• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 6, 2019
Hopefully it is wide and flat and not narrow and thick, because a lot of tv stands wont fit that inside.

WEmf6Jk.jpg

TCEvr5f.jpg

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Doubtful. Sony usually puts out pretty striking hardware designs, though they might be hard-pressed to get too creative with it if they're going to be matching or exceeding the Series X specs.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I think it needs to be repeated that the Series X can be used on its side. I've seen so many posts thinking it cant be. Sony advertises the PS4 verticle all the time and yet it can be used horizontally.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I think it could be structurally similar to the dev kits we've seen in terms of airflow, but with the middle 'v' inset filled with something that aesthetically gives it a more traditional solid box form, without interrupting the air intake there. I dunno how they'd do that, but I'm sure there's some kind of fin arrangement there or something that could 'fill' that space visually without obstructing airflow. So I think in that regard it could be as 'thicker'/'higher' than previous consoles, to accommodate this kind of large air intake on top, in the same way the Xbox is even when laying flat (i.e. is still at least double the height of a One X or PS4 or whatever).

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Man the meltdowns if PS5 turns out to have a similar form factor as the XbX are going to be LEGENDARY

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, sounds like a joke.

I have a hard time believing it will look similar unless there's some thermal reason specific to new shared hardware.

That said, I don't really care what they end up like looking like. Simple, quiet boxes is all I really want. Xbox design seems fine.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Make the PS5 into a soundbar and have the Series X be the best subwoofer on the market.

Now that's what I call cross play!

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Well it better be big enough or have enough cooling for it not to sound like a jet engine that is the PS4.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
i doubt it. im expecting a small traditionally proportioned console.

would be cool if this next gen became about the war of the literal Game Cubes tho

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
There is higher probability of retail PS5 having a V in the middle like the dev kits than it looking like a PC tower.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't want it to sound like a jet engine. Having a good ventilation and cooling system I'm ok even if it's twice the size of the Series X.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I think it needs to be repeated that the Series X can be used on its side. I've seen so many posts thinking it cant be. Sony advertises the PS4 verticle all the time and yet it can be used horizontally.
And it should be pointed out that it will likely be louder and hotter when laid horizontally. They designed it with a single fan pushing air to the top. Laying it down will result it some efficiency losses.
Sony showcases their consoles vertically but they are meant to lay flat. With the ps4, you obstruct one of the side intakes in vertical mode. It does run hotter and therefore louder.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It will have a more traditional form factor, in part because I don't think the Japanese market would appreciate a console that looks like the Series X.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I like how the PS4 looks so I'm really hoping something in line with PS4. I don't mind the looks of the new xbox but I hope the PS5 doesn't have a similar form cause where the hell am I going to put it? That form does not fit on a tv stand at all in any sort of way.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Goddammit I hope not. The XSX or what the hell ever would be a pain to put into my entertainment setup in either room, but at least I have zero plans or reasons to get one. I don't want the PS5 to be the same shape or size because that's just a travesty.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I too have heard insider rumours that its design is actually just a fridge freezer.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I don't care as long as it actually is silent, which the Series X will likely to be given the form factor.
My ps4 pro is just ridiculous. It legitimately forces me to use headphones even when I don't want to.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Maybe but in the end SONY has the more exciting console designs (PS3, PS4 etc.) I never liked a single Xbox console design.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care as long as it actually is silent, which the Series X will likely to be given the form factor.
My ps4 pro is just ridiculous. It legitimately forces me to use headphones even when I don't want to.

Am I missing something? Why will the for factor equate to silence when in use? I've have plenty of noisy PCs. Is there something special I'm not thinking about???

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's either going to be like the series X or like the original Xbox One minus the width if that's the best Microsoft could do but also depends if Sony care about sounding like a jet engine over being quiet.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
It's either going to be like the series X or like the original Xbox One minus the width if that's the best Microsoft could do but also depends if Sony care about sounding like a jet engine over being quiet.
They'll probably prioritize thermals, as they did this gen.

That cutout is usefull for the devkils as when you stack them on top of eachother they still get good airflow on top. But would not be surprised if the retail model had some kind of V shape on it as well.
I know Tom said that was the reason for the shape but it's likely not the case. Look at the ps4/pro dev kits. They were just boxes yet were built for stacking as well. The top is probably not the intake but the exhaust.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
They'll probably prioritize thermals, as they did this gen.

I know Tom said that was the reason for the shape but it's likely not the case. Look at the ps4/pro dev kits. They were just boxes yet were built for stacking as well. The top is probably not the intake but the exhaust.
I dont know who is Tom or what he said. Im just saying it myselve based on the devkit design :P

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
We know this, but if you look it's also 2-3 times the width/height of the One and nearly as long/wide. It looks like a nightmare for the living room or even my game room.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I'm guessing PS5 will have some weird shape to it. Like the oval for ps3 or trapezoid for PS4. if going by this route. They should shape it like the letter V. It might be smaller than Series X but i'm guessing it will sound like a jet engine going by ps4 and Pro.