• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you count Borderlands in the same bracket as the games in the title?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The DLC content is more end-game content than Destiny's GAAS content, is my point.

And there have been many articulations on why these differences are not substantial enough. And half the articulations that you agree with have been "No, because Borderlands is so much better" which is a bias against associating borderlands with games they do not like.

Oh, come on. Mods were loot but not in the same sense as the other games. You could make a better case for Warfame being in a separate category than Borderlands.

GAAS is basically a way to get more money from an individual over a longer period of time while releasing... Not more content than a borderlands season pass. Destiny is basically Borderlands struture + GAAS with less base content by several orders of magnitude and less content in the GAAS content than the borderlands DLCs.

What you're reading is basically that poster wanted you to imply a result, which in turn means your inserting your bias to get a specific result. Your current title already leans toward a result. If the title was "Is borderlands a looter shooter" you'd be getting a much different result.

I got confused between knoxx's armory and the time-limited armory loot you can do in one of the BL 2 dlcs. It's been awhile.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree, we're not going to convince each other on most of these points.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
No. It's a single/co-op shooter, with a long campaign. It doesn't have daily/weekly missions and I think most people never farm: they do a complete playthrought and then, maybe, a new game plus, but they don't fight the same boss multiple times in the same playthrought.

For me, it's more like Halo, Gears of War or BioShock.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I don't, not sure why, but I'm excited as hell for BL3 and would love for it to be similar to destiny/division and do whatever the hell it is that keeps me playing those games for an insane amount of time.
I worry about the campaign. If gearbox can spread their resources well enough they can have their cake and eat it too, though. These games frequently struggle the most with campaigns and a lack of content at launch (though tbf to destiny 2 lack of content wasn't its biggest problem necessarily). Barring nefarious reasons, I'm guessing this happens because all the other systems involved in creating an MMO-lite experience probably change these types of devs traditionally are use to structuring their games from a technical and user experience standpoint.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No. It's a single/co-op shooter, with a long campaign. It doesn't have daily/weekly missions and I think most people never farm: they do a complete playthrought and then, maybe, a new game plus, but they don't fight the same boss multiple times in the same playthrought.

But modern entries in Halo and Gears of war have Weekly/daily missions and don't do the level up or gear thing. It's a stretch to say that Borderlands is more like Halo and bioshock than it is like Destiny. And I've totally farmed for equipment in Borderlands, that's like half the point fo the game.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
No. Borderlands itemization is much too poor to compare to any of those games.

Also, none of them (IIRC, because after Borderlands 2 I stopped following the franchise) are GaaS.

They're quirky games that rely on pop culture references as a substitute for humor with some of the worse loot tables out of all Diablo inspired action rpgs. But they're not persistent iLevel grinds like recent MMO inspired constantly-updated shooters.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

many people definitely do this as specific bosses/enemies drop certain equipment. Which can make raid bosses easier

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
I played the borderlands games single player and enjoyed them.

I'm currently playing the "campaign" in the division. I'm enjoying that as well, however the game does let you know that you really are playing the appetizer rather than the main course and that playing it alone isn't really what they intended . Same with destiny. I know borderlands should be played co-op, but it's less in your face about it if you don't.

Personally I prefer borderlands approach as the quests are slightly less repetitive and the campaigns feel like real things rather than training for some end-game.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
The only difference is that you don't get auto matched in a common instance with randoms. Otherwise they are the same genre.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
but they don't fight the same boss multiple times in the same playthrough
I killed Crawmerax far more times than Atheon and I ran v0g many, many times. Shit, I'd load into the Knoxx DLC, run around kill a bunch of mobs, drive over to Crawmerax and kill her 5-7 times then glitch into the Armory. Quit and repeat. Almost always solo.

Last edited:

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Not the same in my head mainly because Borderlands does not have the shared world /public event that is in Destiny or The Division. It's more focused on co-op stuff.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
But modern entries in Halo and Gears of war have Weekly/daily missions and don't do the level up or gear thing. It's a stretch to say that Borderlands is more like Halo and bioshock than it is like Destiny. And I've totally farmed for equipment in Borderlands, that's like half the point fo the game.
I didn't know for Halo and Gears, sorry. But BioShock has a level system and it's not comparable to Destiny.

