• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you have faith that Xbox Game Studios can produce consistent, quality games?

• Yes, I believe they're on the right track and will eventually consistently produce top quality games

Votes: 512 43.5%
  • No, they haven't proven yet that they can consistently output quality games

Votes: 609 51.7%
  • I think they're already consistently producing quality games

Votes: 57 4.8%

• Total voters

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
GOTY incoming.
FelineBlackCranefly-size_restricted.gif

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Define quality? They will 100% be better next generation. Will they pull annual GOTY and GOTG like Sony, Nintendo and Rock*? Ehh, not that far. I suspect their games to hit 85- low 90s for their top 3 developers and the games that ranking in the 60s to be in mid 7s and above next generation. It looks like their games are getting time, money and possibly more creative freedom.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Personally, I'm a PlayStation gamer looking in from the outside. I used to have a 360 before switching over to PS3 so I haven't played any of the MS titles in a long while.

Same boat OP. I really hope their first party lineup eventually rivals that of Sony's and pulls me back in!

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Basically. MS throwing around a bunch of cash and Phil Spencer wearing cool t-shirts doesn't suddenly make the last several years of 1st party mediocrity disappear. MS will have to, you know, make some good games first.
Yes! Exactly they need to prove themselves. They talk a lot but not delivery when it come to games.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
I believe they can nail it next gen. I really hope.
This gen has been really messed up beside Ori and Forza. Otherwise it's just meh.

Nov 30, 2017
Voted yes but dont care for the wording. Look at all the stages a game goes through to make it to retail.

Most projects fail or get shelved way before coming out the gate.

I think they have a good shot now though and some new, successful things coming.

Feb 10, 2018
They have talented studios. So yes.
I just hope they can recognise if a franchise is getting repetitive and obsolete.
I think Halo and maybe gears are strong franchises that can last.
Sony seem to be more willing to put franchises on hold, like they did with killzone, however killzone was a weaker franchise then gears.

MS do seem to be doing this, halo infinite seems to be more of a return to form and gears 5 is trying new things.
However while having a gears + a halo studio is fine they have to remember games can go stail.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I think I'm done waiting. I went back to consoles last year and sold off my gaming PC to get a 4k TV. Went with an X1X over the PS4 Pro and I kind of regret it now. I realized the other day I really don't play my X1X that much and do almost all my gaming on the Switch.

The hardware and the services are excellent, which sold me in the first place, but it just doesn't really matter when it feels like there's not a lot to sink your teeth into. Would love to play stuff like GoW. Next gen I will definitely go back to Sony.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Hopefully this gen was a wake up call. They nailed the one X, game pass is great, and if they pair that hardware philosophy with some killer exclusives with a development cycle less than 8 years, and don't try any anti consumer drm bullshit, it'll be great. Remember the days when they had splinter cell, fable etc

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Have enjoyed most of their games this gen. Have loved a few of them. The new studios have a ton of talent. The old studios are expanding.

Yeah, the future is bright.

Oct 26, 2017
I look forward to the future of Xbox. Yes they need to show that they can have new studios and be successful at it too. Have the management be proper, have games releasing on time (sure delays happen but we can't have a Crackdown situation again) and let them be of high quality. On the same quality as Gears, FM and FH, Halo etc.

The good thing here is that we have several studios that know what they are doing. Obsidian is one of them, Ninja Theory is one of them. The Initiative consists of a dream team, just like Playground studio 2 and their upcoming projects should be very promising. New studios is a fantastic thing and the future is looking bright when it comes to that but it's no guarantee of success.

Let there be no more studio closures, games being canceled. Go hard MS!

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I personally have my doubts. I think they'll produce the odd great game, but I believe the majority of their output will continue to be fairly under par. Studios like Compulsion, InXile, Undead Labs, Ninja Theory etc aren't exactly known for a super high calibre of releases, and that coupled with Microsoft's recent history, quality and mismanagement of so many tentpole releases and IP's, certainly doesn't instill the greatest confidence. The only studio in their staple I really have the utmost confidence in is Playground Games, but that's pretty much it.

