• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
its no secret that if your a videoclub owner, renting and selling movies is on an alarming decline. Blockbuster video, etc have close, special thanks to the digital market. Even if there was nothing cooler than going to it in a friday and saturday night and look for an hour choosing something we like, today, at the press of some button, we got content delivered directly to our home. And we have the luxuary to skip a movie after a few minutes if we dont like it, choose another one, etc.

Ok, sure, going to see a blockbuster at the theater is an amazing experience. The sound, giant screen, popcorn, nothing can match it. Playing the same movie at home, unless you have your very big giant screen projector, a room dedictated to movie viewing, a great sound system, and your personal popcorn machine, cannot really come close.

But now, we start to see lots of high quality budget movies simply not cashing in on the production and marketing cost, last example i can give, is Blade Runner 2049. And it make me wondering, what if some of those high budget movie,rather than get released at the theater, could be signed to a digital distributor, and target directly a larger audience. Imagine one second, Avatar 2 getting release exclusively on Netflix. Im saying Netflix as example, but it could be a new performer in the business, as example call HomeMovie, who yould charge you the cost of one movie, like 20$ for a month, but you would be getting all the movie that are supposed to get releae in the theater, and now instead, they get release directly to your home.

Do you beleive something like that could happen one day and theaters could go to extinction? Do you beleive the benefits of going out to the theaters would be left out for the simplicity of having all new release directly at home instead?

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had never heard the word 'videoclub' before.

Seeing as the big players were already considering (may have implemented by now) ways to allow people to rent films the same day as their theatrical release, I'd say smaller cinemas (excepting arthouse cinemas) who can't offer all the bells and whistles like food service, motion and olfactory effects etc will be out of business sooner rather than later.

Oct 25, 2017
The internet didn't kill the art gallery and CDs didn't kill concerts. I think movie theatres will be around for a while.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so. The recent popularity of the movie pass shows that people still like going out to see a film when it makes sense for them financially.

I think the industry is doing other things to sabotage themselves though. Like that every movie needs to be a blockbuster nowadays.

OP
OP
HighFive

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
I had never heard the word 'videoclub' before.

Seeing as the big players were already considering (may have implemented by now) ways to allow people to rent films the same day as their theatrical release, I'd say smaller cinemas (excepting arthouse cinemas) who can't offer all the bells and whistles like food service, motion and olfactory effects etc will be out of business sooner rather than later.

Pardon my french, just cant find the perfect translation of places like Blockbusters, where you rent and buy movies, perhaps video store i should have call it then.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they'll die out, they'll probably just become a more niche product where they have to really cater to those who are willing to spend the money on the experience. Think better sound and projection for the video and audiophiles, much more comfortable seating situations, better food, liquor and other drinks, maybe doing more themed showings like Rocky Horror and showing niche classic and cult stuff. Basically catering to the hardcore and rich instead of the general masses.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Theaters will persist simply because it's a reason to leave the house. It's something to go out and do with your friends. It doesn't really matter how much cheaper and easier it is to watch a movie at home, people will go to the theater for the social aspect.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
The movie theater nearest to my home has actually completely overhauled itself. They ripped out all the old seats and replaced them with powered recliners that have big drink holders, and they implemented an online reservation system so you can pick your seat ahead of time and just show up with either a print out of your ticket, or the email on your phone.

I have to admit, these changes have actually made me go to the theater MORE, especially the seat reservation. If I know there's a movie I definitely want to watch, I pick my seat out a week ahead of time, and I can get a perfect, dead center seat.

Oct 25, 2017
The movie theater nearest to my home has actually completely overhauled itself. They ripped out all the old seats and replaced them with powered recliners that have big drink holders, and they implemented an online reservation system so you can pick your seat ahead of time and just show up with either a print out of your ticket, or the email on your phone.

I have to admit, these changes have actually made me go to the theater MORE, especially the seat reservation. If I know there's a movie I definitely want to watch, I pick my seat out a week ahead of time, and I can get a perfect, dead center seat.

Did they raise your ticket prices because a theater did those renovations near me, but doubled their ticket prices as a result.

99Luffy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doubtful. The delayed schedule is free money for Hollywood. Theatre Run ---> DVD + VOD --> Subscription vs. Only subscription

Plus theres a video somewhere about the economics of funding a movie. Pre-sales and all that. Not sure it would work if a Netflix type entity just funded everything.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Nope. Home exhibition is always going to be a step below what is possible with public exhibition - especially as space is becoming a valuable commodity in city centers. And as studios keep pouring money into big blockbusters, there's going to be demand to see them in a high quality format.

