• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Completed the demo for the S version and fell in love with almost everything about the game: the art direction, the classic design, the dialogue/voice acting, and the characters. The one thing that didn't really impress were the dungeons. There were three before you arrived at Gallopolis and they were all literal dungeons with square rooms linked between each other. I looked up some additional screens and it seems like you go into some caves, but the dungeons don't seem to be anything beyond that and the literal dungeons.

Was wondering for those who played through the game on PS4 if the dungeons ever actually become more varied in layout, design, and look as you play through the game?

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
Definitely in look! You will get a few dungeon gimmicks here and there. Some are small, like poison pools. Others, like riding a flying mount along a largely vertical dungeon, feel more distinctive and one-off.

Pretty straightforward for the most part though.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's been a while since I played, but I distinctly remember there being quite a bit of verticality in some dungeons.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nope they're always boring even the late game ones. The enemies make up for it sometimes.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely in look! You will get a few dungeon gimmicks here and there. Some are small, like poison pools. Others, like riding a flying mount along a largely vertical dungeon, feel more distinctive and one-off.

Pretty straightforward for the most part though.

That's what I've been unfortunately hearing. That most are straightforward and that if there is a unique one, usually it is either a short one, a one-off, or both.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
No, it's a basic bitch generic game in terms of dungeons, combat and story. Still, you can tell it was made with heart. I finished the game despite its blandness.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
That's what I've been unfortunately hearing. That most are straightforward and that if there is a unique one, usually it is either a short one, a one-off, or both.

That's a pretty good assessment, I'd say. For the game's many virtues, it never gets very daring.

Obviously it would be aesthetically different only, but I wonder if being able to change between 2D and 3D in the Switch version helps mix things up at all. Wow, now I'm wondering how some dungeons translate to the 2D mode!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The dungeons remain pretty standard JRPG fare. The combat gets drastically more involved if you're playing with a bunch of difficulty mods on as the game progresses though.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
The dungeons remain pretty standard JRPG fare. The combat gets drastically more involved if you're playing with a bunch of difficulty mods on as the game progresses though.

I actually thought the combat was great from the start. Something about keeping it to a basic attack, magic, (de)buffs, and special moves is so welcoming in an era where RPGs so often try to feel like 4D chess in all the factors you have to consider. Playing this game makes me feel like I'm playing something like Paper Mario and I love it.