It'll be interesting to see how Gears 5 fares, because perhaps that'll give us some indication on whether Microsoft can still put out GOTY quality AAA releases outside of Forza Horizon, and if they have what it takes to completely turn the ship around on a somewhat declining franchise.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
They already did it in the past. They are doing it this gen too, at a lower rate. Obviously the only way is up with the heavy investment on Xbox Studios.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Considering what has happened over the last year+, 'waiting' for MS to turn the 1P games corner for a decade and then bailing NOW is pretty stupid. Betting on the wrong horse all the way up to the point it starts speeding up.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
They already do it. Halo 5 was quality, Gears 4 was quality, Sea of Thieves is quality (took a minute), Quantum Break is quality, Sunset Overdrive. I can go on. I mean Forza is the most consistent series this gen and last gen. I don't know where this blood in the water mentality for misfires comes from and how we pretend Sony doesn't also have these misfires. Sony struggled early this gen. They struggled last gen too. 3 million selling openings? PlayStation wasn't capable of that last gen. Halo owns that NPD list. Crackdown 3? Knack and Knack 2 are just as bad. State of Decay? Killzone Shadowfall faltered it's potential too. Let's not forget the VR misfires all over the place. Both of them have struggles if you look beyond the marquee devs.

So yeah I have faith because they've been doing it the whole time. Quality isn't solely beholden to 90+ titles.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
They actually have a solid stable of talented developers and that's what matters. They'll be fine.

Crackdown 3 feels like the last holdout of the "old" Xbox. I'm expecting good things going forward.

Feb 10, 2018
I personally have my doubts. I think they'll produce the odd great game, but I believe the majority of their output will continue to be fairly under par. Studios like Compulsion, InXile, Undead Labs, Ninja Theory etc aren't exactly known for a super high calibre of releases, and that coupled with Microsoft's recent history, quality and mismanagement of so many tentpole releases and IP's, certainly doesn't instill the greatest confidence. The only studio in their staple I really have the utmost confidence in is Playground Games, but that's pretty much it.

It'll be interesting to see how Gears 5 fares, because perhaps that'll give us some indication on whether Microsoft can still put out GOTY quality AAA releases outside of Forza Horizon, and if they have what it takes to completely turn the ship around on a somewhat declining franchise.

It will probably get an 89 meta. Same as horizon ZD.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
No, Microsoft's management to their teams is lackluster

Closing talented studios + canceling games + forcing teams to develop specific titles (343 / The Coalition) without the freedom of creativity

Supporting and releasing a bad game like Crackdown 3 (which everyone noticed it's mediocrity from day 1) was the last straw that shows Microsoft's low standards which made me question their ability to make great games with the newly acquired studios

I'm hopeful for their future but not confident.

Last edited:

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
From my point of view, the next projects from Obsidian and Ninja Theory will make or break Xbox first-party. Those recent acquisitions are the only studios in their fold that I have any confidence in and, while it's better than where they started, it's still not a vast portfolio.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
They already did it in the past. They are doing it this gen too, at a lower rate. Obviously the only way is up with the heavy investment on Xbox Studios.
Yup. A bigger issue than MC scores the past few years has been lower budget AA games being viewed as tentpole titles because, well, MS just wasn't producing high budget titles outside Gears (which is still great) Halo and Forza. It's like if Sony had to depend on Knack, Until Dawn, Detroit, R&C and Gravity Rush 2 to represent their first party for years at a time.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It will probably get an 89 meta. Same as horizon ZD.

What are you basing this off exactly? Marketing speak and actual delivery are two completely different things. In truth, we haven't seen nearly enough to conclude anything of its quality, though in the short snippets they've shown off the combat and non vehicle/traversal segments still look rather linear and restrictive, which if indicative of the game in a wider sense, I'm not necessarily sure is going to do it many favours. The arena and combat design I feel needs to adopt far more of a wide linear or open design to give people a bit more freedom in engagements and exploration, unless they're going more of a strictly horror route that is.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
The Coalition, 343i, Rare, Turn 10, Playground, Obsidian, and Ninja Theory are all quality developers. InXile, Compulsion, and Undead Labs have much to prove, and hopefully they get plenty of time to develop something.