It's possible this means the smaller films skip theatrical runs, but the biggest stuff will demand a big screen. Not to mention, the industry can't survive on everyone just paying $10 a month. Maybe one studio gets by on that, but even Netflix is deep in debt to keep up their production slate. The hypothetical endgame is that 4-6 major studios all become streaming platforms, and people end up paying more per month to see movies than if they'd just seen them in theaters under the present system.

OP
OP
HighFive

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Theaters will persist simply because it's a reason to leave the house. It's something to go out and do with your friends. It doesn't really matter how much cheaper and easier it is to watch a movie at home, people will go to the theater for the social aspect.

Im personally not 100% sure theaters are untouchable. Not just for the social aspect, but on economical aspect. If a producer can make 300 million by signing an exclusive deal to distribute digitaly an exclusive movie on his platform, he will not care about the social aspect.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Did they raise your ticket prices because a theater did those renovations near me, but doubled their ticket prices as a result.
Depends. Some theaters raise the prices, others compress the amount of time in between showings just enough to play the contracted preshow, to increase the amount of showtimes possible in a day.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017

Y'know to be perfectly honest, I'm not actually sure. I suspect they probably did raise the prices, but I never paid much attention to the actual admission rate, since it was below $20, and I'm one of those movie goers that doesn't buy any snacks or drinks, just watches the film.

Oct 27, 2017
i dont think so. at least here in australia, the last year was the most successful box office on record. theyve redone a lot of the cinemas to make them cleaner and more comfortable. the experience in general is a lot nicer these days. and judging by the numbers, people are responding to it.

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know to be perfectly honest, I'm not actually sure. I suspect they probably did raise the prices, but I never paid much attention to the actual admission rate, since it was below $20, and I'm one of those movie goers that doesn't buy any snacks or drinks, just watches the film.
Yeah, when one of the older, but great, theaters around me closed to be turned into a parking lot, they rebuilt it down the street, but they doubled the ticket prices and put in a lot of upscale food, but I don't know how much that costs since I don't eat at the theater. I also don't like the trend of turning theaters into restaurants with people ordering and food being delivered during a film.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
I totally could see it happening.

When you can have a true IMAX experience with the best sound imaginable on your standalone $199 VR headset w/surround headphones, in, oooh, lets say 10 years, why wouldn't you?

Not to mention societies ever worsening condition of IRL social isolation being replaced by online community. interaction.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as there are couples and families with nothing to do, theaters will survive.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I don't think so. Seeing a movie in a nice theater is still way way better than anything Home can offer other than privacy.

Oct 28, 2017
I want to go to the movies but I'm not about to risk $15 (double that if you're going with someone, triple if you're buying concessions) on something I may or may not like. That's why I love MoviePass, if I'm at all interested in seeing something, I'll go and see it. I have nothing to lose other than my time. It's very difficult to justify a $15 ticket when I can buy a game on Steam that'll give me 6-1000+ hours of enjoyment and there's even a safety net with the refund policy.

The theaters should do whatever MoviePass is doing with viewing data to bring the prices down.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Clicked on the thread purely because I enjoyed the termed 'Videoclubs'. Sounds super 80's like you'd walk into one and see a stock broker doing a line of coke off of a betamax lol.

Back on topic:

I don't see them dying out like Blockbuster just changing and becoming more experience oriented.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah. From an economic standpoint movie theatres are just not worth the money. People have many other, better value choices available to them, and it will only get worse for theatres as streaming companies begin making their own movies.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Not for a long, long time. Maybe when the day comes I can watch brand new movies in VR with my friends remotely with zero loss of sound and picture quality in comparison to an IMAX theater. Decades out.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not in the near future, and it will always be a niche thing if it comes down to it.

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Yeah. From an economic standpoint movie theatres are just not worth the money. People have many other, better value choices available to them, and it will only get worse for theatres as streaming companies begin making their own movies.

Yeah, I feel like whenever this topic gets brought up, people get clouded with their personal attachment to cinema. Convenience will always ends up trumping what the "best experience" and for a lot of people, they're going to wind up going with the path of lease resistance, which is streaming.

Oct 27, 2017
I want to go to the movies but I'm not about to risk $15 (double that if you're going with someone, triple if you're buying concessions) on something I may or may not like. That's why I love MoviePass, if I'm at all interested in seeing something, I'll go and see it. I have nothing to lose other than my time. It's very difficult to justify a $15 ticket when I can buy a game on Steam that'll give me 6-1000+ hours of enjoyment and there's even a safety net with the refund policy.

