• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you believe in a higher power?

• Yes

Votes: 403 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 1,153 62.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 288 15.6%

• Total voters

Razgreez

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Oh, man, Mega-Post.

Why attempt to change what is your purpose? It was given to you by the originator of truth.
I did not use the word change. I used react. One can only react to something one is able to know or perceive. Trying to change it would be an exercise in futility anyway.

Okay, so this is a mess of terminology and dives into a tangent. Entropy and order are not diametrically opposed. You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what entropy actually is. Entropy is not a synonym for disorder. It is, essentially, a measurement of the dispersal of energy. None of this has anything to do with why Z needs an objective truth giver to assign it value.

It needs objective truth to assign it objective "value(s)". Failing that it is like any other subjective purpose which is ultimately meaningless.

After reading more of your posts, it's come to my attention that you don't actually use "objective" in a consistent manner. What do you mean by "objective" and "subjective?"

Objective as in constant not subject to change based on any other factors.

Subjective as in fluid, changeable. Dependent on other factors.

I don't think you understood the statement. You are the one arguing for the normative preference for objective purpose. I'm re-stating your implicit preference.

Let me rephrase my question:

Do you prefer an external, objective purpose, no matter what it is, over a purpose you define for yourself?

I prefer knowing objective purpose, no matter what it is, over not knowing and therefore defining it subjectively based on delusional desires.

Your claim is that subjective preferences and states do not matter, but yet you would attempt to change what you could about an objective, assigned purpose. You literally state that you would attempt to do so in the first block. If you were consistent, you would not try to change anything about your purpose, even if it were awful. That you would attempt to change it, as much as you could, both lends value to subjective states, and undermines your argument that an objective purpose is all that has meaning.

Again, I did not use the word change. That would be a contradiction. By definition I would not be able to change it.

Your preface doesn't matter because your value judgment is a separate issue.

When I say you don't have the evidence to make the claim that human actions and meaning "ultimately, objectively accomplishes nothing" you are making a philosophical argument that you have not supported with anything. Saying that the universe ends in heat death has nothing to do with your evaluation of the meaning of human effort because you haven't argued that they are necessarily related, at all.

I am supporting it with our existing understanding of the universe. We can only base our understanding on what we are able to observe. If you do not accept that the universe will eventually end and everything that occurred during its expansion is undone/non-existent/meaningless then that is fine but it would not conform to our present understanding. As stated previously, logically, if an outcome is certain then any effort spent in the process of achieving (or attempting to change) it is wasted/meaningless.

I'm not sure why you think studying the Bible and Quran gives you any sort of authority to state anything. I was on track to go to seminary at one point in my life. I studied the Bible my entire life, took upper division university courses on religion, Biblical exegesis, and Old and New Testament history and studies. Who cares? None of that has anything to do with the problem of evil trilemma.

That you think the Judeo-Christian and yes, Islamic, God is not omnibenevolent doesn't matter. It doesn't matter that I think he is awful. The problem of evil trilemma is addressing what believers claim are necessary characteristics of their God

Having studied them at least allows me to approach a discussion regarding them from an informed perspective. It does not matter "what I think". However, it's illogical to infer they are the same from reading those texts since their personalities are not consistent within some of the books and across all of them. It also does not matter what "believers" think. As I've stated previously belief and blind faith are folly. It's a crutch used by the intellectually lazy who do not wish to apply their minds.

What kind of scientist are you?

BSc Computer Science and Information Systems, MSc Finance. I work as a cross industry analyst developer.

Evolution doesn't have a perspective. The perspective you are looking for is one of philosophical naturalism.

True, I could use philosophical naturalism but then evolutionary theory predisposes that anyway.

In order for a given person to believe a thing, the level of evidence provided must meet the level of the claim. Belief is simply the acceptance of a thing as "true."

Belief is literally accepting a thing as true, by the most basic definition. So, yes, if you accept the existence of an all encopassing entity - God - you believe in God. Your messy usage of terminology makes your arguments far more convoluted than they need to be.

Belief can also be the acceptance of a thing as possible though. It has varying degrees. The term belief can also mean the subjective acceptance without any evidence due to bias. I.e. "I believe my brother is telling the truth because he is my brother"

What is this evidence that you have been presented with? Because...

