• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Apr 11, 2018
Australia
Lately all the time (and pretty much only in one game)! I personally can't wait for games to advance to a place where almost every enemy can be defeated using non lethal means if you're capable enough.

The thing that made me realise this was playing red dead 2 recently. I'm a bad guy in that game and I'm shooting police and law men. I felt bad killing those people, I mean some of them are just down and out dudes trying to make a living and they got popped in the head by some crazy gunmen running through a town blasting people.

It's funny I never really thought about it until I played red dead. Run and gun all the time and not Care, I think it's got something to do with the realism and detail that games can capture these days.

At some point I believe society is going to have to re look at violence in games. It's always been ok because it's just a game, it's just ones and zeros when it comes down to it but as games become more and more real the violence becomes more and more confronting and more precisely simulated. I love Violence and gore in games, and maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety but I feel like MK11 takes things to far and I could not ever imagine myself saying something like that when I was younger.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
In most games not really. The ones that have "developed" enemies are usually ones that let me hack around it by stealth/hacking/speechmaking.

The closest thing I can think of is that I used to feel bad for beating up R. Mika in Street Fighter V bc when you hit her she actively says "It hurts!"

But that went away bc she's an annoying character >:(

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I think the first game to make me care might be Watch Dogs Legion since every character you kill is a potential recruit.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
No but I sometimes feel bad for killing real people in Destiny multiplayer.

First off I know how uniquely frustrating multiplayer against humans can be. Going back to street fighter 2. People would get so mad losing in the arcades in SF2. I remember once this big kid trying to intimidate me cus I kept beating him. The more he lost the harder he'd slam his fists on the machine in anger. And I lose plenty so I know....

So if I'm having a good game and just dominating people in Destiny crucible, sometimes I feel bad. Some of those people could even be handicapped (mentally or physically) in some way. You dont know. They could be having a really bad day, and you are just beating them down.

One time in D1 I was playing rumble and I kept matching up with this particular girl (she had mz in her GT). I'm not good, but I was dominating these lobbies. I was killing her over and over, directly in 1v1 after 1v1 (I wasn't seeking her out mind you, just happened that way). I started to feel weirdly bad about it. I googled her GT, found her twitter account, she was a middle aged lady who had quite a few tweets mixed in about being depressed, things like if I dont talk to you today hope you understand, etc (I know it was her because she had tweets about Destiny too).

Yeah, really weird huh? I FELT like this person I was shooting in the game was going through something, as i killed her over and over in game, and sure enough she was.

*shrug*. Well, nothing came of it beyond that. And I haven't felt those sad feelings for my opponents in a while...

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Started Paper Mario The Origami King tonight. I really didn't want to kill that first Goomba. He was very nice to me before he got transformed. :(

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
For some reason I always felt bad for the Blackwatch dudes in Prototype. You pick them up and they're like "You're just bringing my boot to ball level!" and I'm like gosh darn it.

It lasts for like a zeptosecond but still.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Depends.

Deus Ex, after the early game plot-twist? HELL NO, anyone who gets in my way after that point is a vile piece of shit who knew what they signed up for and is paying the price for it. I play that shit in Sephiroth-Mode once I get the Dragon's Tooth. Paint the Room Red until every last Fascist is dead.

In other games, I'm largely just indifferent though, nothing personal.

...But god-damn do I revel in passing down the righteous law in Deus Ex. Some of the most genuinely fucking evil villains and henchmen in a game ever who are overdue to get what they deserve. I don't think I've seen a game since with villains that truly match the depths of depravity that Bob Page and Walton Simons go to. Not even the two prequels, but they do at least enhance things for the original game through what details they add.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Despite NPCs pleading for their lives in TLOU2, I never felt bad about killing them. Especially after they shot 50 bullets at me 5 seconds prior.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If they are bad guys I'll do it usually no problem. If they are innocents like random civilians or random non agressive wildlife I straight up refuse to do it unless I literally can't progress without it

frankenstrat

Oct 27, 2017
MGSV mostly. In games that feature tons of nonlethal options and don't present adversaries as cartoonish baddies it generally feels a bit better to do nonlethal.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I hate killing animals in games. Even hunting the crazy mutated animals in Far Cry New Dawn. I feel bad for them.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Nah video games have conditioned me to not feel anything. lol Though, i don't go out of my way to kill animals or regular civilians unless they get in my way.

Last edited:

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Generally not really, but I try to avoid the cutey ones like Waddle Dee or even harmless ones like the Zombie Pigs in Minecraft. Like if they are attacking me then they are going down, but otherwise I rather not if I have to.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
No and not animals either.

I abhor violence in real life but these are and never have been real

The sort of person who feels bad killing polygons is the same person who hates an actor because they played an evil character in a film.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Hunting rifle kills in TLOU2 are the closest I've come.

Amputating someone from 30 feet away whilst they bleed out, screaming. Yeah.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Video games condition you to not feel bad by presenting morally repugnant enemies.

Even games attempting to deconstruct violence like TLOU2 still provide you with relatively villanous enemies (zombies, scars and WLF) so you don't feel too bad.

And also people tend to lose empathy when the enemy attacks them. I felt really bad the first time I killed a dog in TLOU2. Or its owner. Really bad. Then I stopped feeling bad the first time one killed me. From that point on the four legged little fuckers always died first.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
the only enemy i ever felt a bit bad about killing was Sif in Dark Souls; most bosses you attack are bearly phased and then when they reach zero health the just die and dissolve. With Sif you can clearly see him acting more and more injured as the battle goes on until he died...I was just like "come on man, just let me pass!"

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All the time. Doesn't stop me from playing, but there's a reason I have a bad opinion of Nathan Drake.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I get the feeling BEFORE I actually play the game. Like before playing TLOU2 I thought about how killing the dogs would be tough. But then those assholes made hiding more difficult and I had no trouble killing them 😁

DiortemX

Nov 28, 2017
I don't like killing certain animals in games, such as the wolves in Breath of the Wild. I wish they didn't attack you. :(

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Nope.

Unless the game's story intends you to feel bad, I guess.

TheTruth

Jul 23, 2018
I don't like how most of the games with crafting, etc. treat animals just as livestock. I hate killing them.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Nope.

I can get annoyed at a game where I kill a thousand dudes and then my character is portreyed as a wise cracking happy go lucky everyman just trying to make it in this knockabout world though.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Most games barely manage to make me care for the MC, I don't mind slaughtering nameless villains.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
I hate killing people in games and do all I can to avoid it.

I really enjoyed how Deus Ex: Human Revolution awarded a trophy for not killing anyone; I hadn't known it was coming and it was immensely satisfying to get it.

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they're dogs. Yeah :-/

If every game were to offer $10 DLC where instead of killing a dog you hugged it and convinced it to give up a life of violence, I'd be broke.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
Playing Total War: Three Kingdoms I captured and executed Guan Yu and Liu Bei and that really hurt my Dynasty Warriors loving heart.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
All the time honestly.
If they're animals, if they're docile monsters, if they're cute weak monsters.

It took me weeks to kill a turtle for the shell in the forest.

Heck, I even feel bad for attacking Tea's Shining Friendship in Duel Links.

I rarely feel bad about killing people in video games, though I would probably feel bad if you had to kill a child in any game.