• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anna

Banned for suspected use of alt account
Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I know I do. It's always surprising to find out that people I'm talking to are like half or five times my age.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
No, but sometimes I forget that the person I'm arguing with might actually be 13 years old.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not. Facebook makes that fairly evident and I know I'm older than the average on here as well.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Yeah I've been surprised at how young or old some people I've talked to for a long time are when I just assumed we were about the same age.

Most people should be around 30 nowadays anyway

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I started posting on forums in my early/mid teens, when the demographics we're usually in their 20s and 30s. So I always assume I'm significantly younger than most people, which is weird, since it's very possible I'm talking with people that are 10+ years younger than me at this point.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
No. When people talk about being nostalgic for cartoons that were airing ten years after I was a kid I know I'm not the same age as many other people on the internet. Love when people talk about being a kid in the mid 2000s.

chuseph14

Oct 26, 2017
I generally assume you're early 20s and male. I'm 30 and male. Depends on the community tho. Browsing reddit I assume everyone is 15.

No, but I assume all professional athletes are older than me even though I'm 35.
rofl I do this too. I'm at the age where you see a pro athlete my age and think, ehhhh he's probably getting too old now. And I make myself sad.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
I assume a good majority of people here are in there mid to late 20's. That's around my age.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
I picture ERA to be a variation of these guys:

4oiJDwo.png

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On this forum, yes. Because these gaming forums evolved from the era when were all teenagers in the late-90s/early-2000s, and then we stuck around. The core of the site is definitely mid-20s to mid-30s.

On Discord, Reddit, etc... I wouldn't assume they're my age.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Why would anyone assume something like that when it's obviously objectively wrong?

Is there something wrong with just going with facts these days?

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
No, but i often do asume they're around 20 or older due to the discussions that happen on the sites i frequent, would be surprised if anybody on ERA is 16 or younger.

Mage

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I tend to think everyone I speak to on the internet is in their late teens/early 20s.

Goldboy

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, I was pretty young when I started actively posting on forums, so I think I subconsciously assume people online are older than me just out of habit.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
For a while I just assumed everyone was older than me. Then I assumed they were all my age. Now I assume most are younger than me. To paraphrase the great philosopher Wooderson, that's what I love about these Internet commenters, man; I get older, they stay the same age.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 36 so no

I honestly expect myself to be a solid 5 years older than the next oldest guy in most cases.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on what medium we're talking about.

Here, probably all around my age.

Certain games, I've found that the age disparity is much greater typically, but again, depends on the game.

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. I was on the internet from about 10 so I absolutely know there are plenty of 10 year olds on the internet and my Facebook feed is sufficient proof that there are now plenty of old people on the internet.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like in the late 90s, you could assume everyone talking about gaming was a teenager, and be correct.

Though in general, adult gamers weren't as much of a thing since the medium was so young.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but at 25 I imagine I'm gonna stop defaulting to that in my head pretty soon.

God, I feel old as fuck.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Definitely not. Most of the time it's blatantly obvious to me that it is not.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I tend to assume that most people on general forums and gaming forums are roughly 20-40. In the retrocomputing forums and other real geezer forums it's obvious that a higher proportion of active posters are my age or older.

Age only really becomes important in threads like "Who remembers seeing Star Wars in a cinema on first release?" Since there are so few of us old enough to remember that even as children, most responses seem to be of the form "No but I remember playing with the toys" or "I saw The Phantom Menace, though."

rancey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, pretty much. I know they aren't obviously but in my mind I'm talking to a bunch of people within 10 years of my age.

Nemo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not on the whole internet, but back around 2004-2005 I would assume most people on games and gaming forums were people from late 80's to early 90's kids, and I was usually right. Nowadays there's a whole other generation to account for, the...*shudders*...social media generation.