... this is literally an argument from personal incredulity and fallacious reasoning.

You're free to see it as such. I have no qualms

What is this evidence? You are using "belief" when you want to use "faith" btw.

I have literally typed "belief or blind faith" together in my previous posts so I'm not sure why you would take issue with it now. I use the terms interchangeably since people generally accept belief to be irrational when discussing theological matters.

We don't know what the likelihood is. We have a sample size of 1.

Exactly. Yet we are so willing to accept the likelihood of other life existing that we often use terms like "does" or "must" even though we have no evidence to support that.

Observation is not necessarily objective. It's why observational study designs are extremely limited in terms of the conclusions they can draw.

"Evolution" is a term we use to describe a natural phenomena. It could have been called "Pastrami Fight". What we call it doesn't matter as much as it is something that happens. The theory of evolution is our explanation as to how it works.
I agree entirely

Something being unlikely doesn't matter given time and amount of chances for a thing to happen. Lightning hitting a person is extremely unlikely. Yet, it happens.

Honestly, lightning hitting you is not unlikely at all given the number of people getting struck by lighting ever year. If anything I could almost ensure you are struck by lightning given the right conditions. Hell I could produce the lightning to strike you with in a lab.

The likelihood of something occurring is extremely pertinent since it is how we manage risk and expectation. How a logical rational individual can brush that off as "doesn't matter" is... strange. Were we to propose the infinite simultaneous universe theory then yes I would admit that life elsewhere is not only is possible but is inevitable. Because literally everything is possible in such a scenario. But we have no evidence to back that up

Regarding my evidence, I might be able to provide it depending on your answer to the question i posted previously:

If i was to, for example, perfectly explain (in a step by step manner) a mechanism which we currently do not understand, the duplicitous wave and particle form of matter and light for example as observed via the double slit experiment, and then sometime in the future we develop an error free quantum computer capable of computing and thus modelling it which confirms my explanation. What would your observation be?

It merely allows me to ascertain how open one is to even considering the evidence. There's no point in conducting the exercise if the outcome is certain, after all.

None of this seemed to answer my questions, nor do you seem keen to answer them plainly without using verbosity

Also you can't cite evidence you have seen that led you to a conclusion and then when asked to show it ask me to instead ask me to be burdened with proving my position. My evidence would be that it's a statistical likelihood that we were created by probability because we are here and prove that it's possible, there are likely infinite cases were it didn't in fact work - this is why I mentioned the Just 6 Numbers book - it's as if infinite numbers of experiments with variables have been ran, and will run, and we are just one experiment that was a "success" - just because we haven't observed another doesn't mean it hasn't happened

The bolded is a complete hypothetical and I thus cannot accept it. We haven't even observed 1 what still "another". We assume life came about as such but cannot state so definitively. We would be basing a complete hypothetical on an assumption. It literally has no supporting evidence. All I wanted to do is ascertain, from my subjective point of view, how likely you were to consider the evidence I would provide, what still process it.

And what way is that? Are you talking metareligion?
It seems you don't want to answer certain questions.

I never claimed to have all the (any) answers :D

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I never claimed to have all the (any) answers :D
No, neither do i. At all, haha. And my english and academic knowledge sucks ass, so.. all i can talk with are simple words with the logic and limited knowledge i have at my disposal.

But it would be weird if you wouldn't know the answers to the questions i asked. Those are quite clear. Or at least i think.

So here again:
- did you adopt an existing religion (christianity, islam, etc)? You said you follow a path. Is that a path that already exists in one of the religions or did you formulate your own path based on a combination between religion and science?
- did you adopt the same religion that your parents have? (only relevant depending on the answer of the first question)
- are you familiar with Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe? (a slightly new question).

Anyway, as you already noticed, i don't have much sympathy for religion in general. Mainly because of certain rules that i consider silly and inhumane and i consider it all man made. As for a creator, i am interested in opinions and theories on that. As long as they're explained in a not too verbosity way, if possible.

Last edited:

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I do.

I'm not all that religious, though. I tend to carry my spirituality internally. But yes, I believe in God.