I don't have any fears about Obsidian. It looks like the reunion of Cain and Boyarsky is already leading to great things with The Outer Worlds. Obsidian held onto Josh Sawyer, which was another critical component. The thought of Obsidian releasing multiple 3D RPGs next gen is glorious. Playground will continue to make the best racing games on the market, but they're also starting up a new team to bring Fable back to life. Presumably, as a standard singleplayer RPG this time. I hope Ninja Theory continues to make Hellblade-scope games that focus on production values and creativity. InXile and Compulsion (and perhaps Obsidian) should take a good look at what made Hellblade work, imo.

There's also plenty to be excited for on the external developer end. Age of Empires is coming back, and the X-COM-like Gears Tactics could be interesting. Hopefully Microsoft and Moon can continue their partnership with Ori.

Yup. A bigger issue than MC scores the past few years has been lower budget AA games being viewed as tentpole titles because, well, MS just wasn't producing high budget titles outside Gears (which is still great) Halo and Forza. It's like if Sony had to depend on Knack, Until Dawn, Detroit, R&C and Gravity Rush 2 to represent their first party for years at a time.

That would be ok if the AA-sized games were of Hellblade's quality. ReCore had a chance but shipped with some big technical issues that weren't fixed for a year until the Definitive Edition patch came out. It's now a pretty fun and quirky title, but the damage was already done.

May 17, 2018
Maybe.

I do think a lot of management is still too focused on whatever's hot at the moment and shooter games. There is still a lot of old guard at MS that needs to move on.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
They certainly have a lot talented folks over there. I have high hopes for the new additions to the Xbox studios family.

My only wish is that they let 343 and The Coalition expand like Playground and have two teams. One working on the tentpole Halo and Gears games and another working a new IP or making use of one of the many IPs that Xbox has in chest.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I think they'll be able to. They're snatching up quality developers, and expanding both those developers and their existing ones. They're making their first party studios more close knit, and promoting cross pollination and sharing among their different studios. Furthermore, they seem to be creating little "hubs" of developers by these acquisitions. They seem more willing to take a step back and let their developers make the games they want to make, and thus make the games they're good at making. And looking at Shannon Loftis' comments about Halo Infinite, they seem to be in the business of getting their teams the tools they need to succeed. And now that Phil Spencer is reporting directly to the CEO, and finances aren't as tight as they once were, that ultimately shouldn't be a factor either.

They're definitely on the right path.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
I expect some studios to deliver better games sooner than later, like 344, the coalition, Inxile. Whereas others have already a good track record like Playground, Turn 10, Ninja Theory and Obsidian. Others I don't expect so make good games like Rare, Compulsion, Undead Labs but they will cover while in niche games.

I neither expect all MS studios to deliver the kind of games that appeal to anyone but will try to make games that will appeal to small markets aswell as others to have a broader AAA appeal. I think their goal is variety rather than equal kind of excellence with safer games. That's an approach I like.

Also, I don't think MS to equal Sony levels of quality for their campaigns as I don't expect Sony to do good multiplayer games.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
I think they're doing a better job of assembling studios under their umbrella, rather than putting together make-shift teams for specific short-term projects. Now Microsoft needs to hear their studios' pitches - and let them make their games.

Microsoft needs teams that work together for years and have clear direction. I mean, how many leaders did Crackdown 3 have? How many iterations did the Fable franchise go through before Lionhead was shutdown? Why do third-parties not make big-budget exclusive sequels with Microsoft this generation? Microsoft needs studios to work on games that the teams want to make, that know how to work together, and that have the resources to make a strong finished product. I think that apparatus is finally in place...for titles arriving in 2021.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
343 has yet to make a bad game, Halo might not be for everyone anymore but it's still a good franchise. Coalition hasnt made a bad guy, 10turn hasn't made a bad game, Playground hasnt made a bad game.

These teams are being given a lot of freedom and time now with Phil at the helmet, plus the additions of Ninja Theory, Inexhile, Obsidian, the expansion of Playgrounds. They're in an excellent position to start the next generation.

