• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking hate killing dogs. It can really bum me out. Oh, and everything in the Monster Hunter games. Those games make me feel like a bastard. I guess killing most animals bums me out.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Come on, really?
(Hippopuncher12 I saw your later post and that's fair enough, but still that first post. Smh.)

In my defense I planned on adding the other part as an edit but I had to walk away from my desk for a few minutes. I also forgot to put that although I don't care about killing whatever in a game, I also don't go out of my way to do it if I don't have to. I don't go around killing people in GTA because I can, that is dumb to me. I won't kill an animal in a game unless it serves a purpose (crafting, cooking, etc.) I don't do that because I feel bad though, I just don't think it makes sense or serves any purpose to kill random things all willy-nilly.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, some of these "ITS JUST A GAME WTF" responses are a bit much. I think we all know it's "not real," lol. It's completely human and normal to feel bad for something when it gets hurt or dies, even if it's fiction (movies? tv shows?).

Some of these people are straight up offended that someone could imply that you could feel things while playing games. I wonder how they feel about literature? I mean, books are just words, but have been moving people to tears for hundreds of years.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
The first African mission in MGS:V I had killed three militants before realizing they were child Soldiers.

That was fucked up Kojima...

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Nah. Unless it's something meant to make you feel that way like the ending in TLOU.

Killing enemies is the point of a lot of games and I find it cathartic. Same with movies like John Wick.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_ol89m2Iw6F1spkic4o4_500.gif

Sabortin

Oct 28, 2017
I don't like killing dogs in games. The worst was in TWD season 2 :[

Other than dogs, I'm not usually bothered by it.

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
I haven't played Monster Hunter World, but scenes of monsters suffering get to me. I was hesitant to kill animals in Horizon Zero Dawn initially, but within hours I was killing everything that moved for resources.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Only if they are helpless
I had no problem crushing army's in AoE, but chasing those villagers until I find the very last one of then made me feel pity. Specially when they try to fight back with bones.

Karthane

Mar 20, 2018
Depends on the context. There are definitely times in choice based game (TWD) where I feel bad that I save someone over someone else. Also, when the monsters start limping in MHW I feel a bit guilty.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
No. Video games aren't real and the way shooting people is often represented doesn't have the same association to me as real life shootings or wars do.

In a videogame's own reality shooting just feels less "cruel" and that's not scary or concerning. It's just games being games imo. Doesn't mean I don't get sick of doing it though. Give us something else.

Jun 10, 2019
I don't.

It's like that scene in Clerks. The scene where they're discussing blowing up the death star and morality of it. One of the characters in the movie compared it to working for a mafia boss.

If you're working for a villain or someone who's known to be evil and untrustworthy then it's your fault. You can't sleep with dogs and be surprised when you get fleas.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
Not by I cringe everytime a game tries to portray an enemy as an irredeemable bad guy, just by calling it a thug, scavenger, bandit, terrorist, then just asking me to kill it.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, I'll kill everything. Men, women, dogs, cats, whatever.

I was killing Newts in days gone yesterday (infected children) and my wife was all "Ooh, that's a bit unpleasant killing children" I said they're infected children, I'm doing them a favour? Surely dead is better than living as a zombie on a roof. I go out of my way to kill newts, I like to roleplay that I'm heroically putting the poor kids out of their misery.

archreaper93

Oct 27, 2017
Never. They aren't real people/ creatures. They're just pixels. Things. I couldn't give less of a shit what happens to them.

I mean I don't go out of my way to kill things in game that don't try to kill me (unless they have drop/loot that I want/need), but I feel nothing when I kill them. And if I do try to avoid killing things, it's because doing so is to my benefit (killing shopkeepers in Fromsoft games means I can't buy their items), not because I feel bad.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
If they're crawling on the ground and stuff then yeah.

In Metal Gear Rising you can chop off all of a cyborg enemy's limbs and he'll still flop around and try to headbutt you. This is first and foremost hilarious, but after that it's pitiable. I just want to pat those spunky guys on the head and take them to get fixed up. I don't like to kill them.

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I dont like killing civilians, animals/creatures and enemies that surrendered. Though the letter depends on the enemy.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Games rarely make you feel bad about killing enemies and the ones that do, tend to do a poor job with it so you can easily compartmentalize it.

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
The end of TLOU was the only time I actually went, "No I really don't wanna do this" when it came to the doctor and had no choice and was actually shaking my head at having to do so

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes, yes. Some enemies/bosses in From games, the colossi in SotC, enemies in Undertale.

I also make a point to try to be nonlethal to enemies who I don't think deserve it in games like Deus Ex and Dishonored.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
In The Witcher 3, I killed a character that Geralt had just slept with the night before. The dialogue choices I made led to a fight that I was not expecting (i.e. "that_escalated_quickly.gif") and I felt really bad about that happening. Needless to say I was a bit more careful the rest of the game.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
In games with a choice like Skyrim or GTA, sometimes. Killing good NPC's feels gross for some reason.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The
Sasquatches
in RDR: Undead Nightmare. But then the game makes you feel awful for doing that, so in that sense it was designed that way, which I thought was really good.