Oct 25, 2017
Newcastle, UK
How else would they come to existence???
Who says that non-existence is even an option? "Nothing" might just be an abstract human idea. We can't even really imagine it, you probably picture a black void but a black void is something. From my very, very limited understanding of quantum mechanics (so someone correct me if I'm wrong), "nothing" is an incredibly unstable and unachievable environment and even in a perfect vacuum particles start bouncing in and out of existence. If something can happen, it will happen. We know this universe can happen because we live in it, so it was inevitable that at some point it would spring into existence during an infinitely long period of quantum potential.

Dec 12, 2017
Who says that non-existence is even an option? "Nothing" might just be an abstract human idea. We can't even really imagine it, you probably picture a black void but a black void is something. From my very, very limited understanding of quantum mechanics (so someone correct me if I'm wrong), "nothing" is an incredibly unstable and unachievable environment and even in a perfect vacuum particles start bouncing in and out of existence. If something can happen, it will happen. We know this universe can happen because we live in it, so it was inevitable that at some point it would spring into existence during an infinitely long period of quantum potential.
My point is that if nothing is something, I believe that something created that something. Something created that black void, but we will never understand who or why.

Aurizen

Oct 25, 2017
Philly
I'm unsure. I had miracles happen a few times in my life. But I'm hoping to get a new job that will Jumpstart my career if I get it I'd definitely be a believer.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't because any implication of a "higher power" means that this thing also had to come into existence somehow, which only deflects the question one level higher. The only possible answer is infinity.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know of any evidence for it, so no. There could be god(s) out there or supernatural forces out there, especially if they hide themselves. We don't have any evidence of such beings existing or interacting with reality, so if there are some gods sitting outside reality where we can never detect them, it seems kind of pointless to believe in that.

leenbzoold

Apr 5, 2018
That didn't answer my question of "Which God is the correct one." Again: those that have their own beliefs will make the same claim that they converse with their god, and their god answers their prayers. The exact same claim that you make.

My question was, how do you know that you're praising the correct god when theirs does the exact same thing?

It's not clear to me what exactly you are implying here.
I have something that works perfectly fine. Now i should be concerned because there are people who claim to also have something that works? Why? How would that concern me?

Unless you are actually implying a rather creative theological scenario in which

1. there are several real gods
2. these gods can be adressed individually
3. each god can answer prayers
4. if a god is adressed in prayer, that god will answer that prayer only to the person that was praying
5. only one of these gods is "correct" (I suppose you mean that only the correct god is allowed to judge people after they died)
6. So then it's either that the "correct" god is actually allmighty, even compared to the other real gods, but he still let's them do their business for some reason
7. Or there is an additional layer of godhood laying above these real gods that set all of this up on purpose, one "correct" god, many "false" gods, then sit back and see what happens...
Well that would be some sort of gameshow i guess.

Now if we really are secretly part of a gameshow of that magnitude, then quite frankly, how could i care. Since there is no way for us to break out.
And i already dont care, as i already have something that works.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Well, where did that matter come from? How else would it get there? Since science can't explain, I just default to creation. But I'm agnostic, so I don't really know.

See, you aren't answering my question. You are asking another question. Why does us not knowing necessitate creation?

You are using the "god of the gaps". Since we do not currently know, you assume creation. While it is entirely possible that everything simply already existed.

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I've never grown up in a religious family, household or environment, though a couple of my close relatives including my mother believe in things like karma and reincarnation, which quite frankly is still a load of nonsense to me. I remain open to the possibility of a greater intelligence, presence or entity that played an instrumental role in shaping the very fabric of existence our human minds can currently comprehend, but at this juncture divinity is as infalsifiable and improvable as the notion that we're all slightly more intelligent-than-usual Sims residing in a complex simulation created and overseen by an advanced civilisation.

Our very existence is so tenuous it's absurd for me to ever believe in the idea of an all-loving, all-knowing, almighty God who fine-tuned our universe and world for our benefit. We were lucky life at all managed to survive through at least five cataclysmic episodes in our planet's history, that mammals were able to fully thrive following the extinction of the dinosaurs...and that we've yet to be wiped out from a whole catalogue of plausible doomsday scenarios, from a resistant bacteria apocalypse to a lethal dose of sterilising radiation coming from a gamma ray burst emitted a few thousand light years away from us. We're lucky to even get as far as we have because Jupiter is out there to sweep up most of the incoming asteroids from threatening the inner solar system. If our cold, uncaring universe - and our own world for that matter - can be commended for something besides its sheer scale and visual majesty, it's for its relentless willingness to quickly snuff out life as we know it without a second thought.

ninjabot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not clear to me what exactly you are implying here.
I have something that works perfectly fine. Now i should be concerned because there are people who claim to also have something that works? Why? How would that concern me?