I understand the comparison between Borderlands and Diablo, but between Borderlands and Destiny/The Division? Borderlands doesn't have raids, doesn't have a real PvP system (you can do some 1v1 in game, but the first to shot win), doesn't have weekly/daily missions... It's a traditional single/multiplayer open world shooter, not even a real game as a service.

many people definitely do this as specific bosses/enemies drop certain equipment. Which can make raid bosses easier
Many people, for sure, but a small percentage of players.

I killed Crawmerax far more times than Atheon and I ran v0g many, many times.
And how many percent of players killed Crawmerax, at least one time? I don't say no one farm, I say most people don't.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
They lack an emphasis on the online aspect and some of current forms to keep players engaged - like the grind for materials, crafting and so on. But most of the general elements where already there (specially with Borderlands 2), with huge post launch support with free and paid updates, several optional bosses designed to be repeatedly taken as a team, scaling difficulty levels, and of course, the loot.

So it lacks some of the elements specially in regards to long term support and player retention, but I think it has more in common than not with the current crop of games, specially in the gameplay loops.

And I have not played so I can't comment too much, but does Anthem have a social hub?

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
They lack an emphasis on the online aspect and some of current forms to keep players engaged - like the grind for materials, crafting and so on. But most of the general elements where already there (specially with Borderlands 2), with huge post launch support with free and paid updates, several optional bosses designed to be repeatedly taken as a team, scaling difficulty levels, and of course, the loot.

So it lacks some of the elements specially in regards to long term support and player retention, but I think it has more in common than not with the current crop of games, specially in the gameplay loops.

And I have not played so I can't comment too much, but does Anthem have a social hub?

It does, but it's very tiny and not somewhere people will want to hang out in its current state.

You unlock it during the campaign.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
And how many percent of players killed Crawmerax, at least one time? I don't say no one farm, I say most people don't.
1/5 people beat a raid in Destiny 1 on PSN. I'd imagine there were people who got their raid completion with CE, not v0g. I would gather the numbers to actually be very similar percentage wise. People absolutely farm bosses in BL.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know for Halo and Gears, sorry. But BioShock has a level system and it's not comparable to Destiny.

I understand the comparison between Borderlands and Diablo, but between Borderlands and Destiny/The Division? Borderlands doesn't have raids, doesn't have a real PvP system (you can do some 1v1 in game, but the first to shot win), doesn't have weekly/daily missions... It's a traditional single/multiplayer open world shooter, not even a real game as a service.
Anthem doesn't have PVP at all, and Bioshock's "level" system is incomparable to Borderlands. Borderlands has a branching tree system which is very similiar to Destiny. Destiny is basically using a Borderlands-lite level-up system, Borderlands is using a diablo-lite level up system.

GAAS doesn't actually mean all that much in terms of game structure. The difference between Destiny and Borderlands is one is a GAAS Shlooter the other is a co-op season pass based shlooter.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I played all the Borderlands solo and could do nearly everything aside from some dlc bosses. Can't do that with any of those other games.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017

Many people, for sure, but a small percentage of players.

Ummmm, a lot actually. Well over a million people. As borderlands 2 has sold well over 10 million and the trophy "thresher thrashed" has a unlock rate of 12.2%. And he's one of the hardest raid bosses in the game. The raid boss of tiny tina has a completion rate of 6.7%. And that's only from people who synced their trophies online. So it's higher than that

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Nah, Borderlands is more like Diablo than anythng. Absolutely fantastic story with characters you actually care about and loot driven co-op experience. No shared world bullshit, no absurd GaaS monetization, no shitty limited time events or items, the DLC and updates actually have content.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Wow like
Mortal Kombat X
Or
Street Fighter V
Or
Gears of War 4

Your point?

Dunno about GoW 4, but MKX is not a GaaS game, in fact it ceased getting new content long ago, it's a game with DLC, it's different from a full on GaaS like anthem and destiny and the rest, and Borderlands is different too, Borderlands even has much less MTX than those 3 examples too! Borderlands games just got expansions and that's about it.

Gearbox does have a GaaS game, it's called Battleborn and just comparing that game with Borderlands you'll understand the difference.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big difference is Borderlands business model isnt based around launching incomplete and sucking in players who want to see the game be made better over time and seeing that as a good sign of developer support.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Big NO.

