• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

(Insert thread title of this thread here)

• Yes, I believe that a bit of silliness can elevate the dour attitude that propigates on Etcetera.

Votes: 364 80.9%
  • I do not care one way or the other. I think you are all over thinking this.

Votes: 46 10.2%
  • No, I believe that such stupidity is below us.

Votes: 40 8.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I'm making this thread for 2 reasons,
The first reason, is because I believe it is a discussion worth having.
Over in the thread discussing the mental health of the members of this community, a quite a few members are talking about how EtcetEta's rather negative nature may have a habit of lowering the moods of those who frequent here. And I can't say I personally disagree; Era's constant Debbie Downerising has a habit of lowering my mood every time a new climate change thread turns up. A few members in that thread drew attention to the silly/stupid threads this forum brings in occasionally, and how those threads can elevate the mood a bit. A good example about a silly/stupid thread would be the current thread about the penis pump.

The second reason, more personal, and frankly not actually super relevant to the question at hand, so you don't need to care much about it.
It's Friday night in Australia again, and I find myself with a glass of wine in hand (Not Vodka this time. I didn't buy this wine.)
When drinking, I get this absolutely horrid itch for attention and socialization. I can go for ages on social scraps when sober, most likely owing to my nature as someone on the spectrum, but the itch just kills me if I'm drinking alone. I was thinking about making another silly thread to satisfy this itch, but after last weeks one, I don't want to risk my thread making privileges being taken away (My account here means a lot to me). So instead I've channeled that desire to socialize into this more meta thread, asking a question I myself am very interested in seeing the discussion for.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like sometimes threads get closed because they're not "productive" but what does that even mean? This forum is a random entertainment waste of time, just let people be entertained.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
There is an art to silly threads. The best ones include everyone but don't make others feel isolated. Your intent ultimately can't be self-indulgent or malicious or the results are typically disastrous. They are a good break from all of the serious threads, but need to be carefully posted and not overdone.

Dec 2, 2017
Every forum needs silliness. The OT section of resetera reads like the worst case of a doomsday watch when this is simply not the case if you bother to look at the reality.

More stupid stuff!

edit: Fun and stupid stuff. The regular weekend threads about showering and bowel movements can die in a fire.

Oct 25, 2017
Surprisingly large amount of dumb ass threads on off topic right now actually. Mods don't close the penis pump thread

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Stupid threads are where all the most legendary shit comes from

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I think it depends on the silly thread. It might seem a bit weird to say, but I feel like they need to have a little bit of effort put into them in order for them to be enjoyable for me.

Speaking about the issue in the OP regarding the types of threads on ResetEra, I wish that there was more non-serious, unimportant news threads. For example, the old site used to have posters that made a lot of science threads (like pop science news and whatnot) and those were always cool. And just more fun news in general.

I would post threads like that myself, but I don't feel like I can handle that responsibility.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, threads are far too quickly locked for being "unproductive". Let people have fun. Let thread creators get dunked on for posting something dumb occasionally. As long as it's not malicious, who cares?

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I only engage with the most intellectual of threads, the ones that really get my well educated noggin churning. Especially when they are about toilets.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Of course; a little levity in current times is welcome.

I only engage with the most intellectual of threads, the ones that really get my well educated noggin churning. Especially when they are about toilets.

I prefer threads about the directional force of penis pumps, but I guess we can't all be Rhodes scholars.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I like silly threads, but I REALLY like thread backfires.
Like when that one guy was like "UGH, someone just fed me LAMB without telling me, so fucked up" like it's some kind of weird meat.
Or when that one guy was like "I think people are just so jealous of us Americans for being so great"

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
yeah, people need to relax a little.
I am on board with this place 90% politically, but there's a lot of killjoys about.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm not going to link (it's Neogaf), but the guy had multiple threads like this (at least 3 or 4), I can only recall this one... something like "Do you know how much people envy us Americans?" or something. Maybe you can find it via google.

That was Korey, i think that USA USA USA stuff was his signature move.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking yes. I don't even care enough to click on most of them, but it's still frustrating how quickly mods will lock them.

I think we need one of those "invite only" threads to discuss this, consisting of Fat4all and no one else.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think the best thread is no thread. Resetera should just be a blank page from 12:00 to 22:00 eastern time (US). Reseterans can spend that time musing life, at the gym, with family and concentrating during work hours!

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We have stupid threads....like that one where the OP says cilantro/coriander is awful. I mean have you ever heard anything more stupid than that?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like sometimes threads get closed because they're not "productive" but what does that even mean? This forum is a random entertainment waste of time, just let people be entertained.
100% agreed. You've got to scratch your head when you see fun threads where everyone's having a good time get closed, while so many depressing and cynical threads remain open so they can grow and grow, clogging the front page with negativity.

There are some skewed standards at play here, if misery wanking is considered more productive than people having fun and finding harmless diversion in talking about poop or whatever.

Take a wild guess about which type of discussion is better for people's mental health.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Yes, and I use them as a joke in other threads to see if others get it.

My favorite is probably the dad who freaked out when he caught his kid doing weed and didn't know what to do with it.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes definitely. They are honestly the lifeblood of any thriving forum / community. There isn't enough of it on Era and I sometimes get the impression it's discouraged here. I would like to see that change.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
More frivolous and silly threads, until the streets run red with the blood of party-poopers.

inb4 lock

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The ones where the OP genuinely thinks they are asking a reasonable question, are the best. The ones where it is clear the OP is trying to be outrageous are a bit lame tbh.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I'm making this thread for 2 reasons,
The first reason, is because I believe it is a discussion worth having.
Over in the thread discussing the mental health of the members of this community, a quite a few members are talking about how EtcetEta's rather negative nature may have a habit of lowering the moods of those who frequent here. And I can't say I personally disagree; Era's constant Debbie Downerising has a habit of lowering my mood every time a new climate change thread turns up. A few members in that thread drew attention to the silly/stupid threads this forum brings in occasionally, and how those threads can elevate the mood a bit. A good example about a silly/stupid thread would be the current thread about the penis pump.
I love them. As someone who has been getting over suicidal thoughts they bring me legitimate amusement, especially the reaction gifs to said topics. But then when a mod decides to close them, due to reasons such mods not finding said topic to be worth it or unnecessary, etc, all I'm really faced with is negative topics, controversial issues, etc. Would be nice if they would last a bit longer, but it's whatever.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The ones where the OP genuinely thinks they are asking a reasonable question, are the best. The ones where it is clear the OP is trying to be outrageous are a bit lame tbh.
Yep, my favorite thing is when the OP is honestly clueless about some basic point of personal care, and you get pages of people reacting in disbelief or kindly trying to play the parent to this poor lost soul who didn't realize they were making a humiliating admission to the world.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I have not, nor will I ever partake of silliness of any size or form.
giphy.gif