Because the very same thing that works for you (faith) works for them, and has lead them to what they believe to be the truth. I don't know what religion you are, but assuming you were a Christian, you'd be expected to accept the Christian God as the one true God, which would mean all others have to be false. Yet, that's impossible if you truly believe faith is an accurate path to the truth, because everyone else who follows a different religion has come to believe it's the right one the same way you came to believe YOURS is the right one: through faith.

I dunno if it concerns you or not (it should, because truth matters more than belief, since one determines the world around you while the other just determines how you see the world around you). I just want to know how you know you're right, and they aren't.

Unless you are actually implying a rather creative theological scenario in which

4. if a god is adressed in prayer, that god will answer that prayer only to the person that was praying
5. only one of these gods is "correct" (I suppose you mean that only the correct god is allowed to judge people after they died)
6. So then it's either that the "correct" god is actually allmighty, even compared to the other real gods, but he still let's them do their business for some reason
7. Or there is an additional layer of godhood laying above these real gods that set all of this up on purpose, one "correct" god, many "false" gods, then sit back and see what happens...
Well that would be some sort of gameshow i guess.

You're over thinking it.

I'm literally saying that the exact same tools you used to come to the conclusion that your god is real are being used by other people, and they're coming to the conclusion a different religion is the correct one. With a different god. I'm asking you how do you know that you're worshiping the right god, and they aren't. Not if you care or not. I'm asking how you know you're right.

Now if we really are secretly part of a gameshow of that magnitude, then quite frankly, how could i care. Since there is no way for us to break out.
And i already dont care, as i already have something that works.

...I'll try this another way.

You and I are walking down a dirt road and we reach a dead end. We can't go forward anymore, but we CAN go to the left or right on two different paths. Path A, and path B. Only one of them leads to heaven. You follow path A. You see signs that convince you you're going the right direction toward heaven. I take path B, going in the OPPOSITE direction as you, and I see signs that prove to me that I'm going in the right direction toward heaven.

Which of us chose the right path? And how do you know? You can again simply say you don't care, but that's pretty telling don't you think? That you're willing to assert something is true at first, only to say that you don't care if it's true immediately after? Because if it works, but you DON'T know it's true, then you've absolutely no way of knowing that the results you're getting are coming from this thing that you "don't care" whether it's correct or not.

Last edited:

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Something HAD to create the energy and matter for us to exist. But it's a force that we will probably never understand.

Why wouldn't the universe be like a self-shaping organization instead of being made by a an outside potter maker?

I mean, look at your organism right now. Your body produces hair without you willing it, your blood circulates, your nerves respond. Is there an outside you pushing that around? No, it's all intrinsic, happen by a kind of "innate intelligence" if we were to define it with language. And yet, if we study anything of the universe, this type of innate property and function and can be seen with the interaction of processes.

All we can see is a universe that is an interconnected, interdependent framework with no outsiders to it, no God who made it, and no "I" added to it. It's when we think of outsiders we create the problems dualism usually makes, and they're almost always the massive scale problems of human suffering. People want to feel like they belong because they've defined themselves as alien visitors to the universe, and that's just the entry-level problem!

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't believe in God like old man in the sky or that God exists in any form imaginable to humans, but I just feel like there's too much beauty in the universe for this to be an accident. I don't think we will ever know the answers and I don't think we're meant to. The theory that we're like ants in part of something much larger than this is pretty terrifying when you think about it though...

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

zb4Rw8H.jpg

karby

Oct 27, 2017
I'm outta the loop on the current discussion, but t answer the original question, yes.

I've had too many experiences not to.

Nov 15, 2017
Skövde
I will never circumvent or otherwise diminish the scientific understanding of the world on the basis of Nothing.

"God", is a fictional entity given characteristics that change with the tides of cultural relevancy. Seemingly all cultures known, have had fictional stories in place to explain the unexplained. In all those stories, the concept of a "god" is always there.
Why? Because all stories is told, by necessity, of what we know: Thunder instills fear; if someone is controlling it - it's a human-like superhero who is angry.

