• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Hi Era,

This is my first ever thread. It's been a few years since when I started to crack my back on almost a daily basis. Sitting in chair for many hours playing video games for all these years, my neck and back started to hurt 3 years ago or more. Since then, cracking these 2 parts of my body give me such a good feeling & I can't help but doing it everyday (a few times a day for my neck), but I am afraid I might've ended up making it worse in the long term. I've yet to do a consulting with a physician or Chiropractor for this matter.

Is it bad to crack your back?? I've read a few articles online but they're really contradictory (As per usual). One says it's not bad, the other says the contrary..

What's your experience on this ERA?

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I used to when I was younger and actually started to do it again recently. I wouldn't, but sometimes my back feels "stuck" a bit and doing it makes it feel better, so I dunno. I really do it only once a week or so.

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mine cracks naturally when I stretch it. Not as good as when I was a spry young lad.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Cracking is all fine, just dont overdo any motions that may fuck something else up.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
You should probably look into how you're sitting in your chair for hours playing video games, because you shouldn't be hurting.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Cracking" any joint is just air within joint fluid moving around. Cracking or popping your back itself is not harmful. However, some people will try too hard if they don't get that "pop", and will strain muscles and such, causing injury. You don't *need* a pop to get relief in your back. That relief is caused by the stretching of your muscles.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Cracking your back/neck is unlikely to lead to issues if you're young, but there have been freak accidents where people crack their necks only to accidentally injure their spinal chord.

When you're older, though, I know it's really not a good idea to crack your neck, as you can reduce the elasticity of the joint and injure yourself more easily.

That being said, I still do it from time to time. Sometimes it's just the result of stretching, so it can't be avoided in some respects.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I have this metal chair that's just the right curvature and height for me to hit all spots on my back.

It's delightful but I don't do it often.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Just remember not to overdo cracking your back.
latest

OP
OP
Funkybee

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
You should probably look into how you're sitting in your chair for hours playing video games, because you shouldn't be hurting.

Actually I've had my family people telling me that my sitting position is quite bad, but it soothes down the pain of my back. And I just googled now, but apparently I sit at the 135 degree most of the time which according to this picture is the right way??? I thought 90 degrees was the standard lol..
seating-positions-less-than-70-sitting-straight-upright-in-your-10532232.png

OP
OP
Funkybee

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
However, some people will try too hard if they don't get that "pop", and will strain muscles and such, causing injury.

Shit, I'm one of them tryhards to get that "pop". Thanks for the valid info. You reminded me of that woman a few weeks ago that ended up in ER for cracking her neck hard :|

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I tend to stretch the heck out of my back until I hear/feel that 'krtt' sound :( & I've gotten kinda scared a few times because of the intensity :|
Just remember that the popping itself is not necessary to get the same relief. You're stretching your muscles, particularly your paraspinal muscles. That's where the relief is coming from. Don't keep straining until you get the popping sound, because you may hurt yourself (and still not get the popping sound).

OP
OP
Funkybee

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Just remember that the popping itself is not necessary to get the same relief. You're stretching your muscles, particularly your paraspinal muscles. That's where the relief is coming from. Don't keep straining until you get the popping sound, because you may hurt yourself (and still not get the popping sound).

Makes total sense. I do recall many times where I'd try hard to feel that sound and give up at some point, but still feel relieved, probably psychological.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
If your neck or back started hurting from cracking it constantly, I would consult a physician. ERA isn't a medical dictionary and your doctor would do a better job at finding out the root cause of the problem.

Be glad you're not this lady:
https://in.news.yahoo.com/23-old-woman-partially-paralyzed-193100971.html

P.S. If you really enjoy cracking your back, invest in a rumble roller, it helps me relieve some of the kinks and muscle strains in my back whenever I feel tight, especially after work.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
Never been a "cracker", don't think my back has ever cracked even accidentally. This and knuckle cracking have always seemed kinda gross to me.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The far more horrifying thing I crack on a daily basis is my sternum ☠️.

Drives my girlfriend nuts when I flex my chest and emit a dozen micro-pops.

OP
OP
Funkybee

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
If your neck or back started hurting from cracking it constantly, I would consult a physician. ERA isn't a medical dictionary and your doctor would do a better job at finding out the root cause of the problem.

Be glad you're not this lady:
https://in.news.yahoo.com/23-old-woman-partially-paralyzed-193100971.html

I am aware of that & I know I need to do a proper consult with a doctor but I was just curious to know Era's insight. I got scared when I read the news about that poor woman.

OP
OP
Funkybee

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Never been a "cracker", don't think my back has ever cracked even accidentally. This and knuckle cracking have always seemed kinda gross to me.

Yeah I do crack my knuckles too and some people tend to feel "yikess" and can't stand the sound of it, same as with the glass scratching, which I had no idea it was that bad.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I am aware of that & I know I need to do a proper consult with a doctor but I was just curious to know Era's insight. I got scared when I read the news about that poor woman.
I know me posting it is fear-mongering, but the chance of this happening is like winning the lottery, so you should be fine even if you continue to do it.

I don't crack my back or neck, but I do for my knuckles and wrists. My wrists especially can get a good branch-snapping (or crinkling tin-foil? Not sure the onomatopoeia to use) crack throughout that feels so I know what you mean.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
I got massive backpain when I'm at middle school, figure out how to "crack" my back if I'm lying at bed.. I dunno its placebo or not, but that help me.. 13 year later I still do it everyday.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I have been cracking my back and neck since grade school. I have neck pain but its from working at a desk job for almost 8 years now with bad posture, not cracking my neck.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I've never done it once in my life. Wouldn't know how to.

I have no back or neck pain at all though. *Knocks on wood as I'm turning 30 in a few months*

Oct 31, 2017
don't go to a chiropractor

But to answer ur question, I crack my entire body a little too much lol

You have to strengthen your back, though

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Huge cracker over here. I don't do my neck though.

If you want back relief, buy a Teeter Hangup. Maybe the best thing I've ever bought.

OP
OP
Funkybee

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
I've never done it once in my life. Wouldn't know how to.

I have no back or neck pain at all though. *Knocks on wood as I'm turning 30 in a few months*

Damn I thought that 'knocking the wood' superstition was just known from where I come from exclusively lol. I'm from Europe by the way, Balkans. Would you happen to my somewhere close?

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Everyday, feels good.

Also, I can add to the sternum cracker. Sometimes I'll get that, not always, but it feels good.

I asked my dad way back (doctor), and he confirmed we're just quite clicky generally and not to worry about it.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever i feel my back be tense, both thumbs as high as possible on my spine, breath in and... I feel my back go from the middle all the way to my neck crack.
Also often happens whenever I do yoga/body balance, but that's more because I happen to bent and stretch in such weird ways during those exercises.
It always feels so good, I always have terrible headaches non stop, so a good crack in my back/neck always feels terrific!