• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you boycott for realsies?

• Kind of. I often don’t have to boycott stuff I’ll really miss out on because I’m was never into it.

Votes: 155 23.0%
  • No. I buy what I want.

Votes: 308 45.6%
  • Yes. I do boycott stuff and it really really sucks because I’m missing out on some awesome stuff.

Votes: 212 31.4%

• Total voters

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This website at times goes boycott crazy and at least half the time I agree with their reasoning, but it seems like people boycott stuff they either never cared about or circumvent by buying it "used" or from some other source where the company that makes it doesn't get their money directly. They don't deprive themselves of anything.

Anyone here boycott something they truly really like/love and feel bad that they can't have?

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I mean I do boycott things I used to like a lot but you learn pretty quickly it's easy to live without most things, so it ends up not bothering me that much.

The only yes answer in the poll makes it sound like you think it eats away at you forever. It's just entertainment, it's not a big deal if you don't have it. Plenty of other things to experience.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like anything enough to make me "sad" that I'll miss it.

When I was a kid it was harder, but now I just don't have enough fucks to give.

Dec 22, 2017
I have "boycotted" Comcast cable tv for 15 years after they put TV Land behind a tiered paywall. Strange hill to die on, I know lol. Over the years cord cutting has become so common that it's not even an issue, but sucked at first.

Used quotes, because it's not really a boycott since I use them for internet.

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I boycott stuff. The yes answer you put sucks but I voted yes. I'm boycotting Activision Blizzard right now. Fuck em.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
I haven't gone to Wendy's since I found out about their garbage with the tomatoes. Nestle's stuff is my favorite candy and I won't buy a damn thing from them unless it's from the import market.

I know it's not enough and there's no ethical consumption under capitalism but I try.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
No. Unless I'm at risk of getting injured or something. For example, I "boycotted" chipotle a couple years ago because I didn't want to get sick. Not sure if that really counts tho.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The local AAA baseball team changed their name to something stupid. We used to be the Suns. Now we are the Shrimp. The team had won a fair number of championships and had lots of support/turnout.....there was no need for a rebranding or name change.

This obnoxious and greedy name change has prompted my hopeless 1-man boycott of the team, its games, and its merchandise.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I avoid Chick-Fil-A after learning about their political donations. That one is a little hard, still crave their food when I drive by a store.

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't gone to Wendy's since I found out about their garbage with the tomatoes. Nestle's stuff is my favorite candy and I won't buy a damn thing from them unless it's from the import market.

I know it's not enough and there's no ethical consumption under capitalism but I try.

Are their tomatoes not free range?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some stuff yeah. Chicfila is really the only fast food that I really gnuinely like and crave but I refrain from eating here until their LGTBQ practices are ended and they make amends to rectify the damage done.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Very few things cross the "Boycott" threshold for me. It's not something I just throw around. I do not boycott just because I am upset, I need a good reason.

But yes, I do when I say I will. I take a step back, realize how goddamn good my life is compared to so many others, and tell myself to stop being a little bitch. The best voice for change I have is with my wallet, so I need to exercise that power.

Not directing this at anyone in particular here or elsewhere, but the idea that people cannot be bothered to fight for others "because its hard to not do things I like!" has always been a remarkably sad statement if I take it at face value. It's the equivalent of "F you got mine" In my mind.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I rarely have to, as the stuff I'm interested in rarely runs into these controversies.
I have stopped going to a couple restaurants that I loved after one posted some racist memes and the other is notorious for treating its workers like trash.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Yes I boycott stuff. The yes answer you put sucks but I voted yes. I'm boycotting Activision Blizzard right now. Fuck em.

But were you, otherwise, planning on getting games from them, and was looking forward to playing them - but then decided not to?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Yep. Not often but I do it. Giving up WWE last year was tough. I'm glad I did it, and now it feels like an obvious move, but I didn't know AEW was going to come along and more than fill that gap when I did it.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I do not think I have ever boycotted something outright. Either I was not interested in their products/services or I just don't care and buy it.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't bought plenty of games I was going to originally. DMCV for example after it became known Reuben Langdon is an asshole and it became increasingly evident the game would treat its female cast like shit. I miss out on a game, but I get to keep my integrity. Seems like a good trade-off to me.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I do boycott things I used to like a lot but you learn pretty quickly it's easy to live without most things, so it ends up not bothering me that much.