It's blatantly obvious that these stories, as they always has, is revolved upon the experiences of the the people who experienced them. That, however, is not nearly enough to make a credible statement on the actual nature of the universe.

leenbzoold

Apr 5, 2018
because everyone else who follows a different religion has come to believe it's the right one the same way you came to believe YOURS is the right one: through faith.
tools you used to come to the conclusion that your god is real
hmhm.
There are no tools.
And there never was a conclusion.
I'll quote the second post that i made in this thread:
The existance of God is not provable.
No line of thoughts can possible end up at the absolute certainty of Gods existance.
If you possess absolute certainty of Gods existance, then that is because God himself just defined it to be so.
Now what does this really mean.
Nothing of what we see or even of what we could theoretically be seeing is necessarily a proof for Gods existance.
Even if you were confronted with a miracle that literally seems to defy the laws of physics, you don't necessarily need to conclude that someone is controlling the laws of physics.
They could just have had a random little spasm right there, just like they could have just randomly spawned into existance in the first place.
So under these circumstances i can claim only one thing: God made me to be sure of his existance (and identity).
I am being asked "how do you know?".
I "know", but there is no "how".
There is nothing from within me ("me" as a materialistic pile of flesh) that has led to this.
I believe, but not "because" of anything that we can detect, miracle or not.

You and I are walking down a dirt road and we reach a dead end. We can't go forward anymore, but we CAN go to the left or right on two different paths. Path A, and path B. Only one of them leads to heaven. You follow path A. You see signs that convince you you're going the right direction toward heaven. I take path B, going in the OPPOSITE direction as you, and I see signs that prove to me that I'm going in the right direction toward heaven.
Now i've kinda established that my faith doesnt really depend on signs, but we can still discuss what this metaphor would imply.
First of all, what are these signs that we are seing. Are you talking about classical miracles, defying the laws of physics, etc.?
Now if there are classical miracles, but all of them point to different paths of "salvation", then that would heavily imply that there are in fact multiple real gods that literally just play a stupid game with us.
If you adress a god in prayer, then that god answers, adressing you specifically, shows you his ways etc...
And then it turns out he just tricked you to go to hell all along.
And no other God bothered to intervene, because apparently they don't care about you either.
Then I see no other conclusion for you than to just say "fuck all of them and their goddamn game".
Well of course you could also just comply, take your chances and pick one path.
You would have to choose only according to your already existing personal preferences of course.

Now all of this shows:
"thinking" doesn't really get us to certainty about gods existance. And even if it did, it wouldn't help us choosing between several potential real gods.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
There's is so much suffering in the world how could you? I wouldn't expect this hypothetical god to cure every kid with cancer, but when there are multiple genocides going on around the world, that NK even exists...I stopped believing in a higher power a long time ago.

Oct 25, 2017
There's is so much suffering in the world how could you? I wouldn't expect this hypothetical god to cure every kid with cancer, but when there are multiple genocides going on around the world, that NK even exists...I stopped believing in a higher power a long time ago.

I'm an atheist as there is no proof of any god claim, but a god could just not care about our problems. It is not required that they would give a crap about their creation.

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe God just cares more about Christiano Ronaldo winning another CL title than some random hungry child in Africa?

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Not in the sense of a supreme being or conscious entity that designed and planned everything out. But I think there are things about our universe we will likely never fully understand and mysteries we'll never be able to solve, especially things beyond the physical. If there is something out there that's responsible for the creation of our universe, I doubt it's even aware of us, or is even still around. I honestly wouldn't rule anything out completely just because of how little we understand of our own world and ourselves. People tend to look into things too much, we love to create context and find intention in coincidence. It makes life more interesting. Either way, I don't think it matters a whole lot whether any gods or the supernatural are real, but it's fun to imagine.

OldBoyGamer

Dec 11, 2017
Do you need to somehow be physically present within a video game world in order to play the video game? because that would be a fitting equivalence.

That is a very good equivalence because humans created video games in the same way they invented God. In both instances you see the work of humans throughout the subject matter. The only difference is that no one believes a video game was created by a super being if some kind.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I grew up in a very religious family and my sister is even a nun but I don't believe in god. We're just a fortunate, or unfortunate, accident that happened in the universe. Just look around the world, after a deep and unbiased thinking, and tell me there is god. If there is he's a fucking joke and don't deserve that. We might not have a god but we have each other and I hope people realize that.

