• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you believe in a higher power?

• Yes

Votes: 403 21.9%
  • No

Votes: 1,153 62.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 288 15.6%

• Total voters

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm curious how the breakdown is on Era -

I went to a Christian school growing up and have Christian parents. The school was whitebread middle class homogeny, but nice overall.

Then I went to a diverse high school and things were so much better and more eye opening. Jesus? I ditched 'em, no regrets. Don't think I'd ever send my own kids to a school as homogenous as the one I was at when I was young

College was also a bop.

Anyway, with respect for the fact you are not here to convert others just because they expressed their beliefs to you, answer my poll.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Why yes I do.

2a1.gif

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, but feel free to believe what you want as long as you don't try to push your beliefs on to me.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I have family who are religious, and I had some religious friends growing up, I even went to church occasionally just to keep them company, but nah, I don't believe in a higher power. Other than a couple friends and maybe a 10 other kids at my highschool I don't remember anyone ever talking about religion even.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
My brain cannot compute how something can come from nothing, so how the universe came to be without some kind of creating force doesn't make sense to me. So a power beyond our understanding is something I believe in, yes.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, i think so.

tbh i've been going back and forth on the existence of some kind of higher power for a long time.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i do believe there's something else outside of what we know, if anything because, at least yet, science didn't give us an answer how at one point there was nothing, and then something started, that thing being the universe and not necessarily life itself. And while i don't believe in the catholic message to the T,i doadmit there's the possibility that an original true message was there at the beginning, but got watered down and modified pasing through men and ages.

this being said, i also believe that if a divinity exists, it doesn't directly intervene in the human world so its existence or not is inconsequental for us

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I believe its possible, even likely, that there are higher "powers" (more advanced races of beings with powers that could be seen through ignorance as magic or divine) than human beings in the universe.

I definitely don't believe in one singular "almighty" being that alone created and watches over everything and has infinite power or whatever. And I reject the notion that if there were, that I'm obligated to agree with and worship this being.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Yes. I'm fairly religious but I wouldn't call myself "spiritual". I don't really know what that means.

Furthermore, I think my belief in God and my Religiousness are not exactly congruent.

One is a personal thing and the other is more cultural.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Nope and it's images like this that confirms it for me.

690958main_p1237a1.jpg

In that image there are only 2 stars. The rest are galaxies. If there was a higher power there are far more interesting things out there than me worship them.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
i believe in myself, so now we must determine if i'm an higher power or not, maybe it will reveal itself if the universe is in danger, who knows???

Oct 28, 2017
100% Yes!

Sure do. I believe their is a being who is ap advanced it may as well be god. Whose thoughts are so far beyond ours we cant dream to truly comprehend them.

To use the tired metaphor for comparisons sake; we are the ants and it is humans. We simply cant grasp such a being even if it wanted us to truly understand it.

And I always tell nonbelievers if you don't believe in "god" then do you really think its logical that in an infinite multiverse humans are the supreme intelligence? We are the pinnacle? No way.

Not Bad.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Sure do. I believe their is a being who is ap advanced it may as well be god. Whose thoughts are so far beyond ours we cant dream to truly comprehend them.

To use the tired metaphor for comparisons sake; we are the ants and it is humans. We simply cant grasp such a being even if it wanted us to truly understand it.

And I always tell nonbelievers if you don't believe in "god" then do you really think its logical that in an infinite multiverse humans are the supreme intelligence? We are the pinnacle? No way.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend believes in the universe god, and while I think its kind of silly I get where she comes from. In this view, god does not influence people and unlike the clockwork god, he is also not "conscious". God is simply the forces of the universe. Entropy, inertia, mass, gravity, etc. All the fields and forces that we feel every day are the only real higher power, therefore they are god.

Jaxx_377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Boston, Ma
Nope!

I also dont believe in
Santa Clause
The Easter bunny
Bigfoot
The Loch Ness Monster
The G Spot
Or Intelligent life anywhere in the Universe including here.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Part of me likes to think so. Mind you I'm not the kind of person who goes to church every Sunday, but in some aspects, I'd like to think that people who pass on can do so to a better plain of existence and that my loved ones that moved on are in better places.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, just doesn't make any sense scientifically.

I don't believe either but this is a silly argument. The whole point of a god or gods is that they are outside the realm of science and can manipulate things. You can say that god is unnecessary within science, but you cannot say it doesnt make sense.