• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you see AAA game prices going up, down or staying the same next gen?

• I see prices going up

Votes: 40 23.3%
  • I see prices going down

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I think prices will stay right where they are now

Votes: 129 75.0%

• Total voters

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
It seems as we move into next gen there will be a lot of changes to the way many people perceive the value of games as subscription services and streaming services take off. At the same time most AAA games take longer than ever to make, requiring more money. Are you expecting prices to rise to accommodate increased dev costs and maybe even offset revenue lost from games being offered on streaming/subscription services? Do you see prices lowering in a bid to compete with the perceived value brought by streaming/subscription services? Or do you think they'll stay right where they are now?

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think prices are going to stay the same, if they were going to go up they would have already this gen. Publishers are supplementing with GAAS monetization, lootboxes, F2P mechanics, etc to make up the difference.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Stay the same. If publishers thought they could raise the price of games without hurting sales, they would have done it a long time ago.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
status quo of $60 base games and more expensive day 1 versions that come with season passes / random DLC / physical shit thats generally terrible (like steelbooks)

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Stay the same with multiple version on release day

I do expect to see more F2P games though with the success of games like Fortnite and Apex Legends

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Base prices will stay, they already have a bunch of other ways to squeeze money from people outside of that. Raising the base price will just raise the barrier of entry.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's probably the same as this gen:

At launch:
Standard Edition for $59.99
Deluxe Edition(s) with Season Pass and 3 extra days of unavailable servers for $89.99+
Most likely microtransactions/purchasable in-game currency

In case of annual franchises:
Game is added to Xbox Game Pass, Stadia, and other streaming services after 9-10 months

In case of bi-annual franchises:
GOTY Edition = Deluxe Edition for $59.99 after 12 months
Game is added to Xbox Game Pass, Stadia, and other streaming services after 18-21 months

Streaming is a way to market new releases, while still getting some money from redundant products. I mean, who would buy FIFA 14 in 2019? But if it's available on a streaming service, EA still gets some money from it, and it might convince a group of players to actually buy the newest game with the newest teams, modes and features for the full price.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see them going down at all. All I know if we are able to buy licenses to stream games a la carte it shouldn't be priced as much as a digital download or physical copy.

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
I think prices are going to stay the same, if they were going to go up they would have already this gen. Publishers are supplementing with GAAS monetization, lootboxes, F2P mechanics, etc to make up the difference.
...what makes you think they won't just charge you a "new generation tax" just because they can? Especially the likes of EA and ActiBlizz?

They don't care. We're consumer whales, most of us, and they know it.

Edit: Assuming we're talking about traditional retail/physical games, of course.

Monolith

Oct 25, 2017
I already don't buy games at launch. If it were to go up I'd expect more people to follow that.

Oct 25, 2017
I expect to see more nickel and dimeing and expensive versions with extra shit/early access from the big publishers, but I think the standard price will remain $60.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Stay the same but even more microtransactions.

Also the continued practice of discounting main games heavily but never discounting DLC.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
...what makes you think they won't just charge you a "new generation tax" just because they can? Especially the likes of EA and ActiBlizz?

EA is not selling to their expectations at $60, why they would increase that?

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Edit: Assuming we're talking about traditional retail/physical games, of course.

Well we didn't get a "new gen tax" this time, so I doubt we'll get one next time either.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I don't see them going higher. The publishers are very very reticent to go above $60 for whatever reason, but they also are starting to sell more and more games with 4 or more SKUs on launch and offer more and more expensive season passes as time goes on.

Frankly, at this point seeing the prices go up to mitigate some of this crap is a pipe dream since if they think they could safely raise prices I guarantee they wouldn't "give back" meaningful content on launch or lower SP prices, they'd just keep everything the same but jack the price up another $10.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
status quo of $60 base games and more expensive day 1 versions that come with season passes / random DLC / physical shit thats generally terrible (like steelbooks)
That and pay a little extra to get the game early and early access, which oddly enough are 2 different things

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
30 years of $60 games...we are getting games so cheap now compared to before. $60 30 years ago is like $100+ now.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Games go on sale in a second these days. Companies seem happy with the $60 at launch model.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Price will stay the same, with additional opportunities for purchasing additional content.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Mostly stay the same, with increasing tendency toward recurring payments and free to play.

But I think you first need to define "AAA" to have a meaningful discussion about this.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
have you missed Gold Edition/Season Passes/Early Unlock Pass/Season-subscriptions? That's locking in your money early/long-term. That is your new-gen tax hidden in plain sight.
That's additional post-launch content, which you shouldn't be expecting for free. Much of that was also a thing in the PS3 gen, as were plenty of over-priced editions with physical collectibles.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
That's additional post-launch content, which you shouldn't be expecting for free. Much of that was also a thing in the PS3 gen, as were plenty of over-priced editions with physical collectibles.
All of which is built-in now, served up for you along with the announcement so you can preorder the "everything" edition right away. That has gotten turned way up since the early days of post-launch DLC.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The same on paper; more in reality.

I think AAA games will be even more monetized, but stay at $60 base.
I think the more substantial indies will be priced more and more in the $20-$40 range, as opposed to the $10-$20 range now.
And I think subscription services will be more and more touted as an option for console gaming- not just the first parties, but major third parties too.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
why on earth would they go down?!!?!?

lol, unlikely as it is there is the possibility that the introduction of more streaming and subscription services could put pressure on devs to lower the price of their games to compete in such a world. They might then offset some of those losses with DLC, microstransactions or whatever else.