• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
ELrFrNEW4AAtgD0
giphy.gif

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
I think the XSX design is dictated more by the therma specs of the hardware rather than the pure esthetics. For that reason I think Sony will have to use a similar design, especially considering the backlash they got for the first PS4 Pro being noisy.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
I'd love a grey retro ish design but I feel like that will never happen lol

playstation5-ps5-10.jpg

Other than that, it'd be cool if they made the colour scheme red instead of the staple blue. Feel like that would be really striking.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Sony's not known for crazy designs. Closest to it might be PS3, but I liked it for it. PS4 was very modest. I expect PS5 to be so too.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I think after the Red ring scenario Microsoft have done everything in their power to make sure thermals are not a problem.

I think Sony is a hardware company with large amount of hardware expertise in their DNA. They'll find a way to keep the thermals under control and produce a more aesthetically pleasing case.

Not to say the Series X case isn't aesthetically pleasing but it's a lot more utilitarian than what I'd expect from Sony.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
I think that the XSX design, being focused on efficiency and quietness, is what Sony should focus too. So probably they will aim to a similar concept.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't something along those lines as the Xbox series x but with a ps2 style flair.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think MS was very smart with this design. PC cases are designed like that for a reason, sure it looks a bit bland, but if it ensures good ventilation and quietness, it's worth it in the end.

Personally I wouldn't mind if Sony had a similar design.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I'd love a grey retro ish design but I feel like that will never happen lol

playstation5-ps5-10.jpg

Other than that, it'd be cool if they made the colour scheme red instead of the staple blue. Feel like that would be really striking.

Yes.

That design/color is perfection and i will be so disappointed when it won't be.
Fantastic combination of nostalgic (25th anniversary) and sleek new design.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
This is clearly a joke on Zhuge's part.

Still, one wonders how Sony will tackle the thermals for their chipset.

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017
Videogames are supposed to be fun. So i like my console to also look 'fun'. So i hope it does not look like the the new Xbox.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I think it will maintain the horizontal rectangle primary design, which people will like better, but it will also be louder which people will bitch about.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I don't think it's impossible, but I also don't think it's gonna happen. There's a lot of reasons for the next Xbox to look the way it does, I'm convinced that space efficiency when building a server farm was one of them, but also Xbox probably wanted to make a statement. It's a bold design, I'm mostly an Xbox gamer and I kind of hate it. Sony doesn't need to make a statement as much though. They can play it a little safer.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Obviously there is a reason X is a PC Tower and PS5 dev kits have vents on 50%+ of its surface area. These SoC's are hot and likely have comparable power consumption to some gaming desktops. Certainly they're not 100-150 watt boxes this time around. While PS5 might not be a PC Tower, it likely won't be a traditional small sealed box either. At minimum there will be lots of vents and/or mesh.