• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 1, 2017
This came up in another thread but i thought it might warrant further discussion and to get other people's thought on the matter, didn't find a similar thread so apologies if this has been discussed to death somewhere. So i think we can all agree that piracy = bad, now there is discussion to be had about how it can be so prevalent in some countries that it's difficult to avoid but that's another topic altogether.

So here's my hot take on it: Company spends X amount of money paying X amount of people to make a game. Said company expects people who play that game to reimburse them financially for a certain amount, either a higher price when it first comes out or cheaper when the deals start kicking in. So straight piracy is pretty clear (not to mention illegal): Regardless of whether you "never would have bought the game anyway so technically its not stealing" you're not giving the company money for something they made but are reaping the benefits of their product. Big yikes.

So the way i look at it when it comes to the second hand market it's essentially the same situation. If money is tight i can't be too critical of people who when offered a game £5 or £10 cheaper at Game (or whatever your countries version of this is) just wanna get the most bang for their buck and don't think about it too much. But game companies don't receive a penny of that money, the game store does. I've worked at Game and i know how much they push second hand games because it's where most of their profits come from. Every single person who brought a brand new game box would have to be asked if they want the in some cases only marginally cheaper second hand one and you would get a lot of shit if you didn't do this. Game makes maybe 1 or 2 pounds profit (if that) on a full priced brand new game hence the hard sales push.

Key resellers is a newer thing and a somewhat thorny issue. This is basically a grey market that seems to cross over into the black market depending on the legitimacy of the methods these sites use to get these keys. I've heard the horror stories of how some of the keys get acquired and how some people have been screwed over by companies de-activating these stolen or illegitimate keys (although i would argue that's the risk you take if this is how you want to get access to games). Let's look at what i would hope is the more common scenario: Person gets a free key to a game with their console/graphics card/whatever purchase. Person doesn't want the game so they flog it to a key-reseller. It gets sold and again none of that money goes to the company that made the game. Now i know that when they make these deals to include games in say hardware purchases they probably get a chunk of cash for that but i would guess it's a lot less than they would get had people gone out and bought those games.

I have an extreme example about this: Assassin's Creed Unity. It's been a running joke now how often this game pops up in things like Hotdealsuk emails and the like. Currently you can purchase AC:U for the vast sum of 99 pence or you can often see it get thrown in for free if you buy PUBG or whatever. It's current price on the UK Xbox store is £24.99. Regardless of your feelings about Unity as a game it is worth way, way more than 99p.

So... thoughts? Are you fine with second hand purchases/key-resellers? Do you go out of your way to support developers/publishers you like by say double dipping on different console platforms or do you always buy stuff second hand (and basically never give companies that make the games you play money)? And here's the kicker: How much do you think this entire situation has influenced the rise of micro-transactions in current videogames?

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Videogame publishers are not a charity. I will spend my money how I like and not feel bad about it. Piracy is theft* and it's nowhere close to buying a game second hand.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
alot of the keys resellers sell have already been paid for. to me its no different than buying used.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sellers like CDKeys buy retail copies at low cost and then provide digital keys to their customers. The publisher/developer still gets their due from the initial sale of the retail copy, so yes, there's a pretty big difference there compared to piracy.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If it's a scenario where there is no way to obtain a new copy (ie out of print and delisted) I honestly don't see the moral difference.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
User Banned (3 days): advocating piracy
Some indie developers said that they'd you pirated their games than use key resellers because they are sketchy (basically). So it would seem like piracy is somewhat similar to using those. And to be honest I see buying second hand and piracy in the same way, the publisher won't be getting money and you end up with a game. And I have zero concerns (morally) in pirating from big companies.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Piracy is theft, but buying from legitimate key resellers is fine, since the key was purchased in the first place. Now if you're buying from something like G2A which is known for selling stolen/chargebacked keys, that I wouldn't do.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
But when you buy it used the game company already got their money from the previous owner, they become a middle man basically.
You don't give Honda money because you bought a used Civic, do you?
With stolen keys there's the whole credit card charge back issue so that in the end the dev doesn't see any money cause they got scammed.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
to be honest I see buying second hand and piracy in the same way, the publisher won't be getting money and you end up with a game.
It's not thought, not even for the publisher/devs. When you get a game second hand, you put money back in the pocket of someone who bought the game, and who is likely to use that money ( or part of it ) for a next purchase.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
How is it different than buying any other product second-hand? Games aren't special in this regard, unless we are going to eliminate the sale of used products entirely there's nothing wrong with it.

And most key sellers are authorized outlets for selling games, they buy keys from publishers in bulk at cost, then take a hit on the margin to offer discounts. Unless the keys were stolen it's fine, and if the keys were stolen it's worse than piracy because someone is profiting off of it.

