• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sitting here after just getting to my desk for the day and I feel an immense amount of, "fuuuuuuck I don't want to do anything". I just feel like such an afterthought that I could literally sit here all day and do nothing and get away with it. But I'm in an open office and so I can't get away with it that easy.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I work from home but the feeling is the same. I try to realize that agonizing over how much I hate the work is costing me a lot more effort than you know, actually doing the work. Doesn't always work and it doesn't make the tasks any more fun to do... it's a process I guess.

Oct 30, 2017
It's reaaaallllyyyy slow for me right now. I'm trying to enjoy it because it will inevitably swing the other way.

I've been doing sudoku puzzles in my spare time to keep my brain energized. I hate brain fogs. Just makes me lethargic.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I've felt that. More typically, it was stomach-hurting, "I'm in way over my head" type of feeling.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Sure. It's normal, you're human. If it happens often there might be a problem you'll want to do some self reflection over, but it happening on occasion is nothing abnormal.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
I get it alot of the time being a designer, it's hard to constantly work. Music and quickly taking a break helps me.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Every. Single. Day.

It's been an apathetic feeling that's dominated my life yet every doctor I've had seems to think it's not something like ADD. It's among the greatest personal challenges I think I have in my life at the moment.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
Every. Single. Day.

It's been an apathetic feeling that's dominated my life yet every doctor I've had seems to think it's not something like ADD. It's among the greatest personal challenges I think I have in my life at the moment.
I have ADHD and am currently in-between medicine. It really messes everything up. Sometimes I cannot get myself to do anything no matter how hard I try. And that's just the tip of the iceberg with my mental health issues.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Not really, but I get a short rush of hate for every customer that walks in the door. They always make so much noise and it disturbs me. I really don't mind the work or anything, but I hate having peace and quiet disturbed. It's part of why I hardly use a phone, I'd go fucking nuts if everyone was constantly sending messages and such.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have ADHD and am currently in-between medicine. It really messes everything up. Sometimes I cannot get myself to do anything no matter how hard I try. And that's just the tip of the iceberg with my mental health issues.
I suffered from extreme depression and anxiety when I was in middle school and high school, my parents genuinely cared about me but were never emotionally intelligent enough to recognize what I was going through and get me therapy. That was the beginning of my "brain fog" moments. Every doctor I've mentioned it to has attributed the fog to my depression at the time - which sounds reasonable. You sound like you may be in a similar boat even now as evidenced by how you feel during medication lapses.

The problem is, I'm much older now and genuinely extremely happy and optimistic. I can't even recall the last time I had sustained depressive thoughts, and yet the brain fog persists. That signals to me that there's some detail I'm missing.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
Thats what coffee is for
Every day. What makes it worse is I don't drink coffee.
Coffee makes my adhd go crazy, but I love it so much. I really should limit my caffeine intake but I truly think coffee is one of my favorite things in the world.

I suffered from extreme depression and anxiety when I was in middle school and high school, my parents genuinely cared about me but were never emotionally intelligent enough to recognize what I was going through and get me therapy. That was the beginning of my "brain fog" moments. Every doctor I've mentioned it to has attributed the fog to my depression at the time - which sounds reasonable. You sound like you may be in a similar boat even now as evidenced by how you feel during medication lapses.

The problem is, I'm much older now and genuinely extremely happy and optimistic. I can't even recall the last time I had sustained depressive thoughts, and yet the brain fog persists. That signals to me that there's some detail I'm missing.
I definitely think that's a link. I have severe anxiety and depression too, and just left a therapist because we didn't really connect. So I'm trying to find another one. It's making things waaaaaaay harder. It feels like every time I find a medication there's a huge caveat.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah. Mostly right now because it's so damn slow right now and it's just really boring small tasks right now. So I've just been reading and did a huge re-organization of all my files. In a way it actually benefited me, I'm so organized now lol

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Every day. The work is slow, the day is long, and there's no privacy in the cubicle layout. You can't slack off because everyone is watching. Ugh.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Totally feel you. I get frustrated sometimes at sales meetings when people report big sales and everyone gets pumped and excited. We aren't commission based and I'm always just sitting there thinking, "Who the hell cares? We're not seeing a dime of those sales."

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No I love my mornings at work. Mash in, sip coffee. Mill in, sip coffee. Talk to co-workers and prevent them from doing their work, sip coffee.

EOS-HDC

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tijuana, B.C, Mexico
Hey job if you're reading this, I'm with you just for the money. Fuck you.

