• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Simple topic really, it's about that time of year when they're around. Do they excite you anymore? Do the rides/fried food turn you off? Is it just a thing you go to with your kids now? I wanna hear all about the fairs in your area.

The fair is basically our city's identitiy, and try as I might, I find less and less reasons to go each year. I've only a passing intrest in the rodeos/Chuckwagons, the vendors are the same year after year, rides/games are the same each time as well. The only thing thats appealing are the bars/pubs around the area which get into the spirit, but even that's losing it's luster.

But since the city's had the fair for over 100 years, it probably wont stop any time soon. Especially since they had a Stranger Things collab this year. But how does your city/county/state do things, fair wise?

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I've been to the Texas State Fair. Fun time for the kids and some great food. It's a fun time.

I've also been to the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo's cookoff. Unless you get tickets to a rockin' tent, avoid it like the plague. Horrible crowds, nightmarish parking, overflowing port-o-potties (yes, they were overflowing. All of them).

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
My state has a few different fairs a year. There's two that are really big that people travel to attend. I've been to each of them once but I can't say I got much out of the experience. Ours is very geared towards farming and livestock and unless you want to leave with a bunch of chickens (which you very well may) you're really just visiting a craft fair with more mud.

I do go to smaller yearly events and fairs but the big ones around here are mostly for farmers.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
We have like 5 fairs going at any given time during the summer. I usually swoop in, get my long exposures and drone shots and then bounce.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I used to go every year when I was younger, but it just never appealed to me when I got older as theme parks tend to have similar games and rides just a lot better.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I try to hit the county fair every year for a night. My kids love the carnival rides and I love the food and ambiance that takes me back to my youth.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've never missed a year going to the Minnesota State Fair. Parents took me as a baby. I love it. Occasionally I will volunteer to work a booth for work just so I can go more.

It's all about the food, special craft beer releases (starting to become a bigger deal than the food imo), and people watching.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Used to go regularly as a kid. My wife has taken my kids multiple times, I've only been to a couple since they were born.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Texas State Fair is pretty fun just for the ungodly fried creations. Other than that I don't really go to the other sections

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ventura County Fair is usually fun for a couple hours of overpriced eats and drinks. Skip the rides. Let the kiddos pet some animals and we're out.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
No, my parents never trusted places like that unfortunately. Closest was going to Dollywood since one area of the park's a glorified county fair experience. IIRC it was where the bumper car ride was located.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
We didn't go to the Washington State Fair last year, but we did the year before. My wife loves fairs/carnivals; she spent a summer after high school travelling with one and working one of the rides, and has a lot of affection for the whole thing.

Loved it as a kid. Sucks when you get older and notice how gross everything is.

That's a key part of the atmosphere. :)

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts doesn't really have "state fairs" like you see in the midwest or south. There might be some small potatoes county fairs but it's nothing like the midwest. I was in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota during fair season about 10 years ago and was blown away about how you all go all out and it looked fun.

We've got two things that are kinda similar but not the same. There's this trashy, but fun, expo out near Springfield every year called "The Big E," it's like the mother of all carnivals and it's a New England exposition. It's 100% trash but so trash it's kinda fun. I haven't been in like... maybe close to a decade but used to have a good time wheneevr I went despite how trashy it is. They used to have a World's Biggest Lamb Butter, which I think was in the New Hampshire exhibit.

Then, there's a giant flea market in central/western Mass in a small town called Brimfield (about ... half way between Worcester and SPringfield, or half way between Boston and New York State). If "New England's Largest Flea MArket" is something that sounds attractive to you, then well this is for you. It's, similarly, trashy but if you're into just miles and miles of antique shit then it's worth it. You can actually find a lot of cool antique stuff there, but you have to sift through acres of 'little black sambo' miniatures... for some reason those still generate a lot of interest. The crowd is a mix of ... ecclectic hipsters, naturalists, hippies, and die hard Trump supporters. Kind of a strange mix... Plus side is that Brimfield is pretty close to nationally great breweries these days.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I've never missed a year going to the Minnesota State Fair. Parents took me as a baby. I love it. Occasionally I will volunteer to work a booth for work just so I can go more.

It's all about the food, special craft beer releases (starting to become a bigger deal than the food imo), and people watching.

My job has a booth so I'll be there almost every day this year! Come by!

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We have the Bath & West Show for the county, the Frome Cheese Show in my town featuring international cheese awards and another village show. I'm entering the photography competition for the Frome show and the kids are entering several competitions. On the day it's a mix of cider, equestrian events, farm animals, music and cheese. Been to the county one already and it was great. I fucking love them.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I went a lot through my childhood, but not so often nowadays. I did go recently in the spring.

