• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you count Borderlands in the same bracket as the games in the title?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
yes in that they're all looter shooters. no in the sense that its not the same kinda loot-shooter.

idk. I never played borderlands 2. And i had the misfortune of playing Borderlands 1...relatively recently. Like in the last 2 years or so. And idk how old it is....but i did not like it. I dont like the artstyle. I didn't like the controls or how the game played. Felt like a PS2 FPS. I wanted to try the sequel but idk my impression of the original kinda sours that.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
The online, persistent nature of Destiny, The Division and similar games is a core part of the experience that Borderlands doesn't have. It would be easy to take Borderlands and make it an online semi-MMO game, but without those social features you cannot consider them within the same sub genre. If you say they are all looter shooter games, sure, but there's such a big difference that stopping there seems borderline disingenuous.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Borderlands feels way more like singleplayer adventure than those other games. Sure they are similar, but they feel more different than they actually are. Its weird

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
At first I was, yes! And then I was, actually, no! Annnd now I'm not sure.

God, I miss Borderlands.

giphy.gif

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would say no, but each time I've played games like Destiny or The Division, I always would think "Borderlands did this _____ thing better." The blank being a multitude of game designs, namely loot, which is what those games are about.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's funny that looking back, the Borderlands games are actually miles better than the other looter shooters

I may be biased as someone who prefers playing solo, and the Borderlands games are great as solo games (more so than the others, anyway)

I guess these games make more money when they're stuffed full of microtransactions, but I think that unquestionably hurts the overall quality of the games

Maybe it's better at providing a 1000 hour end game grind that can ensnare a solid number of whales, but I'm happy with a competent story and 20-50 hours of fun. I don't need every game I get to be able to last me years and years and thousands and thousands of hours

God, I miss Borderlands.

It really feels like a missed opportunity that we didn't get Borderlands 3 in 2016/2017

It's been 7 years since 2 now, and 6 years since TPS

The genre has exploded in popularity over the last 5 years and they completely missed their window to capitalise on that

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think so, most of those games have a heavy emphasis on the endgame, I feel like borderlands is about finishing the story plus a couple optional things.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I would argue that had Borderlands come out at a later time, it likely could have been. The problem is that it really does fall on the razor's edge in terms of how we wish to define it. On one hand, you are technically collecting a wide variety of weapons to use and they do have their rarities to them too. On the other, the customization isn't nearly as fancy as in the other games since you can set up much more than just a few guns.

Sadly though if Borderlands does come back, it will likely fall into that same bracket (and will likely have those elements that love to hate. 2K loves them some Microtransactions after all).

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think so, most of those games have a heavy emphasis on the endgame, I feel like borderlands is about finishing the story plus a couple optional things.

The endgame in Borderlands is extremely well done. It's not about the complexity of raids but character builds, which are extremely specific. Unfortunately there are a few op weapons that kinda ruin balance. Look up Vinylicpuma's class build videos on YouTube. It's actually insane how much effort they put into the harder difficulty and balancing. Most people will never devote the time to see it.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I'm not sure you're realizing your own bias here. The games are practically the same structurally outside of a couple of details. What you're doing is the equivalent of positing that a game with an in-game store can't be the same genre as a game without one.

So, what you're basically saying is the difference is marketing strategy, not gameplay.
GaaS is not a genre, it's a business operations strategy.
And while user acquisition is under the umbrella of marketing, I'd hesitate to simplify it as "marketing strategy", mostly because this forum's conception of marketing is incredibly simplistic (e.g. "Titanfall 2 failed because it had 'bad marketing'").

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Yes.

I count them all in the 'Very Boring' bracket.

(Excerpt Warframe, which I haven't played because it's in the 'Looks Boring, Cant Be Bothered' bracket.)

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
The humor in Borderlands killed the game for me so I'm not the biggest fan but I think the loot is fun. I don't think it's like Destiny 2 or Warframe because there isn't ongoing content or a changing game, it's static.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure I would. I think one of the main things that separates it is it's a game intended to be played cooperatively first and foremost, it is possible to play singleplayer but the games agent balanced for it, whereas the other titles mentioned have activities that can be played with relative ease solo, as well as activity's with friends.

Jun 26, 2018
Yes, Borderlands has always been a looter shooter and anyone saying otherwise needs their damn eyes checked.

The only functional difference between it and most of those other titles is the way multiplayer is handled. Everything else is pretty much the same.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
Borderlands doesn't provide the same connected and live experience the other games do. It's the same, but different. A sub-genre.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Borderlands has always been a looter shooter and anyone saying otherwise needs their damn eyes checked.

The only functional difference between it and most of those other titles is the way multiplayer is handled. Everything else is pretty much the same.

There are plenty more differences, hence the poll results.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I always felt like Destiny is a better setting of borderlands so yes. I only played until the ending so I can't compare the end game of GAAS to borderlands. Fundamentally, they are the same to me from the start to the credits.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No

Borderlands lacks the shared world components of Destiny.

There are no public events types where players on their own objectives could join in to help out.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't have the GaaS "gotta dedicate your life to this game or else you'll never see any of it's real content lol"-shit, that makes you work the game as your fucking day job.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Borderlands is a full game from the get-go. It's not a living, breathing world, because that's not the point; you're supposed to play through it over and over again, becoming noticeably stronger as you go. It's an FPS with Diablo-style progression and respects your time and lets you play at your own pace instead of gating progression on a weekly basis to keep you from burning through everything the game has to offer in a week.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
1 and 2 no
3 Will be and will probably fail at it because they would probably, most of the people who made BL2 such an amazing game as leads of that team have left sadly.

Also by the time 3 will be out all the money they made from BL2 will have dried up and it will have so many microtransactions for things that were free or only buying with in game money in BL2 that lots of the old player base will hate it.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In some ways, yes. But I don't think it's got that same focus on being a service type game.

I fully expect Borderlands 3 to be a full on GaaS game though

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People getting so hung up over the GaaS thing, as if that's the only thing these games are about. I shoot shit to get loot, and there's a shitton of loot, there's New Game+, there's raid bosses, there's co-op...

I dunno. Sounds like a loot shooter to me. A better one than any of the above mentioned as well, imo. At least BL2.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I wish games like Destiny and Anthem were half as good as Borderlands. The characters, story, enemy design, mission design, environmental variety... all light years ahead in Borderlands. In exchange we get... lifeless social hubs with random players spamming dance emotes and a couple of world events that repeat ad nauseam. The MMO aspects of games like Destiny are so half-baked that I would much rather have traditional co-op. The design choices that seperate those games from Borderlands are all made in favor of monetization and endless grinding. And there's nothing wrong with a grind but... Borderlands has a satisfying grind IN ADDITION to all of the other things that it has going for it.