at for awhile after work and on the weekends.

But I think the genre matters. Like a bloated open world 80+ hours is different to me than an RPG or something. It can also suck if multiple games you're interested in launch in a similar timeframe and are all super long.

I very much agree with what was said about open world, and stacked release dates as well.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wish I can play game for 30 hours and be done with it. It doesn't help that developer seems to have a boner with open world 100+ hours games. Nowadays I think twice before tackling such game. Just don't have the time to go through it like I used to.

JuiceMan_V

Banned
Apr 17, 2019
I'm currently playing FF12: TZA on the Switch.

Clocked in a around 84 hours and I'm still in the '30s as far as my level goes.

Hope that answers your question, TC.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't have the time and energy to tackle them anymore. I'd much rather do some short and sweet 10-30 hour campaign most of the time.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Nah. Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 took me 82 hours, and they certainly had quality content. I'm 44, yet I find time to enjoy lengthy games, just like I find time to enjoy lengthy TV series. Eventhough I usually don't have time to play on weekends. +80-hour game might take me a couple of months, but at this age I'm in no rush. Actually, I quite like having something constant to return to, like this person said:
You're playing those Souls games extremely slowly if they took you 80 hours. There's a difference between taking your time on purpose and a game being unavoidably long.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Depends on the game and how strong my interest is for it.

For example, Zelda BotW being over 100 hours is great. I want to live in that world.

However, as soon as I found out that Octopath Traveller was 60+ hours, I dropped it immediately.

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony and From nail the length of games. I like main campaigns that take 30-50 hours but if I want to dive further into the game and go for all the trophies or try a different character build, I can. There are a few games that I play with very long lengths, like FFXIV, but for the most part, I'm just too busy to sink that much time into one game.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kind of a turn off nowadays. When I was a yungin I could play ultra long JRPGs all day every day but now I feel tired just thinking about it. I've been about to pick Xenoblade 2 back up for months.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have always been turned off by games that long. I don't think I have ever played a 40+ hour game (main quest) where I felt the length was fully justified. There's always unnecessary padding. It's not really the length that bothers me, it's the filler.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
If it's a game I really like then why wouldn't I want more of it? "Not enough time" is a bad reason imo because as long as you're enjoying your time with a game then, at least to me, it doesn't really matter how much time you devote to it as long as it's not detracting from the rest of your life.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Big turn-off for me. I like to play a lot of different things, and anything that's lasting 80 hours is probably going to take me months to get through.

I can play maybe one game a year of that length, absolute tops.

jedmund

Oct 27, 2017
They're a turn off for me lately.

I love JRPGs so it's painful, but I need my games to get to the point.

Persona 5 was the straw that broke the camel's back. I loved the characters, the world, the design but the game was at least 20 hours too long. Royal is terrifying because instead of streamlining, they're adding more. Who has time for a 120-140 hour game?

I played through FFXII: TZA lately on Switch and my timer is around 35 hours and I'm almost done. It didn't feel too long or too short. 20-40 hours is about the sweet spot for a single player experience.

The Switch makes longer games a little bit more tolerable though. I just don't want to spend that much time at my desk or couch playing one thing.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Excite. I don't buy that many games per year, and the games I buy I know about since they're announced. I want the game to last me as long as possible after waiting years for it. I understand people that take off work and completely blast through a game in a weekend. But I can't do that. I want it to last.

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely turn off. I don't have the time nor the patience for overly long games now.
Reading that 'FE Three Houses tooks 80h just one part' unsold me on the game.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
For main story? Turn off. If it's an RPG where the main story is 20-30 hours and extra shit is that much? That's fine.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love long games as long as I have a near-constant feed of fresh content. If you say the game is 80+ hours long, it better be 80+ hours of me primarily moving forward, engaging in dialogue, watching cutscenes, doing quests, and other activities. I don't mind the occasional hour of grinding to defeat a boss, but the game should not primarily consist of grinding as a method of prolonging game play length.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
It really depends on the game.

Fire Emblem's 200 hours isn't really 200 since you need to replay it twice.