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017
Some indie developers said that they'd you pirated their games than use key resellers because they are sketchy (basically). So it would seem like piracy is somewhat similar to using those. And to be honest I see buying second hand and piracy in the same way, the publisher won't be getting money and you end up with a game. And I have zero concerns (morally) in pirating from big companies.

That was specifically to G2A, not all resellers.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, one is illegal theft and one is a completely legitimate, legal transaction.

I'm so glad that the rise of digital has kinda killed off this old, tired argument where enthusiasts tried to argue that you should buy games new, not second hand, to reward the developers, or something.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I still rent a lot of games, what's your stance on that OP? I don't know how much a rental copy costs to buy for the rental service company but the pubs / devs are getting nothing from me.

ZKenir

Mar 31, 2018
Key resellers is a newer thing and a somewhat thorny issue. This is basically a grey market that seems to cross over into the black market depending on the legitimacy of the methods these sites use to get these keys.
Except not, it also crosses into perfectly legal areas, not just "grey market" or "black market"
Here's a list of sellers officially approved by SEGA, which obiously also sell other game keys (the digital resellers are mixed in with official retail partners)

www.sega.com

SEGA Approved Partner List

Approved Digital Partners

OP
OP
Nov 1, 2017
I'm confused. Are you saying that buying used is theft from the developers and/or just as bad as piracy/stolen keys?

Depends on how you look at it i guess. If you are playing a game and you didn't give any money to the company that made that game from the companies' point of view they still didn't get money from that sale. Well, they would have made a sale from the first buyer but they could have made a second sale from you. That's basically what i'm asking, where do people draw the line?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
That post is about piracy, but I don't understand the comparison to a used game sale.
The thing with used games is that one sale for a publisher is servicing several people, which they don't like.
A key is still one to one, even if an intermediary gets a cut.
reseller buys key = new sale
reseller sells said key = used sale

this isn't hard.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
All three are different categories. Buying games used/secondhand is absolutely not anywhere close to piracy in any way whatsoever, though.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Depends on how you look at it i guess. If you are playing a game and you didn't give any money to the company that made that game from the companies' point of view they still didn't get money from that sale. Well, they would have made a sale from the first buyer but they could have made a second sale from you. That's basically what i'm asking, where do people draw the line?

So? It's no different from buying anything else second hand, you're not paying the company that originally manufactured/built the goods.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
But that's the thing. There already was an original sale, the company got the money and the original owner is giving away their entitlement to the product to get money. With piracy at no point the company gets paid.

Of course, there's also old games that aren't really sold anymore because they don't make copies and have been delisted from every digital store, like Outrun 2006. In that case, it's not really piracy.

OP
OP
Nov 1, 2017
If it's a scenario where there is no way to obtain a new copy (ie out of print and delisted) I honestly don't see the moral difference.

This is an interesting one actually. I have no issue with someone downloading "vapourware" games (is that the term?) for old systems that can no longer be legally purchased if the publisher or copyright holder doesnt even exist anymore. Otherwise it gets a bit tricky in case a company decides they want to remaster or revive said game.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Of course there's a difference.

Piracy is theft. Purchasing from a key reseller is not only potentially enabling theft, but could actively be costing the developers/publishers money.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
It's not 2005 anymore, people. Publishers get plenty of money from second hand sales. It's called microtransactions.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Don't know. Is there much of a difference between stealing a car and buying a second hand one?

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
It's not thought, not even for the publisher/devs. When you get a game second hand, you put money back in the pocket of someone who bought the game, and who is likely to use that money ( or part of it ) for a next purchase.
And? The publisher/devs aren't getting money. That money could be used for everything.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Keys from legitimate sources have been paid for. The publisher already got their cut.
Profits from used game sales often go toward buying new games, or keeping the games store in business. Before everything went digital, I would have bought significantly fewer (new) games if I couldn't have traded-in/sold the ones I had finished.
And used games still sell microtransactions.

Stolen keys sold on G2A/Kinguin are a problem, and worse than piracy for indie developers.
"Collectors" or people that don't actually play games, but are dealing in them for profit, that have turned the retro games market into the mess that it is today, are scum.

Piracy is not theft. It is copyright infringement.
An item is not being stolen from anyone, it is being copied.

reseller buys key = new sale
reseller sells said key = used sale

this isn't hard.
But it's new. It hasn't been used, and can only be used by a single person.

I have an extreme example about this: Assassin's Creed Unity. It's been a running joke now how often this game pops up in things like Hotdealsuk emails and the like. Currently you can purchase AC:U for the vast sum of 99 pence or you can often see it get thrown in for free if you buy PUBG or whatever. It's current price on the UK Xbox store is £24.99. Regardless of your feelings about Unity as a game it is worth way, way more than 99p.
Ubisoft gave the game away for free themselves, which is probably why it only sells for that now.

