• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
The first Pokémon movie is legit good bru---aaah we are acting like animation isn't a legitimate medium of storytelling again.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Has any video game movie ever won as Oscar? Because if not, get prepared for a video game movie to win an Oscar.

Oct 27, 2017
Mortal Kombat.

Hell the games became the same style as the movie when MK9 came out because of the movie. That's how good the movie was.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
I'm not even convinced Detective Pikachu will be great. He was cute, and it'll be neat to see all the Pokémon, but when that novelty wears off will there be enough left? From the trailer I can't say so yet. Not convinced about the human cast yet either.

I have hopes but plenty of doubts too.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Pretty much every line of dialogue that isn't Ryan Reynolds had bad delivery... So no I think from the trailer it looks average at best. Then again people think the first Pokemon movie is good so in sure there will be tons of overly positive opinions on this film. Also the Pokemon look like cosmic horrors.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I think theatrical release has to be a qualifier

Seeing a few mentions of a few direct to retail/distribution films being suggested in here

Which is fine but are we gonna have some ground rules for this discussion? OP gonna weigh in?

Jun 17, 2018
I don't see what the fuss is about, it looked mildly interesting, but as much as I think Ryan Reynolds is great, as Pikachu, it just came off as weird.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty clickbaity title.
In your post you ask if it will be the first great pokemon movie lol
And no. The first pokemon movie legit made me cry.
Um excuse me Pokemon: The First Movie was great
The first Pokémon movie is legit good bru---aaah we are acting like animation isn't a legitimate medium of storytelling again.
Sorry, that was a typo, I meant "first great video game movie" there

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Does the original Wreck It Ralph count as a VG film?

Its mostly VG themed like how Ready Player One was

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
If anime counts then I'd say some of the Pokemon movies and the recent heavens feel movies

If not then I say I actually enjoyed the Angelina Jolie tomb raider movies and the Prince of Persia movie

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
I don't care what anyone says, Warcraft was fucking awesome.

This looks like it will be enjoyable at least. But its Pokemon so it will bring in the big bucks even if it sucks.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It looks interesting, I'm not that sure it'll be great but the trailer looks far better than any other videogame movie trailer.

I didn't watch the MK movie as I don't like the games at all.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Mortal Kombat is not a great movie. It's probably the first faithful video game adaptation that embraces its source material rather than running from it, but the movie itself is sort of butt, especially 20 years later.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I remembered a pretty good video game film. This one is a short film, so maybe not everyone will count it, but it is an official film.

The Papers, Please short film:

It went around some film festivals to positive acclaim and then they released it onto YouTube. It's actually pretty good, I recommend watching it.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It'll certainly at least be a huge guilty pleasure of mine. I hope it's at least as fun as the trailer.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I would have loved it if Silent Hill had been even more of Sean Bean wandering in the mist by his lonesome. By the end, way too much was happening in that film.

I think Riddick is pretty good. The third one. He actually spends time grinding out some levels in that one before defeating a mini boss. It's awesome.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
You're late to the party on this one, there have already been great and awesome video game based movies. Then you have movies based on works of fiction that weren't a real videogame (Wreck-it Ralph, Ready Player One, Last Starfighter, Tron, etc.).

I only tried World of Warcraft as a trial, but didn't like it at all. It's movie was incredible to me. Even without knowing it's lore I was sucked into it's world. One of the best VG movies I've seen, and I don't see it being topped by this one.

Oct 27, 2017
Mortal Kombat is not a great movie. It's probably the first faithful video game adaptation that embraces its source material rather than running from it, but the movie itself is sort of butt, especially 20 years later.
If I could describe Paul W.S. Anderson filmography it would be 'making the best out of a bad situation, and making bank in the process'

All of his movies are kinda shit but they're at least entertaining, that's why I will be watching Monster Hunter day 1 baby.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
If you mean "Will it be The Dark Knight of video game movies?" (i.e., the film that finally elevates a marginal, disposable genre to the level of legitimate art), the answer is definitely no. It looks like a fun, inoffensive popcorn movie with some clever gags and impressive visual effects.

Of course, before you can have the first great video game movie, you'll need the first good one, and Detective Pikachu may be that.

feroca

Banned
May 12, 2018
Well, OP haven't watched every game-movie...so, watch them first. And watch Mortal Kombat too.

Detective Pikachu will be great though, unless something is fucked up.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Get out!

tenor.gif

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Not sure it'll be great but it might be the biggest hit ever for a vg movie i'm sure.

My only problem with it is that i'd like vg movies to be able to be.. simply what they are. Same for the Sonic one. Look how far they go to find an edgy weird angle to do that. Why can't they just think "hey let's do a kid's adventurous, light hearted 3d cartoon with great action scenes and it'll be great!" why..

I know they adapted a specific Pokemon game that is different to begin with but.. justly, why does it have to be the first live Pokemon movie. Why can't a Pokemon movie simply be a great adventure movie for kids, cause there is great material for that honestly.

Now the movie seems super fun, i'm excited for all the cute creatures but i'd like vg movies to be able to be straight forward sometimes. Cause they are so many great things that could be done.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have to agree with most of the thread that Mortal Kombat is still king

I am floored at how many VG movies exist now

Not sure it'll be great but it might be the biggest hit ever for a vg movie i'm sure.

My only problem with it is that i'd like vg movies to be able to be.. simply what they are. Same for the Sonic one. Look how far they go to find an edgy weird angle to do that. Why can't they just think "hey let's do a kid's adventurous, light hearted 3d cartoon with great action scenes and it'll be great!" why..

I know they adapted a specific Pokemon game that is different to begin with but.. justly, why does it have to be the first live Pokemon movie. Why can't a Pokemon movie simply be a great adventure movie for kids, cause there is great material for that honestly.

Now the movie seems super fun, i'm excited for all the cute creatures but i'd like vg movies to be able to be straight forward sometimes. Cause they are so many great things that could be done.

The Sonic SatAM cartoon was the only adaption of Sonic that I thought came even close to high quality for its writing and character work. Everything else that has even been put out really can't be adapted outside of fun, silly, comedy or fan service imo

So unless thats what they are going for with Sonic... they are in some trouble

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a better question would be the best rated video game movie adaptation. Rated by mainstream press, rather than game enthusiasts like us.

Like, multiple people are citing Warcraft but it's sitting at 28% on Rotten Tomatoes. Mortal Kombat is at 38%.