The Washington State fair is alright.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went a lot through my childhood, but not so often nowadays. I did go recently in the spring.

The Washington State fair is alright.
Just moved here but I actually heard fun things about the Oregon one which is... weird looking. In a good way. Looks like something out of a music festival.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I try to. Topsfield Fair is awesome.

Then, there's a giant flea market in central/western Mass in a small town called Brimfield (about ... half way between Worcester and SPringfield, or half way between Boston and New York State). If "New England's Largest Flea MArket" is something that sounds attractive to you, then well this is for you. It's, similarly, trashy but if you're into just miles and miles of antique shit then it's worth it. You can actually find a lot of cool antique stuff there, but you have to sift through acres of 'little black sambo' miniatures... for some reason those still generate a lot of interest. The crowd is a mix of ... ecclectic hipsters, naturalists, hippies, and die hard Trump supporters. Kind of a strange mix... Plus side is that Brimfield is pretty close to nationally great breweries these days.

I wasn't aware this is existed. Thank you for sharing.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Growing up in a small town, the travelling fair was always the highlight of back to school, since it always started on the other end of Labor Day when everyone was starting school. New year of school sucks? Hey the fair is in town! It was always tiny with some rides, small midway, small food fair, and a bunch of competitions and livestock/petting zoo. Great as a kid!

....then I moved and the regional fair here pales in comparison. It's huuuuuuuuge!! Fun to walk around and look, but I only go maybe every 2 years. It's also on a horsetrack, so more stuff to see. It also took me a while to learn what a "funnel cake" was.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I go to the California State Fair every year with my brother and dad. Its a tradition for us. We mostly just walk around, try some food, look at the animals and farm area, and check out the arts/crafts exhibits. No rides or carnival games or anything. It is a lot of fun though.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I've never been to my local one but I went to the fair near where my mom lives in upstate New York back when I was like 7 or 8 years old. I think it was a county fair, might've been city, but I don't remember.

What I do remember though is I got to have funnel cake and I touched an alpaca.

Then we stopped by Tim Hortons on the way home.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Haven't been to one in years, but growing up my parents would take us to all the local fairs and carnivals. Never been to the state fair, but we would drive by it when visiting family friends. Always seemed smaller than some of the local county fairs.

Ugh our county fair was the worst because, for awhile there, my family would participate. Whether it was flower growing, photography, or soap box derby. It would tie up entire weeks.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
When I was growing up I would love going to them every year, but it's been a long time since I have.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We go pretty nuts for the MN State Fair so yeah I go most years.

It's pretty cheap actually as far as just the ticket and you can bring in your own food (and beer if you're sneaky) and it's cool to check out all the stuff.

Last edited:

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. Theyre kind of for ages 5-17 and 50+, imo. Id rather the local ren faire than the county stuff or like, summerfest (big music fair)

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
We've got the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto, which is like a big city state fair kinda thing. It's been running at the end of August since 1879.

I didn't go all that often when I was younger, Canada's Wonderland had stolen its thunder, but I've gone almost every year since I met my wife. It's a nice day out, and easy to get to by transit.

Dec 24, 2017
I like them. I go to other states' fairs too.

I like the Wisconsin State Fair in Milwaukee, even though I always see really overt neo-Nazi's there every single time I've gone.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I work for the county, so it's kind of mandatory to go. Well it depends on who your boss is, but my current puts a lot of emphasis on participating.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. It's all the way across the state. Hell, work barely affords me the schedules necessary to go to any festivals or fairs in town.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
We've got the Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto, which is like a big city state fair kinda thing. It's been running at the end of August since 1879.

I didn't go all that often when I was younger, Canada's Wonderland had stolen its thunder, but I've gone almost every year since I met my wife. It's a nice day out, and easy to get to by transit.
yep, not a complete summer without CNE at least once. hopefully their labor issues are settled this year.

2013_SkyRide_Midway_Scooter.ce9edee6.jpg

back in the day as a kid having ontario place/cne open right across from each other was the best.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yup. Every year we go 2-3 times. It lasts the entire month, it's one of the largest in the country in terms of how many people come. It's called the Washington State Fair, but most people just call it the Puyallup fair

Local school districts used to have half days so kids could go to the fair

Feb 16, 2018
Yeah I go to the Minnesota State Fair most years, got to try all the different food and get a stupid amount of Sweet Martha's cookies.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Washington has a pretty good one.

Regional specialties include hot fresh scones, and a 'fair burger' which has a bunch of grilled onion on it.

They get some pretty decent musical acts