• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Well, do you? Take "traveling" to mean whatever you want, just not the morning commute on a subway going to work. Something more substantial than that.

🚆 I personally like it a lot, though haven't had the opportunity to do it thaaat much. Soon though.🚆

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I love traveling by train. Usually my trips by train are rather short - about a half hour between DC and Baltimore. But even the longer trips I've taken such as up to NYC have been a breeze. So much better than planes and airports.

If DC was actually connected by train to Detroit I might prefer it, provided that freight wasn't prioritized like it is everywhere except parts of the northeast corridor.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I did it once in socal, fairly recently. It was very cool. I've rode the bus a lot in the past though.

But yeah seeing hte land from the train perspective is cool. Of course the train travels through a lot of different kind of land than what I'm normally used to, so you get different views.

Erik Zarkov

Dec 4, 2017
Well, I live in China. I so much prefer taking the fast trains over flying. No having to get to the station/terminal hours early, no long security lines, comfy seats, plenty of leg room, and a smooth ride that I can fall asleep on. I'm just able to chill for a while.

Oct 27, 2017
I've never stepped foot on a train in my life.
I have been thinking about taking my kids on the Everett to Leavenworth train in Washington this summer, though. You can get one-way tickets for as little as $15 each if you're willing to go early or late in the day.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I use municipal rail daily for my commute, but I've only taken longer train trips a handful of times - mostly up and around the Northeast Corridor. It's relaxing enough, but I feel like the US is too spread out for it to be a real travel alternative to flying.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I am so so so jealous of my European friends. I would kill to be able to travel to nearby cities by high speed train and it bothers me every single day that this way of travel doesn't exist in the US.

When I vacation in Europe I specifically make it a point to travel by high speed train even if a flight would be cheaper. The experience of a train is orders of magnitude better.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I live in China. I so much prefer taking the fast trains over flying. No having to get to the station/terminal hours early, no long security lines, comfy seats, plenty of leg room, and a smooth ride that I can fall asleep on. I'm just able to chill for a while.
This looked comfy.

I am so so so jealous of my European friends. I would kill to be able to travel to nearby cities by high speed train and it bothers me every single day that this way of travel doesn't exist in the US.

When I vacation in Europe I specifically make it a point to travel by high speed train even if a flight would be cheaper. The experience of a train is orders of magnitude better.
Yeah I'm excited to try a bunch of weird EU train routes on sleeper cars and stuff. I've taken some shorter Japan train trips but the variety here is exciting.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Yup. I don't drive and the UK has great public transport. They are absurdly expensive for long journeys unless you book in advance though.

I quite enjoy booking the quiet carriage and just playing my Switch or watching Netflix with snacks for 4-5 hours.

Unless some dickhead brings their screaming kid in the quiet coach.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I commute to work on the train everyday. Whenever I go to a bigger city, like Amsterdam, I take the train. And I've taken the train to Paris and Berlin.

I enjoy it. You can read and play games while enjoying the scenery.

Oct 31, 2017
It's my favourite way of travelling. That said, trains in the UK are ruinousley expensive and often shit, so apart from riding the tube I mainly use trains abroad

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I take the high-speed rail in Taiwan and Japan a few times a year. Easy and convenient. US should have been on that ages ago.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I want to take this OBB nightjet train soon. Look at that sleeper car god damn.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. As long as it's not rush hour, and it's fighting for a seat, I love it. Headphones on, good book and that's all I need. Driving is a waste of time in comparison, and flying has more hassle.

I used to take the train every day when I studied. Now I take a train maybe once or twice a month. Belgium's train network is quite performant, so it's usually easy to get where you want. It's also great you can take a train to Amsterdam, Paris and London.

I also loved taking the night train in Vietnam. Did it twice, and it was one of the best sleeps I ever had due to the soothing rhytm of the train. It also has a cool atmosphere. I'd love to do more night train travel in Europe, but it's been replaced by flying (Belgium in't on any route anymore) or very expensive. (I would be able to fly 2 times to Lisbon return, for one way on the night train)

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Yeah I'm excited to try a bunch of weird EU train routes on sleeper cars and stuff. I've taken some shorter Japan train trips but the variety here is exciting.

I've done an overnight sleeper train twice. Once from Amsterdam to Munich, and another time from Amsterdam to Prague (both on bahn.de) and I loved it. In both cases I opted for the first class private sleeping cabin because I am not interested in sharing a sleep cabin with some rando. I had my own private bathroom (and shower, which I didn't use) and the entire experience was wonderful. Train departed at like 8 or 9 pm and rolled into the station at 8-ish. Breakfast was served to me in the cabin when I woke up.

Aprikurt

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 29, 2017
The UK rail system is an utter disaster so... no, I hate it and only use it as a necessity. I'd say it's only really a must with somewhere like London where you can't really drive easily.

