• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Your initial definition would have not included me. That said, I do consider myself a gaming entusiast: videogames are currently my main hobby (and they have been so for most of the past three decades), I spent several hours a week playing videogames, I generally tend to play the best I can, I met many dear friends thanks to gaming, I am something of a laid-back achievement hunter (gamerscore of 241.000+), I stalk and/or participate in gaming forums, etcetera.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not anymore. I don't care about games as much as I used to. I generally try and disassociate myself from gamers and the culture.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Yeah absolutely.

4K TV, PS4 Pro, and in the middle of building a new PC (Nvidia pls).

The tech side of things is pretty interesting to me, but more than anything I love the freedom on offer at the PC end. Mods, Cheat engine, community fixes, graphics settings, and of course post-processing injectors like SweetFX/Reshade.

I do have other hobbies, I like to read, paint, and study things for example, but gaming is definitely the one I go above and beyond for.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say so. Not so much from the tech perspective (especially now) but I hang out on multiple game-related forums, have multiple consoles as well as a PC, and gaming is my primary leisure activity and one that is extremely unlikely to go away over time. I do think I'd fall under the second definition.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like video games, and depending on the game, I can be passionate about them to varying degrees. However, there are definitely many, many more (especially on these forums) that take it more seriously than I do.

I would not fit your definition of it, though.

Deleted member 5727

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would define a gaming enthusiast as a person who constantly seeks out the latest and greatest technology, is willing to tinker and pay a premium to get the perfect gaming experience

Based on that definition, no. I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to gaming, and I don't "constantly seek out the latest and greatest tech." That sounds too focused on graphical perfection, too anal retentive or obsessive about minutae.

Edit: I would like to extend my definition to also include people who are permanently interested in gaming to the extent that they go into depth in the games themselves, either reading up on lore, concept art, watch in depth analysis videos, buy collectibles, limited editions, artbooks, attend gaming conventions etc.

Based on that definition, no again. I have done some of that with a couple of games (e.g., read lore, watched in-depth videos), but that's been the rare exception.

But based on my own definition ("someone who spends lots of time on gaming forums talking and reading about games"), yes, I am.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Gaming has been my hobby for 37 years, so I guess that makes me an enthusiast even tho I'm too cheap & don't have the time for more than one platform...well I've got three atm (PS3&4 and Switch) but I only really play one at a time.

Jeff6851

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, those years are long behind me. I still enjoy games every now and again but I don't buy anything at full price anymore (I actually did buy HZD full price which was the first time I had done that in years) and I'm ok with a mid-tier gaming PC and vanilla PS4. Part of that is because of income but I've got other interests that are more important to me.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Considering that this forum is literally an online community for enthusiast gamers, yes.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Absolutely. It's the only hobby that has really stuck with me for my entire life.

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
SmĂĄland, Sweden
I agree, it's difficult to see someone who would say something like "it's unplayable at 30fps" as a game enthusiast.
Yeah, I agree.

I remember buying the original Deus Ex at launch back in 2000 even though my PC was below minimum requirements. It ran at 7-11fps, but screw that, I wanted to play the game and did. Played thru the game 3 times before touching anything else.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
By your definition, not at all OP.

By my definition, which is someone who is actively searching for information about old, new and current games, yes I am. Among my friends, I'm probably the only one that tries a bunch of different games a year spawning over different genres, unlike my friends who usually buy the latest COD or Fifa and some other popular game they've heard about in between (worth noting that there isn't anything wrong with that and doesn't make someone less than a gamer, if that makes sense).

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I play them for hundreds of hours, make them for a living and also do my own stuff at home. I guess I like 'em alright.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
"No," said the contrarian poster on the 3rd (4th?) spin-off of an Internet video game message board.

tbf apparently there are quite a few here on the off-topic side who don't play video games anymore.

Stormed

Jan 5, 2018
Utah
I used to be, but I took a giant break from gaming during my teens and haven't really been the same since. I still love video games nonetheless.

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure. I really enjoy them and I enjoy following the industry even though I feel like less and less of the mass-appeal games appeal to me.