The theaters should do whatever MoviePass is doing with viewing data to bring the prices down.

do you guys have tight-arse-tuesdays over there? tickets to movies are half price (USD$7.50) here in australia on tuesdays. also, there is generally a movie of the week that is half price and you can join the movie club for free (in return for signing up to the mailing list) and get another movie for half price. and if you see 5 movies, you get the 6th free.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I feel like whenever this topic gets brought up, people get clouded with their personal attachment to cinema. Convenience will always ends up trumping what the "best experience" and for a lot of people, they're going to wind up going with the path of lease resistance, which is streaming.
Why do people go to sports games and concerts and art museums still when you can watch the game on your TV, listen to a CD, or browse photos online all without leaving your home and for a much cheaper experience?

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Why do people go to sports games and concerts and art museums still when you can watch the game on your TV, listen to a CD, or browse photos online all without leaving your home and for a much cheaper experience?

Well concerts are limited special attractions and museums go hand and hand with tourism.

You're going to need to be more specific with sports games though since that can be finicky.

BarryAllen

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People behave terribly at movies. From the people who bring screaming kids to the annoying glare of some asshole checking his phone every 8 minutes

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they will. Change yes but me and my family will not miss a big movie in our local Dolby Cinema. It's seriously a great experience. I have a nice sound system, a 65inch oled and we really enjoy movies at home. But nothing beats Dolby for the full experience. We've already got 4 seats dead center reserved for Episode 8 opening weekend!

Oct 25, 2017
I hope not. I've been to the theater more in the past two years than all my life. The theater converted to a cinebar. Big selection of foods, appetizers, soft drinks, shakes, beers, and liquor. New big seats, bigger cup holders, and a table in front of you. I've gone during matinee and never seen any kids.

Oct 25, 2017
Well concerts are limited special attractions and museums go hand and hand with tourism.

You're going to need to be more specific with sports games though since that can be finicky.
Well, your post was agreeing with someone talking about cost, and you then brought in convenience. It's a hell of a lot easier to listen to music at home, streaming online or whatever, in your home. It's also a lot cheaper than buying a ticket to a venue. Same goes for art museums (which aren't limited only to tourists). And, same goes for seeing a baseball game at a stadium versus watching it at home on a TV. There are intrinsic things missing by doing the cheap and convenient.

I get that some people don't like leaving their house and interacting with society and the world at large; I get that especially having lived online (from the old site: "Why can't you people be normal!"). And I get that some people don't like new experiences, risking trying new things because they will cost money and/or time (that's why chain restaurants and fast food exists). But what shouldn't be lost is the other side of the equation.

I saw Creed in a packed theater in downtown Philadelphia opening night with the audience cheering for him to get up. I saw Fruitvale Station the weekend after the Zimmerman verdict where people were sobbing at the end of the movie. I saw Avatar in 3D when the only time anyone in the theater had seen a 3D movie was probably a short at an amusement park, if that. And, I saw Blade Runner 2049 alone in a 330+ seat IMAX auditorium at night. All those experiences directly affected the way I watched those movies and what I felt about them and how I still think about them.

(And all those movies and experiences are different. One's a populist feel good movie. The other is an art film. The other is a spectacle. The other is a brooding epic. A lot of times people diminish the theater experience just to blockbusters, which is ironic since they are the chain restaurants of film).

Maybe the movie-going experience will change. Maybe it will decrease. But it just isn't going away.

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, why would they? There will always be too much money to be made in the cinema experience to just drop it.

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see it happening anytime soon, but eventually sure. It's hard to deny the presence of streaming companies.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they'll ever disappear completely, but they may decline and more will close their doors over time. Seems like the box office for smaller films gets weaker by the year, while the huge big-name franchises keep crushing it (Marvel / Star Wars).

Personally speaking, I used to go see a movie once every month or two. Now I only see 3 or 4 movies a year. There's a lot less motivation to spend $25-50 on one 2 hour movie when TV/Movie streaming services have gotten so good, and cost much less.

Oct 25, 2017
Also, as for people mentioning VR, I just have no idea how that would work in a narrative film. Giving the viewer agency to that degree would break nearly everything about movies. It wouldn't be a documentary anymore, but something wholly different, but I can imagine something VR like The Thin Blue Line where you experience the recreations in various positions and such, and the interviews wth the people being almost present in front of you.

Hat22

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Maybe they'll end up a a luxury of the elite.

The IMAX experience is still the IMAX experience. You can't really match it.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Movie theaters are places to sit with your date where you don't have to really say anything for awhile. Civilization would crumble without it.

farmland

Oct 30, 2017
Per capita ticket sales are trending down in many countries but not at the kind of rate that'll cause a collapse in the market anytime soon. Plus countries like China are booming. So no, theatres are here to stay thankfully.