Jun 14, 2019
i actually think its worse when people take advantage of price mistakes or errors on sites and during sale openings than key seller sites. especially when said people then going bitching online their order wasnt honored and stuff.

Deleted member 48201

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2018
If someone sells their car the carmaker won't get anything. Stop worshippig games like they are something special. They are just goods like everything else and game companies aren't your friends.

Last edited:

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Sites like CDkeys are legit because the publisher still gets money from the initial sale. It's the PC gaming equivalent of buying used.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
As long as the key was legit and publisher got money somewhere along the line, I'm fine with buying it. Piracy on the other hand... yeah that's completely different.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
Don't know. Is there much of a difference between stealing a car and buying a second hand one?
Piracy isn't even close to "physical" theft. You can copy a digital archive for free without the use of labour for it. With "physical" theft, the specifical object you are stealing had to be made through labour.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
That's super flawed logic
its not. the dev still got money on the initial sale. there's literally no difference compared to physical games except the fact that you can resell a used physical game multiple times. devs disliking key resellers is just devs not liking that they dont have full control of the product they sell. its like devs hating physcial games back before digital was a thing. im not talking about resellers that steal keys btw.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i think piracy sucks and should be considered illegal (which it is of course). i get why some people do it though because they want to make sure the game works on their system and they like it. if more games had a demo this would appeal to those people who unfortunately i believe are the minority when it comes to piracy. most people who pirate a game i would guess just want something for free or have no intention of ever buying it.

key selling is a grey area for me. some key sites are legit and some aren't. i must admit i do use some key sites if they have a good price. i don't feel bad doing it. i don't know how they get those keys exactly but it's not illegal for me to buy them so eh.

second hand i think is fair enough. you should be able to sell something you bought. of course this would usually have hurt publishers but with microtransactions + dlcs rammed down our throats these days i don't think they really give a crap if you buy it new or second hand.

OP
OP
Nov 1, 2017
I still rent a lot of games, what's your stance on that OP? I don't know how much a rental copy costs to buy for the rental service company but the pubs / devs are getting nothing from me.

I actually don't know how the rental system works. Back in the olden days of VHS rentals i know that buying a copy of a movie specifically for renting would cost the rental store much more than if a random consumer walked into a store and bought it. So in that case the film studios still make a decent chunk on the sales of these rental versions of movies.

I don't know if a similar system is in place for game rentals. If the rental company is buying games from a store and renting them that's a tricky one because you can make the argument that the game company got paid once, but if lets say 100 people rent that game and never bought it that's 100 potential lost sales. I completely pulled that random number out of my arse though.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
And you can sell it again, doing the same.
Yeah and theres no problem with it.
As already said in this thread, games arent special in that regard.
As much as game publisher would like it, you don't have to give them money on a used sale.
The only problems with key resellers is unauthorized ones selling keys they scammed out of the devs by pretending to be an influencer or that were obtained with stolen credit cards that will trigger a chargeback.
Potentially theres also the issue of keys obtained in regions of the world that have much cheaper prices but thats a grey area as the game publisher got compensated there, they just arent distributed as intended.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
its not. the dev still got money on the initial sale. there's literally no difference compared to physical games except the fact that you can resell a used physical game multiple times. devs disliking key resellers is just devs not liking that they dont have full control of the product they sell. its like devs hating physcial games back before digital was a thing. im not talking about resellers that steal keys btw.
No publishers hate legit key resellers though?

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
So the way i look at it when it comes to the second hand market it's essentially the same situation. If money is tight i can't be too critical of people who when offered a game £5 or £10 cheaper at Game (or whatever your countries version of this is) just wanna get the most bang for their buck and don't think about it too much. But game companies don't receive a penny of that money, the game store does. I've worked at Game and i know how much they push second hand games because it's where most of their profits come from. Every single person who brought a brand new game box would have to be asked if they want the in some cases only marginally cheaper second hand one and you would get a lot of shit if you didn't do this. Game makes maybe 1 or 2 pounds profit (if that) on a full priced brand new game hence the hard sales push.
Here's the thing. The game companies aren't supposed to receive money from those copies; and they have no right to it, and no expectation that they should have it. That's how selling things works. Game developers/publishers just don't get to decide that somehow the entire history of human commerce is irrelevant, and suddenly they're being cheated by not getting more money from a thing they've already sold.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with most of this, but you said:
alot of the keys resellers sell have already been paid for. to me its no different than buying used.
Which sounded like you think buying a key is the same as buying a used game, which it's not,

And publishers don't really hate key sellers, some embrace them even.

Status
Not open for further replies.