MidiPour

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Considering it took me years to get the PS4, and that being the original, along with how I waited until Black Friday to buy all my games, with the exception of Monster Hunter, I would probably say not really in the way you've got it described. I did buy a Hori Mini Fight Stick a few months back, but even with that I have found myself picky, wanting to get the best deal I can on a fighting game. I consider myself an enthusiast in the sense that I like collecting, playing and talking about games, but I can't see myself justifying buying a game full priced because that ends up souring the experience for me.

Last edited:

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
For sure. High end gaming pc 1700x. GTX 1080,1440p monitor. 65Inch tv and a PS4 Pro. I always go for the best experience where I can. Would get a 1x if it actually had something I wanted to play.

Yun

Oct 27, 2017
No one can answer these 15 gaming related questions!

What's a Pikachu?

Pokémon

Or

Desperate housewife

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I consider myself a horror game enthusiast, for certain. I doubt many would argue I wasn't one either.

I don't fit your definition though, and frankly I think you're putting a few things on-top of each other that aren't specifically related, and trying to focus on a single faucet to define this rather than the multi-faceted reality of the consume (and indeed, enthusiast).

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I'd consider myself an enthusiast just for how much of my free time and interest is devoted into the hobby. Don't really care about getting the latest and greatest tech as I'm a bit more pragmatic than that, and I don't think game lore is very interesting and things like collector's editions are a waste of money. Despite the investment I put into it, I don't have much reverence for the pastime. It's just a novel time waster for me.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Thread title. I would define a gaming enthusiast as a person who constantly seeks out the latest and greatest technology, is willing to tinker and pay a premium to get the perfect gaming experience, whether it's a living room setup, the perfect on-the-go setup or a bedroom battlestation.

Examples of enthusiasts are forums like AVS for home theater enthusiasts, or HeadFi for audio enthusiasts, or the myriad of car forums for car enthusiasts...my question being, is Era a forum of gaming enthusiasts? And to what extent do you seek out the best equipment to enjoy your hobby?

Edit: I would like to extend my definition to also include people who are permanently interested in gaming to the extent that they go into depth in the games themselves, either reading up on lore, concept art, watch in depth analysis videos, buy collectibles, limited editions, artbooks, attend gaming conventions etc.
I'm not willing to spend a ton on the latest hardware(I don't even PC game), but I do like games more than the average person who isn't a gamer and talk about it often.. Hell more than play it.

Ap3x

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Defenitly yes, gaming and the world around it is my No. 1 hobby.
I can spend thousands of hours playing games, watching videos about the lore, talk with people here on on other forums and so an.

And I spend a significant amount of my hard earned money on this business.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Yes, absolutely. I'm on here every day, this should be enough of an answer.

I mention that I play videogames on my dating profile.

That's actually an interesting point. Gaming is relatively often omitted when asked about hobbies, because some people still attach a certain negative image to it. But it's a part of me, so I mention it.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
i play games. i don't think there's a need to 'brand' myself with any sort of 'designation' other than 'i play games'.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you can be a member of an off-shoot of another gaming forum and not consider yourself a gaming enthusiast.

Calfirma

Oct 31, 2017
people who are permanently interested in gaming to the extent that they go into depth in the games themselves, either reading up on lore, concept art, watch in depth analysis videos, buy collectibles, limited editions, artbooks, attend gaming conventions etc.
FFXIVLoreBookSPOT1.jpg

I mean, I've basically bought every thing FFVII, FFXIV, FFXV, Nier/Drakengard related at this point with no regrettis over it.

I may not buy every game or go to conventions (I live very far away from any) but by god any game I do buy I EAT IT UP

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
That's how I describe My gaming interest, but I wouldn't fit under your definition since I don't care for the latest hardware or having the best graphics.

I guess My definition would be:

-Having a broad taste of genres (I don't like ALL genres but I'd say I play 80-90% of the genres I can think of.
-Not afraid of Indie games or mid-budget games.
-Not afraid of revisiting older game generations.
-Have a better knowledge of games and the industry than the average gamer.

But in the end I think I use "game enthusiast" to try to get away from the "gamer" label due to the stigma of that label.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I've spent countless hours having discussions about video games on the internet. It's my favorite hobby.