• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally have time to play my Steam backlog.

But seriously ill probably be looking for a fridge box to sleep in.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Plan is to travel, read, find a non-profit to volunteer at, play a lot of video games and spend time with my family. Planning to retire in around 25 years, on track to hit that mark but we'll see what happens lol.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Travel. We're only alive once and I want to see as much of planet earth as possible. When I'm retired, I'll have plenty of time (fingers crossed money as well) to do that.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
It crosses my mind ocassionaly and I'm still decades away from it.

I was thinking how it's crazy to think that my Grandpa spent over half his life not working.
Assuming he got a job at 16. Retired at 55 and died at 92. That's 39 years of working and 53 years not working!

I think it sucks though to retire at 55-60. Some people don't even get to live to see retirement. While others develop heath isssues in the meantime. Which possibly limits what they can do.

Also, retiring for quite a few people means less stimulation, not just physically but socially/mentally. I'd be afraid of complacency. Plus, it depends on if I'm married/have kids, etc.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna retire in the Philippines. Dollar goes a long way there.

Plus they like Americans.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
Do you still live in the same place you always had? If not, why haven't you decided to move somewhere cheaper, and warmer (if thats your thing)?

Yes, I paid off my home before I retired and never felt a desire to move, partly to stay close to family, partly because I've always had a tendency toward inertia. And I try to get out and hike a good bit so I like seeing the change of seasons, warm weather all the time would be boring.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
I'm never retiring. The retirement age keeps creeping up, however i have a workplace pension i'm contributing into. So you never know, i might be able to afford to retire one day.

Charlie1701

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a teacher (currently 36) and I'd like to keep working as long as I can. Hopefully at some point I'll be able to go part time in order to spend more time on hobbies, but I love my job and get long holidays which give me time to travel.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
>retirement
>being a mid to late millenial/igen participant.

Pick one.

Seriously, even if the work place becomes kind to us all and automation isn't as pronounced, we still have a massively damaged climate and class struggles to sift through.

Needless to say, i'm not optimistic.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I'm already there.

Mostly life of leisure. I do some volunteer work. I'm watching a ton more TV now. Binge watching old shows and lots of baseball and hockey. I thought I'd be doing the game backlog but gaming isn't that enjoyable anymore. I still fire up the 360 or PS2 on occasion to play some sports games. Music, audiobooks, comics, learning stuff on the internet, this friggin' place once in awhile. All the things I wanted to do but never had the time.
I'm also socializing a lot more and in a pretty decent relationship. Life is good.

Needless to say, retirement is awesome. I spent my life planning to retire early and have no regrets. I could have worked a few more years to have more money to do stuff but I'm extremely happy with my lifestyle now.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
I've already saved a nice sum till now and will keep saving/investing money for retirement. Hopefully, gene therapy makes a huge leap in the next three decade and I can enjoy my life in a healthy body.

I actually plan to work till I die though, I don't think leisure alone would make me happy. Surely I will reduce my work load step by step, depending on the savings.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Nothing.

I would relax... I would sit on my ass all day... I would do nothing.
Me when I was on unemployment back in 2010.

i-did-absolutely-nothing-all-day-and-it-was-everything-i-thought-it-would-be-quote-1.jpg

I want to get back to that.

Lucky Forward

Oct 27, 2017
I'm already there.

Mostly life of leisure. I do some volunteer work. I'm watching a ton more TV now. Binge watching old shows and lots of baseball and hockey. I thought I'd be doing the game backlog but gaming isn't that enjoyable anymore. I still fire up the 360 or PS2 on occasion to play some sports games. Music, audiobooks, comics, learning stuff on the internet, this friggin' place once in awhile. All the things I wanted to do but never had the time.
I'm also socializing a lot more and in a pretty decent relationship. Life is good.

Needless to say, retirement is awesome. I spent my life planning to retire early and have no regrets. I could have worked a few more years to have more money to do stuff but I'm extremely happy with my lifestyle now.

That's great! I took an early-out retirement from the federal government just before I turned 50, after 29 years of service. By going out early I took a permanent 10% reduction in my pension, but I never regretted it and never looked back. I'm living very comfortably on my pension, but I still have a very substantial amount in my TSP (federal 401k) that I won't start drawing from for a few years, so things will only get better.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
That's great! I took an early-out retirement from the federal government just before I turned 50, after 29 years of service. By going out early I took a permanent 10% reduction in my pension, but I never regretted it and never looked back. I'm living very comfortably on my pension, but I still have a very substantial amount in my TSP (federal 401k) that I won't start drawing from for a few years, so things will only get better.
My situation is very similar. I'm retired from the Canadian Forces. I'm in no way rich but the military pension pays the bills and actively trying to stay out of debt all my life allowed for early retirement. Never could have happened without being debt free.

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
It's not about exactly what I would do that's important...

It's more of the fact that I know I can spent my time a lot more freely, and not have obligations to corporate America.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm too young to have any clue. I'm sure my life will drastically change a dozen times before I reach retirement. Assuming I have money, my mind, and I'm healthy - I will probably just live quietly in my home, and set out to read every book I want to read before I die.

A goal I have is to become a PUI professor (who only teaches, no research groups) when I'm older (I could go that path now but I don't want to), if not at a good university then at a community college. I find teaching incredibly boring now but I think it's one of the greatest jobs for the elderly. If your mind is healthy, you can teach well into your late 70s, and that will keep you sharp, social, and happy if you enjoy it.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Game backlog

Gundam kit backlog

Write a terrible song

Travel to out of state anime conventions

Play with swords

Light things on fire/make things explode (in a legal manner)

Wander aimlessly from time to time

Cook more often

Kneecap

Oct 27, 2017
I am retired and my hobby (and science fiction and fantasy books) is my life. Life is good.

Emerald Hawk

Dec 12, 2017
New Jersey
I've had it planned out for a long time. Disgaea.

But lately I've been worried. I've never played Disgaea. What if I don't actually like it? What if I find it grindy and boring?

The older I get the more I think I'll be searching for something more meaningful, like teaching or charity work.

Honestly, I'm lucky enough to have a white collar job that isn't killing me physically, so I'll probably be working part time or freelancing for a long time past the usual retirement age.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
Lots of gaming, lots of volunteering to help the younger generation behind me, and lots and lots of sleep. I won't be one of those old guys who gets up at 5 a.m.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I live life with the expectation that I probably won't be retiring. Best case scenario? I'm proven wrong.

I invest in my 401k, avoid debt, and hope for the best.

Prophaniti

Oct 28, 2017
I want to grow weed. Seems like something perfect for a retired person to do for supplemental income