• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
When I was in college, yeah, I would grab lunch by myself all the time. I didn't feel awkward or anything. If I bought something around my house, I would bring it back to the house just because. Nowadays, I usually eat with my gf. But whenever she's not around, I prefer to cook something because eating out is a money pit.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do when I'm away with work on my own. It depends on where I am. If I'm at home in the UK it feels weird - I do it out of necessity and spend most of the meal on my phone. If I'm away in the USA I sit at the bar, eat, drink and chat with the staff - I actually enjoy it.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
To me, restaurants are for conversation. I would never dine solo.

Edit: Especially not interested in eating with randos at the bar.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have a choice, it's either eat alone at home or at a restaurant and I'd much rather go somewhere now and then

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
In the sense of going to a fancy diner? No, because they're kinda costly for going alone, kinda see them as a special occasion so i prefer going with friends/dates.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
I've dined out on my own many times. Don't want to hold back on enjoying myself just because I don't have anyone to go with me. I'll generally try sit at the bar, if they have one, so I'm not taking up a table. For some, that would also help ease the awkwardness, too.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Nothing beats going to a quiet diner and sitting down with a cup of coffee, a book, and some pancakes when you just want to chill.

Hell, now I'm going to do that tomorrow because it's such a relaxing experience.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Sure. Another great activity to do solo is go see a movie in the middle of the day. Nothing awkward about it. No one else to worry about and you get to eat food in peace while just taking in all the deliciousness.

If you're looking for companionship as well though given you are a college grad might I recommend looking at local hangout/meetup groups that either are tailored to your profession you are pursuing or any hobbies you may enjoy.
This right here. One of the things I found to enjoy from my divorce is to go out to the movies and watch what I want by myself.

As for dining, I enjoy going out myself. I get to pick the place, enjoy my meal at my pace, and I'll casually browse around on my phone as I wait for the server with my dish. I did this yesterday for lunch, picked out a spot at random, ordered my food, and played some games while I waited. I got to chat a little with the owner as well and got some good inside info on when to visit them again.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
I go to see movies by myself, don't go out to eat by myself as I am cheap and would rather cook my own food.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
Yep although I'll usually dine at the bar if available. It's a great way to meet other people as well that are dining solo.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
There is a nice family-owned pizza and grill restaurant that I go to every other day after classes where I like to sit down and eat by myself. Much better than coming home and then ordering a pizza which is miles worse than the one I eat at the mentioned place. It's even cheaper as well.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Unless I'm out doing errands, on a lunch break at work, or out shopping at a mall shopping, it's takeout for sure. Would much rather enjoy it at home. To me, eating out by yourself legit sucks. I don't wanna make smalltalk with randos, bartenders or servers. And I can play on my phone and eat just fine at home.

But if you like it, more power to you.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I might Deliveroo alone but I usually can't be arsed dining alone. I've done it with no awkwardness but without another person the appeal is lesser.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I dine by myself. Even if I invite, usually get a no from coworkers, friends and women I try to flirt with. If Im invited, I feel like I mostly say yes.

I have no luck with people.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Only if I planned to do something else in the area after eating, but otherwise just carry out and eat it at home. I like a lot of things alone, but dining alone is one of the few things that is just awkward to me.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I have never had issues with single dining. In fact it's on these boards where apparently it's an issue with some. Super weird.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do you all think people are going to judge you if you eat solo or something?

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If traveling for work, I have, but I always would sit at the bar, same menu, give that a try.

thespire

Feb 27, 2018
I dined solo just the other night and it ended up being one of the most surreal experiences of my life. Wasn't dining solo for long! Lol

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I travel a ton. Sometimes alone. I enjoy going out to a restaurant by myself. I like eclectic food. I often take the opportunity to eat at fancy places since I travel for work. Pay for the booze on my own card and I can put the meal on work. Since it's just me I don't have to worry about satisfying anyone else who may just be a meat and potatoes type of person.

Along with those reasons I also enjoy the banter with the staff. I was in Atlanta this past week and would have some short but enjoyable conversations with my waiter during dinner the first night. I often like to sit at the bar as well when eating and will chat with the bartender. Last night during dinner I ordered a pour of Yamazaki 12. They were out but the bartender was happy to see someone order it and came by with some recommendations. I ended up sampling a ton of their stuff simply because he and I hit it off.

Going out alone is fun.

I tend to make friends that way.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Yeah I do. I'm married now but I still do sometimes before work or if my wife is at work. For breakfast I like to sit at a table instead of at the counter and people definitely give a second look sometimes when I sit down alone. It's really strange that people do that but I just ignore it. Usually bring a book or use my phone. Look out the window.

Jaoox

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like restaurants that much... So no.

I'd cook for myself instead. Much more satisfying

applejuice

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
I go out alone often. Seeing matinee movies with only 3 other people at the screening is fun, sometimes we'll talk after the movie is over. Can't do that when you came with friends and the place is packed.

cHaotix

Oct 25, 2017
With or without friends. If I have the craving for something and no one else is down I'll go alone. Why would you deny yourself something you want?

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I have at fast food places hundreds of times. I think I've only gone to a restaurant alone maybe a couple times when traveling.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
For breakfast or lunch i do. I just surf on my phone or do paperwork on it if i need to. Ill bring my switch if i have an hour to kill and just play in a booth after eating.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
I have done on plenty of occasions. Most are fine, one or two places have acted a bit off but largely it's ok.

Why I have done is down to a number of reasons: out alone, visiting a place, friends aren't interested etc.

Edit: actually that reminds me...one time I was in a Pizza Hut whilst visiting Edinburgh and one of the other customers came over and sat opposite me. She then started to say how her son does the same and nearly broke into tears saying how brave I was...it was a bit surreal lol.

Last edited:

jakncoke

Nov 5, 2017
I dont dine solo because I feel awkward. I much rather dine with people even if the opposite person or persons heads are into their phones as is mine. Just feel more comfort as weird as that may seem

Seven4sses

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I haven't found a place to sit down and eat as of late, but I would mostly order out and just come eat at home. This way I won't leave my dog alone while I eat. I would have to eat out during my lunch break for sure.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
No, but that mostly just because I don't go out to eat unless there's some occasion to do so. Cheaper to just make something at home. Anytime I go out to eat, it's because I'm doing so with friends/a date/family for a particular reason.

Nov 17, 2017
I don't dine alone. If I have no one to go out with, I'll just cook something. The price isn't worth it if I'm by myself. It's the social element and enjoying someone's company that makes it worthwhile to go out and pay more for a meal.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I'm at a brewery alone right now. I eat at the bars in restaurants alone. I've never gotten a table for one though. I think I'd feel weird.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
I'll sit at a bar and eat by myself. Don't think I would get a table and the whole deal if I was alone though.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
I rarely do it. I get anxiety when I'm in a restaurant alone. What am I supposed to look at. Am I chewing weird? I feel like I'm chewing weirdly.

I'll usually get take out instead. I rarely eat out anyways, though.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
Hell yes. I travel a decent amount for work and why would I deprive myself of a nice meal (on the company dime) because of some insecurity of sitting alone? It never even crosses my mind. And give me a table or booth, not some bar stool like at a diner. I don't do take out when traveling unless I've eaten there before and it's close to my hotel.