I don't play online. I played Borderlands 1 & 2 offline and liked them a lot, but I don't want at all play any of those other games.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember the last time a poll on here was this close to being straight 50:50.

This is kinda incredible.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC Borderlands has no actual cosmetics other than whatever stupid ass guns you get?

To me, the dressup is part of the equation of those games. Making my character LOOK more powerful because they've gotten better gear or unique sets and stuff is a part of the genre.

9/10 items that you equip just being stat sticks is lame as hell

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I do. Mechanically, Borderlands very much feels like the prototype for those other games. When Destiny 1 launched, Borderlands was pretty much all I could think to compare it to.

When and if Borderlands 3 comes out I'm fairly certain it will take a lot of cues from the current loot shooter market.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, I enjoy playing Borderlands for their singleplayer and don't care about playing with other people.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC Borderlands has no actual cosmetics other than whatever stupid ass guns you get?

To me, the dressup is part of the equation of those games. Making my character LOOK more powerful because they've gotten better gear or unique sets and stuff is a part of the genre.

BL1 and 2 had cosmetics. It was mostly different color pallets and heads though, and they weren't tied to stats.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Nope. It has way more in common with ARPGs like Diablo. You're also not forced to play online or with other people for the majority of the content.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
First shared world looter shooter FPS game with raids.

So yeah.... definitely

there's no Shared world, there was just a co op option in a campaign game

And "raids" for BL just meant harder enemies. groups of 4 is the regular co op content, groups of 4 is the raid content.

one part of the definition of raids from every other game in existence is more than the regular party size

BL1 and 2 had cosmetics. It was mostly different color pallets and heads though, and they weren't tied to stats.

yeah I remember it was basically "do I want to be the green brick or the blue brick" and that doesn't count to me

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Your point?

Dunno about GoW 4, but MKX is not a GaaS game, in fact it ceased getting new content long ago, it's a game with DLC, it's different from a full on GaaS like anthem and destiny and the rest, and Borderlands is different too, Borderlands even has much less MTX than those 3 examples too! Borderlands games just got expansions and that's about it.

Gearbox does have a GaaS game, it's called Battleborn and just comparing that game with Borderlands you'll understand the difference.

It is possible to play GAAS games offline

Like Battleborn

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
No. It's not online only, it's not GaaS. It's closer to Diablo than any of those.

BL3 might move closer to those, though, BL2 came out before this MMO-lite GaaS shooter craze started

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Borderlands has Metacritic score in the low 80's, and yet people act like it is some kind of untouchable classic. Always seemed a bit odd to me.

There's plenty of games that have improved and expanded its ideas immensely.

Oct 26, 2017
The biggest difference is that Borderlands was built from the ground up to be a complete, self contained game. You're not reliant on an internet connection to either make the game "complete" nor play it "properly"
Although most would say co-op is the ideal way to play, the game plays absolutely fine solo, it doesn't feel like you're short changing yourself by playing alone and the game scales up when players are added as opposed to making life difficult for solo players. Then there's the second wind system that allows the solo player to revive themself instead of needing a friend.

The additional content felt like just that, additional, there were no gaps in the game that were filled in later. The Borderlands DLC was far more akin to an old school expansion like The Witcher 3 add-ons. It was stuff you could invest more time and money into if you wanted more.

They share similar dna, but the Borderlands series has so much more respect for the player in letting you play as you want instead of corralling you into the way the developer wants you to play, i.e, getting you stuck on a loot treadmill with other players in order to extract more money from you.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Borderlands 2 had paid/unpaid skins.

Dragonelite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Borderlands has Metacritic score in the low 80's, and yet people act like it is some kind of untouchable classic. Always seemed a bit odd to me.

There's plenty of games that have improved and expanded its ideas immensely.

Some games become cult classic without scoring high on meta scoring sites. Last Gen I would dragon dogma was also such a title.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As looter shooters yes. I look at BLs as more of a single player game and the others multiplayer.

Ricky64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
No, Borderlands didn't have timed events, raids etc.
It was just a coop FPS with loot and classes that got some DLC. Totally different to me, but you could say that it did a lot for the genre.