I actually beleive all 3 major platform holders are in the best positions they could possibly be in.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't, whenever I think back on MS this gen all I can think about is promises to get better... eventually.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Both Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves were in development for 4-5 years with teams of 200+, hence I really don't think the issue was or is with budgets. To put that into perspective, the new God of War also had a 4 year development cycle with a team of 200+.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Both Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves were in development for 4-5 years with teams of 200+, hence I really don't think the issue was or is with budgets. To put that into perspective, the new God of War also had a 4 year development cycle with a team of 200+.
Rare was between 100-120 during SoT development, over the last year plus they have doubled in size.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
They're clearly trying with all the acquisitions but it remains to be seen whether they can manage those studios well enough.

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see. Their first party output should easily be better than it is this gen, but I'm not ready to say they will be putting out GOTY contenders on a regular basis. They have pumped plenty of money pumped into 343, The Coalition, Remedy and Rare this gen with only fair results.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I believe they are acquiring studios smartly and they have the resources to give those studios everything they need to make great games.

I expect them to have great, system selling games next generation. Especially since they kind of took this generation off to set up the next one.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Rare was between 100-120 during SoT development, over the last year plus they have doubled in size.

What is your source for this? Rare themselves have listed 200+ from 2008 onwards. LinkedIn also confirms this.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018

That's kind of where I'm at with Microsoft.

They haven't been releasing bad games, they just haven't been releasing very many big budget prestige titles. Halo 5 was fine, Gears 4 was great, both Forzas are consistently fantastic. Other than those tentpole franchises it's mostly been smaller releases and indie publishing deals.

The majority of their studios have proven talent. Some haven't had access to a big budget so we'll see how that goes, but I don't see any reason to doubt them now that they're officially under the MS umbrella. Even Rare seems like a name worth talking about these days.

In a lot of ways the Xbox One has been like a less disastrous Wii U. I think it's clear as day that MS is focusing on next gen while trying to ride out the Xbone as best they can.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
What is your source for this? Rare themselves have listed 200+ from 2008 onwards. LinkedIn also confirms this.
Rare was 150 staff when making Kinect Sports Rivals, after it flopped they had layoffs. They were 200+ at the peak of their Kinect success, but they closed down their second studio and laid off a lot of their art team including Chris Seavor. Rare also relied a lot on contract employees.

"You've got to look at the right game idea and the right franchise for the right goal the company has at that time," Duncan says, explaining why 150 people have spent the last two years creating Kinect Sports Rivals.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
They attempts at new IP have been really bad, as far as cultivating sequels and new franchises with Ori being the only game to get a sequel five years in. The 2014 E3 was a disaster for them being where they announced Crackdown, The Master Chief Collection, and Scalebound with two of them only recently being released or updated to fix most of the issues MCC had. They've kind of reverted back to where they were near the end of last gen with their core franchises (Halo, Gears, Forza) being most of what is doing best for them, so I hope the acquisitions work out for them in the next five years or so when those times get settled down.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I think they certainly have the resources and motivation to get some amazing launch windows games done for next gen, they're in a good spot.

Halo Infinte is obviously the big one and with their recent statement that they want to give the devs all the time they need that's very promising. I also think they need to go all in on a next gen Killer Instinct..bring back Iron Galaxy, buy out Double Helix from Amazon, get Mick Gordon back, whatever they have to do...throw money at it and do it.

Duderino

Nov 2, 2017
If the idea behind purchasing Ninja Theory, Obsidian, and InExile was to acquire studios that can do more with less cash flow, then I think we're in store for a bit of a bumpy road. Especially if the expectation is new IP.

Oct 25, 2017
If the idea behind purchasing Ninja Theory, Obsidian, and InExile was to acquire studios that can do more with less cash flow, then I think we're in store for a bit of a bumpy road. Especially if the expectation is new IP.

I think the idea behind those purchases to acquire studios that have shown themselves to be competent in creating good games on their own. I think Obsidian and Ninja theory fit that description well. They will give them resources they need and let them work. No micromanaging and no giving mandates of some feature or trend that they want integrated into the game like multiplayer, the cloud or TV episodes.