• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it ok to yell at your kids when instructing them in cases of emergency/survival?

• Absolutely

Votes: 1,549 89.6%
  • Hmmm....not sure

Votes: 7 0.4%
  • Depends on the situation/child

Votes: 153 8.8%
  • Absolutely not

Votes: 20 1.2%

• Total voters

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
After watching Bird Box, I thought about what I would do in a similar situation, and I honestly think there are definitely cases where vital instructions should be conveyed as seriously as possible, and when the recipients of said instructions are 5 year old children, your options are pretty limited. I suppose it depends on the children themselves, but I can certainly see how speaking intensely and with a raised voice might seem like the only reasonable way to convey that the instructions given must be obeyed absolutely and without equivocation.

Curious to see what you all think though. Was Malorie justified in the way she conveyed her instructions for the ride down the river or did she go too far?

BTW, here are Sandra's thoughts on the matter

She absolutely did not mind đŸ˜‚

EDIT:

For the purposes of this poll, emergency situations in which shouting directly escalates danger are not included; the 'depends on the situation/child' option does not include these scenarios. I did not think that needed to be stated, but apparently it does, so there you go.

You have the option of changing your vote if you feel that it has been made in error.

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Fire. Everyone out." just doesn't have the same urgency, OP

Oct 25, 2017
I have literally never met a single parent who hasn't yelled at their kids. It's very normal. Kids drive all parents crazy from time to time. Literally no exception.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hand them a sternly worded letter instead.

What a weird question. In "extreme cases of emergency/survival," you can justify just about anything. I'd rather knock my kid unconscious than have him get killed if those are my two options.

Sarek

Oct 27, 2017
If you raise your children well there isn't really need to yell. However emergency situations can obviously be very stressful to act rationally in, and I wouldn't blame a parent for raising their voice.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Is this some meme I'm not aware of? You need to correct your kids some way OP. Stern talking is one of those ways. Not every kid is the same tho so YMMV

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, seriously? People yell at their kids for misbehaving, you think if shit is going down and the dumb kid isn't following instructions that would save their ass a parent would stop to think "what if this traumatized my child"? You know what would be more traumatizing? Getting horribly injured or killed.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Who would rather let their kid die than shout to get them to safety?

I don't yell at my kids. I raise my voice from time to time because sometimes there's situations where they literally wouldn't be able to hear me if I didn't. But in a life and death situation where I need to get their attention immediately? Of course I would.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see what all the non-parents have to say...

If you raise your children well there isn't really need to yell. However emergency situations can obviously be very stressful to act rationally in, and I wouldn't blame a parent for raising their voice.

...ah, there we are.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
I can't answer this because in addition to being yelled at, I was also spanked. Now, even as a 25 year old man, when my dad raises his voice at me, I still feel really bad. Like physically. Any adults that yell have always made me feel this way. So, I don't know what it feels like to be yelled at without fear of corporal punishment. I would definitely not want to yell at kids ever because of this.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, seriously? People yell at their kids for misbehaving, you think if shit is going down and the dumb kid isn't following instructions that would save their ass a parent would stop to think "what if this traumatized my child"? You know what would be more traumatizing? Getting horribly injured or killed.
Parent of the year goes to: The mom who, under threat of a speeding car, kept a cool head and didn't yell at her kid and thus didn't traumatize them!*
YTebGKX.gif

*The child was instantly killed on impact.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
"Billy, there is a psychotic murderer with an axe in the house. Now, I'm not going to raise my voice, but you need to understand that it is important that you get out of the house before he murders you."

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Op is not a parent. Lol. You have to yell at kids when they run off to make them stop no matter how anti authoritarian you want to raise them.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Op is not a parent. Lol. You have to yell at kids when they run off to make them stop no matter how anti authoritarian you want to raise them.

I have five children and agree that there are cases where it's appropriate. Not sure what you're talking about. I asked the question not to know the answer for myself, but to see how many people agreed/disagreed.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
ptCymuwl.jpg

Yeah she saved my life by yelling, "DON'T GO IN THE WATER THERE'S A SHARK IN THERE!" but at what cost?

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Based on the looking results so far, it seems like it's at least worth discussing.
Okay your post says extreme case emergency survival. Ppl posting no are essentially reckless parents or not parents. Like which wackjob parent wouldnt think of shouting for safety reasons under again i repeat extreme case emergency survival.

EDIt: luckily I see only one straight no so far probably someone trolling . But even then the depends are ... well the guy before said it right with "It depends on the disease and the child" for vaccination.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Okay your post says extreme case emergency survival. Ppl posting no are essentially reckless parents. Like which wackjob parent wouldnt think of shouting for safety reasons under again i repeat extreme case emergency survival.

I agree with you, but I would still like to hear their reasoning, just out of curiosity.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Kids can be pretty antagonistic and they're persistent. If you've never ran out of patience and yelled at your children you're a better parent than I am. So I voted yes.