• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
This movie does certainly not look great. Looks potentially fun and super stupid, pretty far from "great".

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
When did the opinion on this movie turn a 180? I was horrified by the CG designs and the lame story beats when the trailer first dropped (and still am), and remember most people agreeing with me.

Is it just because the Sonic movie dropped the bar all the way down to the floor? Lol.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When did the opinion on this movie turn a 180? I was horrified by the CG designs and the lame story beats when the trailer first dropped (and still am), and remember most people agreeing with me.

Is it just because the Sonic movie dropped the bar all the way down to the floor? Lol.
Huh? Reception for this movie has largely been overwhelmingly positive

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I don't get the praise for Mortal Kombat, that movie was shit and had zero gore.

Street Fighter with Van Damme was the first great video game movie!

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
Mortal Kombat and Warcraft were painfully average, just as Anderson's Resident Evils and all the other video game movies I can think of (yeah, even that one animated Resident Evil movie I've seen that was far better than any of the live action ones). Ready Player One was better but that doesn't really count, does it. And neither does Scott Pilgrim.
Do we count Edge of Tomorrow (aka Live Die Repeat) as a video game movie?

Because while it's not based on a game, it sure as shit uses the mechanics of one...

See above then. Also I would add Lola Rennt to the list if we're doing this.

Anyway, the Detective Pikachu trailer looked promising.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? Reception for this movie has largely been overwhelmingly positive
I had to go dig up the original thread to make sure I'm not being Mandela'd here, lol. And from the first page alone the reaction is highly polarized. You have people saying they liked it, but also
Oh god realistic Pokemons are nightmareish
I am disgusted and horrified
jesus christ that pikachu is terrifying
Today I saw some weird shit.
So I think the fairest thing to call the reception is "mixed".

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
It may not have been based off a specific game, but it was based off video games in general, so I'd say Scott Pilgrim was the first great video game movie of all time.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed MK and SF movies when they were released :)

I do hope Detective Pikachu is a good movie and will watch it on release. It's nice to see Pokemon in a real world setting.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Mortal Kombat was the first OK videogame movie....

The first GREAT videogame movie is either:
Wreck-it Ralph
or
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

You can try and disagree, but IMTCO, you'd be wrong.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's many arguments as to what the first great video game movie already is. I would make a fairly strong argument for Scott Pilgrim...

But to keep things simple, will this film be good... Uhh... Maybe? It's got potential but man is some of that CGI Jarring at the moment.

Plot wise it at least should be fine. So there's hope for it at least. And I would be happy if Pokemon were to get a good mainstream film. Espicially if it means video game movies going forward will be weird, instead of what's going to be the boringly safe Mario Movie by Illumination in the future.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Are people who are saying Mortal Kombat is good, is it legitimately good in that I can watch it now and be entertained in a non-ironic way or is is "good" because though it was awesome as a kid and you never seen it again for 20+ years?

While not strictly a video game movie, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World was already the first great video game movie for me.
I concur. Too bad it was a box office bomb. :( But I'm thankful it exists and it good.

Oct 25, 2017
We already had a great Video Game movie. It was called Mortal Kombat. (Fite me)

One of the great B-movie kung fu flicks ever. It's not a Bruce Lee flick, but it's just a level below it. The fight scenes are mostly amazing, too.

I still love that movie.

Are people who are saying Mortal Kombat is good, is it legitimately good in that I can watch it now and be entertained in a non-ironic way or is is "good" because though it was awesome as a kid and you never seen it again for 20+ years?

No, it's good. It's got legitimately very good hand-to-hand combat scenes (not The Raid level, so don't go in expecting that level of greatness, but really well-choreographed and exciting) and the dumb comedy works nicely. It's got that '90s grime look, like Strange Days and Johnny Mnemonic, that gives it a very focused direction in how it looks that really works with the concept of the MK tournament. The "tournament on an island" story is tried and true and is well-executed here. Even the lead-in to the sequel (which sucked hard, don't watch it) was well-done. It's not a "great" movie, but it's a genuinely good movie.

Last edited:

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it does, and it's a fine example of a poor to middling horror movie with slightly dodgy CG.
Naw besides the expos scene towards the end it works better as a horror movie than a silent hill movie

also lol at dissing its cgi when its still the only VG movie to completely nail an amazing aesthetic.That movie is still gorgeous, and also nearly entirely practical effects monster and set-wise

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I wouldn't expect Detective Pikachu to be great but good, so it'd be the first video game movie to be good.