I do realize the power of belief and that is why I don't push my own into others unless of course if it's doing harm already, neglecting medicine etc.

Razgreez

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
No, neither do i. At all, haha. And my english and academic knowledge sucks ass, so.. all i can talk with are simple words with the logic and limited knowledge i have at my disposal.

But it would be weird if you wouldn't know the answers to the questions i asked. Those are quite clear. Or at least i think.

So here again:
- did you adopt an existing religion (christianity, islam, etc)? You said you follow a path. Is that a path that already exists in one of the religions or did you formulate your own path based on a combination between religion and science?
I will attempt to answer to the best of my ability. I have not "adopted" anything. The path is alluded to in seemingly all religions, at least those I have taken the time/been given the opportunity to study. I could not formulate this path as it is one which, appears to, lead(s) to objective truth, and therefore must have existed for as long as objective truth has i.e. always. The path is not based on religion nor science since both are subjective. I merely use knowledge and science as tools to evaluate the understanding of this path which is why it constantly has to be reevaluated because knowledge increases and science changes over time.
- did you adopt the same religion that your parents have? (only relevant depending on the answer of the first question)
As the above, no. I have not 'adopted' anything. My parents live, from my perspective, very different lives. They have no yearning for objective truth and are simply happy to follow, to a large extent, that which their forefathers did. That does not make me better than them but it does frustrate me somewhat. I cannot have conversations like these with them, they simply stare at me blankly.
- are you familiar with Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe? (a slightly new question).
I was vaguely familiar with and am now much more familiar with it (i read the white paper before responding). It ultimately posits that the universe (and by extension reality) is self-selecting and self designing yet not personified (by this I do not mean human or physical form). It satisfies it's own argument of consistency and even references absolute truth but fails in explaining the "how" i.e. how does it self-design itself during all states of self generation. It also defends intelligent design (it has to to remain consistent) and rightly confesses "in any traditional scientific context, "randomness" is synonymous with "indeterminacy" or "acausality", and when all is said and done, acausality means just what it always has: magic".

It's an interesting theory.
Anyway, as you already noticed, i don't have much sympathy for religion in general. Mainly because of certain rules that i consider silly and inhumane and i consider it all man made. As for a creator, i am interested in opinions and theories on that. As long as they're explained in a not too verbosity way, if possible.

I don't feel that religion needs sympathy. All human constructs have aspects of truth to them even the most absurd religions however, religions are not sentient and therefore have no subjective need for sympathy. Besides, given a reality without objective purpose, isn't it arrogant to believe that one's actions and emotions are somehow meaningful.

As I've reiterated countless times my desire is to know objective/absolute truth and, by extension, purpose. To be able to ask the question "why?" and receive a satisfactory justification. Failing that I would rather off this pointless ride since, as I've stated countless times, I would literally have no reason to endure this exercise in futility.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I will attempt to answer to the best of my ability. I have not "adopted" anything. The path is alluded to in seemingly all religions, at least those I have taken the time/been given the opportunity to study. I could not formulate this path as it is one which, appears to, lead(s) to objective truth, and therefore must have existed for as long as objective truth has i.e. always. The path is not based on religion nor science since both are subjective. I merely use knowledge and science as tools to evaluate the understanding of this path which is why it constantly has to be reevaluated because knowledge increases and science changes over time.

As the above, no. I have not 'adopted' anything. My parents live, from my perspective, very different lives. They have no yearning for objective truth and are simply happy to follow, to a large extent, that which their forefathers did. That does not make me better than them but it does frustrate me somewhat. I cannot have conversations like these with them, they simply stare at me blankly.

I was vaguely familiar with and am now much more familiar with it (i read the white paper before responding). It ultimately posits that the universe (and by extension reality) is self-selecting and self designing yet not personified (by this I do not mean human or physical form). It satisfies it's own argument of consistency and even references absolute truth but fails in explaining the "how" i.e. how does it self-design itself during all states of self generation. It also defends intelligent design (it has to to remain consistent) and rightly confesses "in any traditional scientific context, "randomness" is synonymous with "indeterminacy" or "acausality", and when all is said and done, acausality means just what it always has: magic".

