• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really go out of my way to kill pedestrians in a game like GTA for example, but barring that, no OP, not really.

thelostone

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
You can use this silly argument to criticise anyone for getting any kind of enjoyment out of a game. Feel good about beaitng a game?
Just lines of code.

Like where the story is headed?
Not real, just lines of code.

Come on now.

Games are often designed to get you at least passingly emotionally invested.

For me it's animals. Monster Hunter was a tough one, even the aggressive ones are just animals. Feels like marching into their natural habitat and laying waste to it all.
Now you just taking words out of my mouth why would anyone feel bad for for killing a digital thing.

thelostone

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
You can use this silly argument to criticise anyone for getting any kind of enjoyment out of a game. Feel good about beaitng a game?
Just lines of code.

Like where the story is headed?
Not real, just lines of code.

Come on now.

Games are often designed to get you at least passingly emotionally invested.

For me it's animals. Monster Hunter was a tough one, even the aggressive ones are just animals. Feels like marching into their natural habitat and laying waste to it all.
in Borderlands u don't kill a bandit and say that was someone's son do you

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
The only thing that came to mind was in a recent play through of Modern Warfare Remastwred on Veteran difficultly I accidentally shot over the course of the game 3 named Marine teammates while trying to take out the opposing forces. It's just that sometimes they would run in front of me while about to shoot or the worst one when I thought one was a bad guy because I was coming up and and down from cover and just couldn't tell since on veteran you don't have much time to see anything before getting killed

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
When MGS:3 came out I would shoot guards with the silenced pistol and drop them in holes, swamps, off cliffs, etc. So they wouldn't be found.

I did it in the jungle and dropped a guy in a pit and I realized that was really cruel and he might have s family that may never see him again. So now I try to do pacifist runs in games where the humans can be avoided but otherwise it's no big.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Pffft... No, it's a fucking game. I can't even equate shooting enemies to reality.
I can't equate sucking ghosts into a vacuum to reality. Still sympathize because of the animation.

in Borderlands u don't kill a bandit and say that was someone's son do you
It really isn't that deep. We're not sitting there crying, just a simple, "okay, I feel a little bad for that". It's okay to feel things playing games.

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018
Sometimes I reflect on exploding Bighorner calves in New Vegas, typically it's when I reach the end of a herd and look back at the carnage. I'll think "I still got it" and feel bad because the massacre was over so quickly.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I love killing nazis in Wolfenstein.
In general, I try not killing people when the game gives me the option.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Often times. Almost every time it's an animal.

But even with people too at some point, it's just ridiculous. Doesn't stop me from playing but it is just a bit of an eye roller at some point.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In the original Deus Ex I felt bad killing the NSF after learning they were really the good guys

Oct 27, 2017
It really isn't that deep. We're not sitting there crying, just a simple, "okay, I feel a little bad for that". It's okay to feel things playing games.
Yeah, some of these "ITS JUST A GAME WTF" responses are a bit much. I think we all know it's "not real," lol. It's completely human and normal to feel bad for something when it gets hurt or dies, even if it's fiction (movies? tv shows?).

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All depends on the context but usually no, if I'm not given another way of handling things then that's how our encounter I'd gonna go

However there are games where the writing does a good job making you feel like bad about it. Mgs, undertale, spec ops, ect.

However the original nier was the only game that made me literally sick, I came close to throwing up even though the story was fictional. Nier automata does alot right with this but new game plus in nier 1 was horrific (but I also know my avatar probably invalidates my claim lol)

Normal play through revealed you were killing people trying to heal after a war due to some lore that is too long to explain.

New game plus they add subtitles to the monsters you've been fighting, you're literally slaughtering innocent lives including children and at one point babies. Theres more subtext going on of course but it was handled powerfully because you didnt think anything of it before that reveal. Power trips were recontextualized, it was effective

Last edited:

SpiritSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
Do the enemies in Call of Duty feel bad for me after they shoot and kill me and continue to shoot my lifeless body?

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Well not really, since they are all virtual, but the white fosfor mission in Spec Ops was pretty shocking.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you naturally feel that way I would find it unhealthy to play games that require you to kill.

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Red Dead Redemption 2 made me feel like trash for hurting NPCs. I've stopped after hurting one or two, when I could see the reactions or consequences.

The Last of Us Part II is on its way to do just that as well.

And of course, the Boss in MGS3, and Sif in Dark Souls.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't play Monster Hunter World, because of the animals limping away when heavily damaged.
I see a lot of friends heavily invested on the game, but i just didn't wanted to continue.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there a game where you can grab and punch enemy dogs in the face?

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
Sometimes with animals. Especially in WoW as the visuals improved and all the animal life turned into adorable cartoons.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dogs. I always feel bad about killing dogs in a video game. Even the robot zombie Nazi dogs. They were just trained by evil folks, it isn't their fault.

I want to design a game like Visceral Cleanup except for adopting and retraining 'bad' dogs from enemies in games.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_p8y592NK1W1re8on1o1_400.png

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
The colossi in SOTC because half game it was becoming obvious i was not exactly the hero .
Maiden astrea, Sif..
Also all goombas do is walk forward, they don't even care about me, yet i stomp them...

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I'm playing Baldur's gate 2 at the moment, and I ran into a couple of orcs in a room within a dungeon. Both of them were scared of me and tried to talk me out of killing them, as the dungeon had plenty of evil creatures I had previously killed already.

I was about to let them go... the first one said he's good and promised not to kill anyone anymore (heavily implying he had done plenty of killing before, but it sounded like he might've been forced to it so I was thinking to let it slide) but then the dumbass said something like "well at least not by profession.. maybe as a hobby..". Nah dude, I'm sorry, I would've liked to give you a new chance, but you blew it. He didn't have a weapon on and was already trying to walk out at that point so me killing him came as a surprise to him. While It did still make me think about whether I was correct about it, it was a pretty clear solution to be honest. If I had had a choice to put him behind bars and have him brainwashed (or at least tried it) to be a good orc, I would've preferred that, but no can do.

The second one was a bit more complicated. He wanted to give me some advice in exchange for sparing his life. That advice was slightly helpful (regarding an enemy I hadn't yet faced in the dungeon) and I was thinking of letting him go and told him that. He started walking to the door, without weapons too. But then I started to think about the other orc and about their nature, and while I would like to believe there are good orcs out there, I couldn't really have it on my conscience if the orc went on to kill people in the future. And it was pretty likely, so I struck him down.

This is kind of partly what I think my character to think but also partly how I myself feel as I immerse myself in the game. Obviously my feelings towards the characters in the game isn't nearly in the same level as towards people in the real world, but the empathy is there still.

Some of the responses here really are pretty silly. Like:

Yes I feel bad for killing lines of code who thinks of this
No, because they aren't real.

Come on, really?
(Hippopuncher12 I saw your later post and that's fair enough, but still that first post. Smh.)

I would care if video games gave me a reason to. Bad guys just run and shoot you, that's it.
Plenty of games out there that aren't quite so simple.