Silent Hill is acceptable, Mortal Kombat is a fun bad movie, Prince of Persia is acceptable imo as well.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
"Great" is a subjective term. I think the more interesting question is whether Detective Pikachu will be the first video game movie to be high quality, remain loyal to the source material & have massive crossover appeal beyond video game fans.

I think the answer to that is yes.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh, what? I don't give a fuck about the page a thread is on. I still think the pokemon look absolutely terrifying.
There are always going to be outliers who simply have bad taste.

To the vast majority of normal people, the Detectice Pikachu trailer was well received because of how utterly insane it looked. That's why people are excited about it.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
All I hear when Pikachu speaks is Ryan Reynold. Let's see how it will work out.

But there is no doubt, it will do pretty well.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope.

The first great Video Game Movie btw,

4073572266_8994a43ecc_o.jpg

arturo2666

Oct 25, 2017
The Super Mario Bros movie from the early 90s was the first great videogame movie and INCREDIBLY underrated. Seriously, go back and watch it. It gets a ton of flack but I think it was largely ahead of its time and holds up well.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, but check beyond the first page lol
Okay, sure.
I don't think Pokemon works as a live action
Script seems like an absolute disaster.
WHAT THE HELL!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Nightmare fuel the movie
IGN missed April Fools by... a lot this year, huh?
Yeah the textures on Pokken dont look so bad now, do they
FFS If you want to give cartoon characters fur, don't apply such a thick layer!!
The tonal difference between the hollywood movie and the source material is really funny.

The realistic fur scakes really makes this look like all that awful edgy realistic pokemon fanart.
Mr Mime is terrifying as fuck.
Dr0V3-RU4AE1kgD.jpg
This looked worse that I've ever imagined.

Wow.
Every day, we stray further from God's light.
Although I do see a certain someone in there calling it "The greatest movie of all time", haha. I'm just saying, this film is not nearly as "universally acclaimed" as some now seem to believe.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
The trailer was incredibly awful, but that's never guaranteed a movie will be bad. It looks like it's going to be in the "so bad it's entertaining" range of things.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Although I do see a certain someone in there in calling it "The greatest movie of all time", haha. I'm just saying, this film is not nearly as "universally acclaimed" as some now seem to believe.
I think it certainly is among people who can't name the geographical region for each pokemon generation.

Go check out some mainstream impressions of that trailer. They all generally follow the same path. "Wait... what? What the fuck? LOL! I'm totally seeing this."

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy: Advent Children beat it to the punch. It's the most faithful adaptation of a game that I can think of, and that's why I like it. No compromise.

But really, I don't like the habit of crowbarring video game stuff into the real world. Detective Pikachu in particular looks like a Super Mario Bros-tier effort to make it work; I don't think it looks good at all.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Silent Hill, Resident Evil 1 and 2 and Mortal Kombat are good movies based on Videogame. Tha said I expect Detective Pikachu to be the best one of them.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I think it certainly is among people who can't name the geographical region for each pokemon generation.

Go check out some mainstream impressions of that trailer. They all generally follow the same path. "Wait... what? What the fuck? LOL! I'm totally seeing this."
That's fair. But that's clearly splitting the audience into core fans who are horrified and casual viewers who think the film looks fun. So I think "polarized" certainly applies.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It looks like a real faithful adaption. I can't wait.

These are what Pokemon would look like in real life, they couldn't have done a better job.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
That's fair. But that's clearly splitting the audience into core fans who are horrified and casual viewers who think the film looks fun. So I think "polarized" certainly applies.

I'm a core fan and think it looks great.

I actually thought a lot of the negative reaction were just people trying to make tired "omg that's totally nightmare fuel right guys" jokes because I thought the pokemon looked great. I'll never understand all the people saying psyduck looks bad.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the suggestions here range from mediocre to "okay". None of them are "great".

We'll have to see how Detective Pikachu fares. I think it has the potential.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a core fan and think it looks great.

I actually thought a lot of the negative reaction were just people trying to make tired "omg that's totally nightmare fuel right guys" jokes because I thought the pokemon looked great. I'll never understand all the people saying psyduck looks bad.
That Mr. Mime legit gives me nightmares, lol. Of course plenty of others here disagree. But I don't think everyone who reacted the same as I did was just making a joke.

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
Okay, sure.

Although I do see a certain someone in there calling it "The greatest movie of all time", haha. I'm just saying, this film is not nearly as "universally acclaimed" as some now seem to believe.

fwiw i've turned around on this movie and I'm genuinely excited to see how it'll turn out.

Will it be the greatest thing ever? i dunno. But it will probably be a fun movie.