The only yes answer in the poll makes it sound like you think it eats away at you forever. It's just entertainment, it's not a big deal if you don't have it. Plenty of other things to experience.
Pretty much this. If you're boycotting a specific company for something it's usually doesn't 'suck' unless there's a literal monopoly.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not voting in that poll because my situation isn't there. When I boycott/cancel/hope for the death of something I stick to it without any regrets. Right now I've been boycotting a local corner store for about a year which sucks because I can't get a quick breakfast at work anymore which is better for me in the long run because I'm saving money this way.

Since 2013 I've been boycotting McDonalds which is also easy because their food is the shits anyway and I'm pretty sure never eating their again has been good for my health in the long run.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I havent gotten Borderlands 3 and I feel no urge to do so yet.

Luckily a lot of the really bad shit never interested me anyway. And there's no Chic Fil A's in Michigan.

That said, I'll miss Wendy's Spicy Nuggets. Oh well.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't bought an EA game since they decided not to make games for Dreamcast. Lol

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole 'vote with your wallet' thing usually seems like liberal nonsense b/c expecting private citizens to hold giant corporations accountable is kind of a ridiculous notion given the power differential. But yeah entertainment is abundant enough now that I won't usually have much trouble boycotting things that I like.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Ok glad I don't have to boycott Blizzard because Destiny 2 is now with Steam.

So that makes things easier.

And Overwatch fucking sucks anyway.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019

Yeah, I don't want to pick that yes answer.

Why do y'all do polls like this every time?? Be more generic with your options!

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018

"Just" entertainment can be a big deal to people - it can be hobbies, group activities, something that helps people go through the day, or something you enjoy on a complex, emotional and intellectual level, so don't trivialize it. You can say "just" for anything - like breaking up with someone and saying "it's just a person, there's so many of them". For me, a lot of that entertainment brings me great joy and happiness. At the same time I don't believe in boycotts (they are rarely effective and, at the same time, too selective - a true boycott is often impossible and a selective one is not that hard) so I choose not to automatically boycott something just because I disagree with a certain action of the company or someone in that company. Some people here really want to make you feel bad because of that view with logical fallacy phrases like "human rights are more important than games" (of course they are, but not everyone believes boycotts actually do anything for these rights).

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
I've been boycotting EA games for years now, and I absolutely do not feel like I'm missing out on something. I also boycott any product that come from a certain place on Earth.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Not really. To me boycotting something is a pretty useless endeavor other than making yourself feel better I guess. The amount of people who would have to boycott a specific product/company is so large I know that realistically even a few hundred people's contribution would mean absolutely nothing.

I don't knock people for doing it but it just isn't worth it in my opinion, especially when it concerns a game or movie or product I know I'll really.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I cant just not support an entire group of people working on a project to just get at one or a small number of people at the top and not feel bad about it. I feel as if I'm just screwing over the workers more than any studio heads by boycotting their products. When sales go bad its more likely for them to layoff the people who did nothing wrong than for them to take the hit themselves I's imagine.

Jan 10, 2018
When it comes to video games? No, not really. If it's content that I usually enjoy then that's what guides me 100%. I am never confronted with my views on anything gaming related and I don't have enough motivation or self respect to be consistent about my moral standards. I pretty much follow my emotions on everything I do.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But were you, otherwise, planning on getting games from them, and was looking forward to playing them - but then decided not to?

Blizzard is a funny case to me. I went back to WoW months ago because of Classic but ended up not getting it after my schedule changed and I stopped having time for MMOs. So I let my subscription lapse even before Classic released, and never came back.

Now all this stuff happened and I didn't even need to boycott because of my own life.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Chick-Fil-A, CD Projekt Red, and Nestlé are some companies on my shitlist. I buy so few ActiBlizz games that I essentially boycott them anyway and not sure they would count. Spyro and Crash collections are the only two games I've bought from them in a decade, easy to resume ignoring them.

In CDPR's case I closed my GOG account and let them know why. Intended to finish Witcher 3 someday and was looking forward to Cyberpunk, but there are always other games to play.

Last edited:

Donald Draper

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
No.

And the cynic in me think the people that loudly declare it are full of shit and posturing on the internet.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
PC gaming its easy to boycott because there are so many other games I can play. I really liked Borderlands 1/2 and Presequel but I can wait 6-12 months so I dont have to make an epic account + Denuvo mess. By the time I get around to buying it it will likely be cheaper and have more content too so its not really that hard.

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
User Warned: Generalising members
LOL
Most bitches on this forum are preacher liberal until they have to walk an extra yard or pay an extra dollar