I was in a long distance relationship for two years and the train delays have become something of a running joke between me and my girlfriend. Being caught on a Manchester train packed arm to arm with other passengers whilst there's also a broken toilet in the same carriage... yeah. No.

Sputnik Sweetheart

FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 31, 2017
Live on the coast. View out the window every morning on the train to work is fantastic. I get time to read and sort stuff like bills/emails.

Not gonna lie and say it's perfect. There's been some particularly shit co-passengers - the lady that held the doors open with her bags so she could finish her cigarette and then jump on being a particulalry memorable one - but overall I enjoy trains.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I enjoy it, but very rarely do. In 2018 I did Moscow -> Beijing -> Lhasa by train and it was pretty fun!

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I've done an overnight sleeper train twice. Once from Amsterdam to Munich, and another time from Amsterdam to Prague (both on bahn.de) and I loved it. In both cases I opted for the first class private sleeping cabin because I am not interested in sharing a sleep cabin with some rando. I had my own private bathroom (and shower, which I didn't use) and the entire experience was wonderful. Train departed at like 8 or 9 pm and rolled into the station at 8-ish. Breakfast was served to me in the cabin when I woke up.
Amazing! Will experience this soon hopefully. Something romantic about sleeper cars and on board meals (restaurant / bistro cars rather than meal service specifically)

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not enough trains in my area to travel to the locations I want. No bullet train or anything.

Roberto Duran

Oct 25, 2017
Europe all about dem trains, and I like 'em. I will say Northern Rail sucks ass here in the UK. Virgin is pretty good, though pricey.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I wish the US had a better train system. It would probably allow for more tourist travel.
I enjoyed the trains when I was stationed in Korea. Japan has a nice system as well. Germany's was fine also but way more expensive compared to the other two.
Korea's was the most economical though. $5 for a bullet train to the capital, great deal. It was a smooth ride as well.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Yes. Travelling by train is the best. I love countryside trains. I shame in my country the train is stuck in the 1800's and the railway is very small.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
i've done a long-distance train journey once, commuter rail journeys a couple times, and take the subway constantly. i like it quite a bit.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Took my first train (ever) today. Felt pretty good although I can't speak/read the language so finding my way wasn't the simplest.

I figured it out, but it took a bit of time and effort I didn't anticipate.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Yeah, it's cool. Amtrak in America sucks.

I like the Romance Car from Tokyo to Hakone and the ICE Train from Hanover to Berlin was cool.

Oct 28, 2017
It depends on the train. Some trains in the UK are very comfortable and the journey is often good as a result. However many new trains here are both uncomfortable and noisy. It's a bad situation when trains from the 1970s are alot more pleasant to use than modern replacements.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I live in London and refuse to own a car, so I use trains all the time. Also buses. I prefer trains.

Great opportunity to read or do some work on my laptop.

Shiny Pokemon Hunter

Alt-account
Banned
Mar 5, 2019
I do, we have a train system that goes to my state's capitol among other cities.

It's not too expensive either and is decently smooth and quiet enough to have conversations.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
UK - I travel by train every day and hate it. It's expensive, overcrowded, noisy, often late, and they stink of burning oil - but I still do it over driving, at least I can switch off on the way home, driving can be stressful for me.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Always took the train as part of my job and now as a uni student

Anybody from the UK knows that southern rail is dogshit. espcially in the mornings. Ohter rails are fine. I lvoe the train though. Conveniant and i can watch some quick tv shows or movies depending on length of journey, or just listen to music

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Trains are good here in Ireland, but the train from my town to Dublin can get crowded and I hate standing, so I get the bus, which takes longer but I always get a seat and I can nap or read in peace.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's shit compared to the rest of the world but Amtrak has some pretty routes. I've taken the entire eastern seaboard route, NYc to Chicago, Boston to Chicago, Seattle to SF, LA to SD, and Seattle to Glacier Park. They have some really pretty routes, especially the last three. One of the most unforgettable trip I have taken in my whole life.

Take it when you can and while you are still young.

Last edited:

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are there still trains in the US you can use to travel to different states? I've always wanted to.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Budapest-Berlin, years ago: listened to podcasts half the way, slept (uncomfortably) the other half. I didn't have enough devices/battery to entertain myself the whole trip.

Barcelona-Madrid a few times. After the first time you realize it is going at 300km/h you just dont care anymore for the rest of the trip. Cant say it is much more comfortable than a shitty airplane.

Also Budapest-Prague and Moscow-St.Petersburg, but those I had company so it was not so bad, chatting along the way.

It is quite tedious and monotonous in general so I always prefer the cheapest option (meaning: bus or airplane). If I want to go "sightseeing" while traveling, better option is renting a car and taking your time.