• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you consider yourself a current gen/AAA gamer or a retro/pixel art goodness gamer

• give me AAA or give me death!

Votes: 200 63.9%
  • take me back to my childhood! pixel art/retro games any day of the week

Votes: 113 36.1%

• Total voters

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I probably play more indies and older games than I do AAA titles, but I don't define myself as any one thing. I like all kinds of games.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Los dos. If I had to pick one then I'd go for AA-to-AAA simply because my absolute favorite games are generally of the kind. Games like The Last Guardian, Breath of the Wild, Yakuza, Bloodborne and Dark Souls mean more to me than my favorite indies. That doesn't mean I don't also love indies too.

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Idk... I think I play more indies and old games, but they aren't all pixel art

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I can't stand pixel art to be honest anymore. I like indies that look back to the old school genres,but not graphically.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I play all manner of games. If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to choose I would take the retro theme, I guess.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It's not even about "going back to my childhood", I like chunky pixels. But also modern games, so yeah.

Oct 26, 2017
I like a bit of AAA and AA, mainly Japanese titles, and a bit of indie titles. I'm not really specifically geared towards one or the other, although the sort of AAA and AA I usually play tend to be more in line with what I'm looking for

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
I consider myself to have good taste, so definitely the retro shit, but not limited to just pixel art. Some of the triple A stuff this gen is dope particularly from Japan and stuff like Doom, Hitman, Dad of War. Other stuff this gen is straight basura.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
Don't like how the options are formulated. That said, I went with the second option because I don't really identify with the majority of what's called AAA gaming nowadays.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Neither, since neither seems to be exactly what I want anymore, so I just tend to play whatever. AAA games used to not only look the best, they also used to be extremely innovative. Way back when, the now "pixel art" craze used to be what AAA games looked like, and then not long after the games in the early to mid 90s that were being released on PC. Now it's either high production values with way played out gameplay, or "we want to be an SNES game" with maybe some actual innovations.

Sometimes there are releases from certain developers though that aren't quite AAA, but aren't indies either that end up being some of my favorites from any particular year.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I like both pretty much equally, though I suppose the skeevy monetization schemes of some AAA games nowadays pushes me more towards "AA" games.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I don't really play AAA games or retro/pixel art games, but I play tons of games.

Do I even exist?

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Both. Idk I feel like it's a weird distinction to make. Especially because there's a lot more out there than 2d pixel styled games and big budget 3d games

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
It would be cool if you made up your mind and choose only one. As I said, I do enjoy AAA games as well, but If I had to choose well..I already said it!
Problem is you left out all of the games which exist in the massive gulf between big budget AAA, and lo-fi indie pixel art.

Athreous

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Neither! While I love some 16 bit games (I really hate 8 bit though), I don't really like these pixalated games nowdays... Games evolved, so we should play the old games of that style, while looking for better graphics and gameplay!

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
both. i do find the older i get the more i tinker with retro though in many aspects, arcade1up, raspberry pi, mini consoles, even original hardware (although this tends to be too expensive)

That said more or less the only game I actually play the last 5 years is Destiny/2, though. That's why I wrote "tinker". I dont sit down and start to finish play any retro games...

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Some retro style way fine for a while, but I know I skip games instantly if I see the pixel look in the screenshots.

The 100s Soso-vania or Jump&Run in pixel graphic is just a boring premise. Make HD assets, but preferably not in the overdone cute comic style. Be creative!

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I play more indie games than anything else, but not exclusively pixel art.

I play probably 2-3 AAA games a year, and I buy almost every fighting game that comes out. I'd say I'm more A-AA gamer over a particular art style.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
I kind of meant indie/retro vibes vs AA/AAA... ;(

Without indies, I probably would not still be playing games. I enjoy the occasional AAA or AA game, but often times they feel too safe and boring. Also doesn't help that some of the latest releases have been disappointing (Fallout 76, Anthem, Battlefield 5, Mass Effect: Andromeda). Maybe I'm just bummed by how bad Bethesda, BioWare, and DICE are these days.