On topic, the first thing I do is go get some coffee and I really enjoy it on the mornings of work. After lunch though that's when I feel like a slog to get to the end of the day.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Depends. I like what I do, but my project sort of ended a couple months ago, so what little work comes across my desk feels like busywork and isn't mentally engaging. I come in not wanting to do anything because I know any work I get takes zero effort. Lately I've been coming in, jump on ERA, and bounce between studying for a certification and looking for jobs.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
Every. Single. Day.

It's my awesome cocktail of exhaustion, depression and general over-it-ness all resting like sediment at the bottom of my brain.

Coffee helps.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a study that most productivity is between like 9 and 11 every morning? I've also noticed a burst from 3-5 when people go "oh shit, I haven't gotten anything done today or what I needed to do".

That 8-9 hour is usually chit chat and waiting for coffee to kick in from my observations.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
If people are feeling this way... it can in some cases be the start of burnout and fatigue.

I used to say things to people like "oh, I feel burned out a bit" and then I experience a deep, deep phase of burnout that was physically and mentally like anything I had experienced before - and it made me realize when I thought I was burned out, it wasn't really the case.

For me, the final descent started as that foggy headedness, and just general malaise - and then it got worse from there. It's such a hard feeling to describe, beyond just general exhaustion and mental fatigue and a feeling of "I just don't care..."

Make sure you are listening to your body and mind... take care of yourself and try to recognize it early.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
If people are feeling this way... it can in some cases be the start of burnout and fatigue.

I used to say things to people like "oh, I feel burned out a bit" and then I experience a deep, deep phase of burnout that was physically and mentally like anything I had experienced before - and it made me realize when I thought I was burned out, it wasn't really the case.

For me, the final descent started as that foggy headedness, and just general malaise - and then it got worse from there. It's such a hard feeling to describe, beyond just general exhaustion and mental fatigue and a feeling of "I just don't care..."

Make sure you are listening to your body and mind... take care of yourself and try to recognize it early.
I feel like I don't deserve to say it's burnout, because I haven't been overworked or super stressed... but maybe it is. Can burnout happen even if it's not from overwhelming stress?

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I feel like I don't deserve to say it's burnout, because I haven't been overworked or super stressed... but maybe it is. Can burnout happen even if it's not from overwhelming stress?
Absolutely - mine was frankly consistent, but latent stress - it was just there humming in the background.

Extended periods of time are how you get actually burned out - and everyone's reaction can be quite different, but mine was from a consistent level of stress and frustration for a few years, coupled with an awareness that my work tasks were cyclical, and I found myself doing the same thing a few years in a row - made me feel growth wasn't occurring, I was being taken advantage of at work because I would put my head down and do the work without a lot of questioning... all of that led to me just feeling exhausted, a body exhaustion that I couldn't shake - a long weekend didn't make it better, a week off didn't make it better. I made a few radical changes with work life balance, speaking up, taking on new things, and resting my body and mind... and I don't think I'm out of it yet, just more aware of it.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I used to when I worked at retail and call centers years ago but it was a sign of not liking the job more than anything - also was super stressed and would sweat a lot due to being nervous or stressed out

After getting into IT industry - haven't had that issue thankfully.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel that all the time when I have no deadlines or pressure to push me to do anything. When I get super busy with tons of pressure, I actually do feel more motivated...

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
yeah i feel like i pretty much black out at work lol. i'll feel like shit and then look up and it's time to leave

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
I feel that all the time when I have no deadlines or pressure to push me to do anything. When I get super busy with tons of pressure, I actually do feel more motivated...
That is 100% how I work. When I'm not given feedback on a project or work that is straightforward with a deadline, then I get very distracted and can't work.

Pelao

Banned
Jan 7, 2020
Chile
I work from home, I set myself a daily goal and shut down my computer the instant I accomplish said goal. I tend to work faster than the rest of my team, I'm usually done by lunch.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
It's reaaaallllyyyy slow for me right now. I'm trying to enjoy it because it will inevitably swing the other way.

I've been doing sudoku puzzles in my spare time to keep my brain energized. I hate brain fogs. Just makes me lethargic.

This is pretty much where I am right now at work too. It is extremely dead so keeping sane is the goal of the day. Hence my far-too-many shitposts on Twitter. If only I could smuggle my Switch in, I'd be perfectly happy.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I'm sitting here after just getting to my desk for the day and I feel an immense amount of, "fuuuuuuck I don't want to do anything". I just feel like such an afterthought that I could literally sit here all day and do nothing and get away with it. But I'm in an open office and so I can't get away with it that easy.

Only every single day.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Usually it takes a few hours after I've arrived, but the brain fog does usually come.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
I'm nearly always checked out for part of the day at work. I could probably work 30 hours a week and be just as productive, if not more so.