• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Something that fits where I put my consoles would be nice, anything bigger than the OG xbox one would be too big.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Team #JetEnginePS5.
It grew on me.

playstation-5.jpg

Can't wait to take that bad boy home in my Tesla Truck.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the Series X design basically a rectangular version of the trash can pro? If it gets significantly better thermals I could see it happening on PS5 as well, though likely there isn't enough of a benefit to override a more standard design.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
It depends how the mobo is designed. I am really intrigued to see how MS is doing it. It is as if the mobo will be like 4 boards each hugging one of the interior walls of the console all interconnected.

Personally, I'd love a chonky cube with vents up the wazoo (but discrete).

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care how it looks. But they better make it fucking silent because I'm not buying any more jet engines.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Joke aside, I hope the PS4 design avoids the "blade" overhang for the ports on the back. It's become a pet peeve of mine any time I need to access the cables in the back of the system from any angle other than eye-level behind it.

drock5k

Aug 3, 2018
I think it'll be similar to the PS4/Pro Maybe boxier instead of the angles. Also loud. :( Hoping not though.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, although I'm not sure how Sony will design it.

Xbox's hardware design for the Xbox One S and One X was really great, like perfect hardware design. The PS4 Pro was horrible, while the PS4 is fine. I think Sony would have been smarter to just eschew the PS4 design for the Pro and be willing to do something different, much like Microsoft did going from the VCR-like Xbox One to the S and X consoles, but it was weird that they stuck with the same design but just... threw another blade on top of it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready for trash-can consoles.

cQAGUJF.png

(I've since cleaned up all of the wires there, zip tying them down to the floor and then up the wall using wire-hiders, mounting the power strip on the back lowest level of it, moving the HDD, straigthening everything out dont have an up to date image)

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Gonna be sleek and loud af unless they go big. Hopefully Sony learned their lesson on PS4 and Pro.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I wonder about the placement of HDMI, ethernet, USB and power ports on the back. They'll need to be pretty low or the cords will look odd hanging off the back.

I assume this design is going to have an external power brick with an fan and a light.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm ready for trash-can consoles.

cQAGUJF.png

(I've since cleaned up all of the wires there, zip tying them down to the floor and then up the wall using wire-hiders, mounting the power strip on the back lowest level of it, moving the HDD, straigthening everything out dont have an up to date image)

that trash can is gonna look sick on there!

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Do I dispute the PS4 pro is noisier than the one x? No because I own both. Do I think it's the second loudest thing you own next to your "superbike" well unless you dont own a washing machine and such.

It's actually louder than my washing machine, especially in menus of some games.

And I have two different versions of PS4 Pro, and they're both insanely loud.

Unless they have *majorly* improved their process, they'll need to go way bigger with case size than MS if they plan on keeping up with the specs.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Hopefully not, the design of the series X is awful, just do something like the OG PS4 again.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think Sony will opt for a (way) more stylish version of the devkit. They need to do consession on style, can't get away with a jet engine again.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The design should always be functional to guarantee no jet engine.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, I'll just take a quieter version, don't mind the design, but for the love of god, make it not as loud as PS4.

This would be my one requirement as well. I don't usually look at my consoles, but I sure as hell hear them when they're this loud (PS4 Pro especially).

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping they lean more towards the Xbox One S or X in terms of design - those are some beautiful pieces of hardware.

Considering what the DevKit looks like I'm gonna go ahead and say no.

Neither the ps3 or ps4 devkit had much in common with the actual design of the console. I'd be hella surprised if the actual ps5 looks anything like that devkit.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
That picture is a fridge..

I think ps5 is likely to be another black box like they all are in some way or another, so I guess it's possible.
As long as it has big air vents I don't really care what it looks like

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They want to sell it in Japan, so I'm pretty sure they won't make a design that doesn't fit into a normal entertainment center.

Jan 4, 2018
The XSeX is made by the same team that makes the Surface line of products as well as the One X.
If it was possible to make it smaller while having enough cooling and being silent they would have done it.
That makes me think that probably PS5 will need a similar solution (that is, if it's to be silent and with good cooling. Or they could go for a more traditional design while sounding like a rocket and being as hot, that's possible too)