It's an interesting theory.

I don't feel that religion needs sympathy. All human constructs have aspects of truth to them even the most absurd religions however, religions are not sentient and therefore have no subjective need for sympathy. Besides, given a reality without objective purpose, isn't it arrogant to believe that one's actions and emotions are somehow meaningful.

As I've reiterated countless times my desire is to know objective/absolute truth and, by extension, purpose. To be able to ask the question "why?" and receive a satisfactory justification. Failing that I would rather off this pointless ride since, as I've stated countless times, I would literally have no reason to endure this exercise in futility.
I'd imagine "staring at you blankly" is a common occurrence...what is your path? What objective truths have you landed on?

Are you actually able to define anything you are saying plainly?

You call other people frustrating, but you are becoming beyond it....

OldBoyGamer

Dec 11, 2017

I have a friend who talks in a very similar way to you when I attempt to discuss religion with him (he's recently found Christianity after a lifetime of non belief - he's about 50 now).

It's interesting because what he and you, appear to me to do, is that you're fully aware of the questions asked about religion and God and you attempt to circumvent the asking of those questions be being purposefully obtuse and noncommittal.

You use words such as such as 'objective truth' without clearly defining it.
You make nonsensical comments such as 'the path is alluded to in seemingly all religions' without clearly stating what the path actually is.
You say 'the path is not based on religion or science' and follow this up with a sweet statement 'I merely use knowledge and science as tools'. Awesome stuff.

And the finale is just sublime - your evaluation and understanding of this path you haven't defined is constantly reevaluated because the science you don't use changes. As does the knowledge you have gained from non comittal sources.

Sorry mate. I don't mean to call you out or ridicule you. People believe what they want to believe and that's fair enough. But I really do wish you'd just have the strength of conviction in your beliefs to just say it.

'I believe in God. I have no proof. I don't need proof. He's real to me and that's good enough for me. I don't care about evidence. I don't care that my beliefs have no basis in reality or truth. I don't care that my beliefs have no basis in logic. I don't care that my beliefs fail all logic trees. I don't care about any of those things. I have faith. I believe. That's good enough for me'.

I'd have more respect for a believer to say that than all the nonsense they spout.

With apologies to you. It's a bugbear of mine and is more my problem than yours.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I have a friend who talks in a very similar way to you when I attempt to discuss religion with him (he's recently found Christianity after a lifetime of non belief - he's about 50 now).

It's interesting because what he and you, appear to me to do, is that you're fully aware of the questions asked about religion and God and you attempt to circumvent the asking of those questions be being purposefully obtuse and noncommittal.

You use words such as such as 'objective truth' without clearly defining it.
You make nonsensical comments such as 'the path is alluded to in seemingly all religions' without clearly stating what the path actually is.
You say 'the path is not based on religion or science' and follow this up with a sweet statement 'I merely use knowledge and science as tools'. Awesome stuff.

And the finale is just sublime - your evaluation and understanding of this path you haven't defined is constantly reevaluated because the science you don't use changes. As does the knowledge you have gained from non comittal sources.

Sorry mate. I don't mean to call you out or ridicule you. People believe what they want to believe and that's fair enough. But I really do wish you'd just have the strength of conviction in your beliefs to just say it.

'I believe in God. I have no proof. I don't need proof. He's real to me and that's good enough for me. I don't care about evidence. I don't care that my beliefs have no basis in reality or truth. I don't care that my beliefs have no basis in logic. I don't care that my beliefs fail all logic trees. I don't care about any of those things. I have faith. I believe. That's good enough for me'.

I'd have more respect for a believer to say that than all the nonsense they spout.

With apologies to you. It's a bugbear of mine and is more my problem than yours.
Thank you, I thought the problem was just me attempting to understand what they are saying but you've helped to explain my frustrations

OldBoyGamer

Dec 11, 2017
[QUOTE="So under these circumstances i can claim only one thing: God made me to be sure of his existance (and identity).[/QUOTE]

That's one heck of a claim. And one giant leap for mankind.
There is no answer to X that is conclusive. Which leads you to state categorically that 'God made me to be sure of his existence'.

So in a universe spilling over with inconclusive answers, that's the one thing you decide is conclusive. Mate...........