• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
...kill off Soap? I remember when I first saw this, this was the last COD I played because I wanted to see how Modern Warfare's story ended and that was it and when I get to this scene, I was definitely stunned mostly because I figured that if anyone of Soap and Price would die it would be Price, but nope, they killed off Soap. Do you agree it was a good decision or was it mistake?

Still.. the "I'm sorry" gets me...

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the one that affected/shocked me the most was the doublecross in MW2 where the characters were shot and burned alive.

Oct 27, 2017
Building attachment towards characters wasn't exactly a strong point of the MW series, so I didn't care at all about anyone dying.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
It was a really effective scene i thought and unexpected. Made the kill against makarov more exciting

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I actually really liked Soap, way more than Price. It was fun to go from MW's Soap (a voiceless avatar of the player) to MW2's Soap (an actual character), it kinda blew my mind back in the day.
So I was sad when it happened in MW3. Don't know why but even before that, I wasn't a fan of MW3's story mode, so I didn't finished it. Just like you I really wanted to know the end of the story because I loved MW 1&2 campaign, but MW3 bored me.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My heart was already broken when Gaz got murked. No death since has fazed me.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The bullshit with Forrest Yuri in MW3 makes me hope that they do a clean break with Modern Warfare 4. I'll allow a cameo from Price

Edit: The double-cross with Ghost and Roach probably got me the most in the entire trilogy though.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn''t surprised. "Shocking" deaths had become a cliche at that point. The nuke in COD4 was a surprise, Ghost's death wasn't as impactful and after that I knew that everyone was going to die. Price living at the end of MW3 was a bit of a surprise, but iirc he was shot and stabbed during the final fight so even Price might not have made it post-credits.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Thought they always handled deaths well, instead of a group of invincibles in the middle of a war like most games.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, but at that point I really didn't care anymore. After the whole debacle with IW and Activision during the game's development, I was just ready to be done with the series. It didn't help that the multiplayer was pretty disappointing too.

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
No, to me it honestly felt like they were just killing somebody to kill somebody. It may be my least favorite part of MW3.

They had already *nearly* killed Soap at the end of MW2. In fact, they had *nearly* killed him off at the end of Modern Warfare. Then they had him be nursed back to health both time, only to kill him once again. Felt very unnecessary and forced in my opinion. His death, to a fall pretty much, felt cheap and anti-climatic. His death should've been more powerful if they wanted to kill him off.

Nov 1, 2017
Building attachment towards characters wasn't exactly a strong point of the MW series, so I didn't care at all about anyone dying.
For the sequels, yeah, but regarding MW1 I really have to disagree. I really grew attached to my team members throughout the first game, from the first mission really. I remember when you're trying to escape from the sinking ship Price saves the whole team's ass. When the rest of the squad is getting lost in the hallways up ahead he directs them to turn left or right, and when you jump to the helicopter he grabs you and pulls you in. The game was full of moments like that, and dialog where they showed their humanity. The shock ending really messed with me back when I first played it.