• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tokio Blues

Sep 14, 2018
I highly recommend a film that points out this subject, "The Discovery", it's on Netflix and it's brilliant.

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I try to find some sort of comfort in thinking about death. It's inevitable so why fear the actual end of it. You won't be conscious.

My fear is more about the impact on loved ones, especially if it's prematurely.

Just hope I'm at peace when the time comes.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Just like you don't remember being born, you will not know anything when you die. As for an afterlife, I'm not sure. I've slowly been convinced of reincarnation over the years with no memories of your past life.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Nope. Petrifies me. Though eternal existence also petrifies me. Eternity of any kind is petrifying.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Positive? No. But since there's zero actual evidence of any kind of afterlife, it's the most plausible conclusion right now.

Oct 27, 2017
Some comfort to the worry though, I think we experience the same nothingness when we sleep and aren't dreaming. It's like a computer that isn't powered on.

OP
OP
MasterYoshi

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the biggest driving factor in fear of death is FOMO. I think about that a lot when I hear of someone dying. "Damn, they never got to see Avengers: Endgame." or "Damn, they died before they got to play that game they were so excited for."

I know these are trivial things but one of the greatest pleasures I've had in this life has been the media I am presented with. I absolutely love The Legend of Zelda series. I would be devastated (actually I'd just be dead) if I died before Breath of the Wild 2 came out.

I want to live and see where things GO! I want to see what becomes of VR gaming in 10, 15, 20, 30 years! I want to see what becomes of Nintendo, all of it's franchises, I want to see if they dive hard into films after the Mario movie releases.

On an infinitely more important note, I want to see my kids grow into adults and have families. I feel like I will be so much more at peace with death knowing that my kids are settled and alright, hopefully. That's the biggest thing you think of when people die.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death is not as scary as the idea of time as a finite resource that is getting wasted with every second.

Clear

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I believe I just will no longer exist, just like before I was born. I don't have anxiety about it anymore because I accepted that I can't comprehend non-existence and when I do pass I won't exist so..yeah it won't be a problem.

If I am wrong, I am hoping the afterlife is like the NFL draft and gods from various religions will have a board and pick souls to join their team.....or I'll just pull a bender and make my own afterlife with blackjack and hookers

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If death is nothingness that's terrifying to me.

If there was eternal life that's terrifying to me.

Literally all answers scare the shit out of me including our meaningless in the universe. The only thing that gives me comfort is knowing whatever the fuck it is we all have to do it. It's nothing personal it's just how things have to be

Also to those saying it'll be like before I was born, I have no memory of that time so I'm impressed you all are comfortable with this block of time you have no personal memory of. I'm still freaked out about the time I was put to sleep for surgery.

I'm completely fine in it in a retorical sense but like I can't be comfortable with the concept my mom isn't anywhere right now. I'm not religious either, there's literally no answer that gives me comfort other than I know she's not hurting.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I believe that something like souls is a thing. Everything has a reason to exist. Every form of matter is a component of other matter. These intangible elements we know of as thoughts and feelings must be rooted in some form of basic elements. Whatever that is, while our bodies become dust our minds become that soul essence.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
If death is nothingness that's terrifying to me.

If there was eternal life that's terrifying to me.

Literally all answers scare the shit out of me including our meaningless in the universe. The only thing that gives me comfort is knowing whatever the fuck it is we all have to do it. It's nothing personal it's just how things have to be

Also to those saying it'll be like before I was born, I have no memory of that time so I'm impressed you all are comfortable with this block of time you have no personal memory of. I'm still freaked out about the time I was put to sleep for surgery.

I'm completely fine in it in a retorical sense but like I can't be comfortable with the concept my mom isn't anywhere right now. I'm not religious either, there's literally no answer that gives me comfort other than I know she's not hurting.

We aren't here for nothing though. We're here transform the planet into whatever we do and then be soil food.

It's all good.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Why do I open these threads? Why do I do this to myself? These thoughts make me panic.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We aren't here for nothing though. We're here transform the planet into whatever we do and then be soil food.

It's all good.
Yeah... we are kinda fuckin up the planet last I checked. Idk I just don't have that comfort but I don't think you can give me that comfort either. The only comfort is just that's how things have to go, weather I like it or not we all gotta do it

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
I go where the evidence points, and the evidence supporting the concept of any sort of life after death ranges from nonexistent to pathetically weak.

Frankly, I'm fine with the concept of not existing. I find the idea of life continuing - or worse, eternal existence - to be far more terrifying.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Likely nothingness, which is unimaginable.

I'm concerned more about the bit that come right before. I'd prefer it not be a pain in the ass to get to the nothing.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
oh hell yeah bud, can't fuckin wait
right, can we just wrap this shit up already?
giphy.gif

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine that death is like a dreamless sleep, or a coma or any other experience where there is no conscious awareness. Without a body there can be no sense of things and no frame of reference from which awareness can build. I go to sleep easily every night and have no issue with the void. Not coming back from it causes me apprehension only in so far as I am alive and wish to continue being alive. But the nothing is not a cause for concern when my time here is done.

The process of dying l, or living to see ruin causes me far more dread then my end.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No I'm not really convinced of anything, and often I think rebirth narratives are the most 'intuitive'. Like maybe our active consciousness just disbands itself or reverts back to its primary potencies before the necessary conditions reassemble themselves and consciousness is produced again. That sort of seems to make more sense on the scale of cosmic time and consciousness probably not being as personal or individual as it seems from an egoistic or autobiographical perspective.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's what we all should expect. We won't notice it when were dead of course but it does make it a bit more important to try and make our short-assed life here a nice one.
So, do what gives you pleasure (without ruining the pursuit of happiness of someone else) and focus on people that make your life more worthwhile, whatever that means to you.
Our life is insignificant in the larger picture things but our life can be significant to the people around us and even people we randomly meet.

I do think it's possible that the final moments of dying might feel timeless (until you lose all consciousness and actually are dead). So better have a clear conscience or you'll die having a bad-trip :).

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not bothered by it myself. I don't believe in an afterlife and think it'll just be nothingness, like an endless, dreamless sleep. It neither scares nor comforts me. It'll just happen when it happens.

I am bothered by the idea that I may leave people behind who rely on me for something, though. I'd like to be able to leave things in a way that will make me feel that those people will be fine without me.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Expect nothing, be surprised.

Afterlife is a human concept so who knows, probably nothing but it will a nice rest and relief like finding out you have another hour in bed before getting up for work.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Everything is weird so who knows. I read about a guy who was in a coma for a very short time but in that little time he met a woman that he married and had a kid with. He woke up and lost them. They shared 7 years together. He still mourns that family. Could just be a fucked up brain process or something more.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
An afterlife sounds like a nightmare. Eternity of anything is not something that sounds good to me.

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Not 100 percent positive, but I don't believe any man-made religions are correct about the afterlife. I'm planning on this being it, and if there is more, perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised, though the concept of eternity seems more terrifying than nothingness to be honest.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's important to remember that the building blocks of "you" have always been in this universe and will always continue to. You are the reconstitution of stars and other naturally living creatures here on Earth. Who knows really what parts of you used to be bedrock, dinosaur, plant, or whatever.

This gives me a direct connection and lineage to the universe itself. You may be temporary, but you are a song with a beginning and end. How do you want your song to go? Is it energetic? Is it supportive? That's all up to you.
I love this. It gives me comfort.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
I personally am deluded into thinking into a hereafter. However its moot cause if theres nothing then ultimately it doesn't matter for me personally cause I'll be nothing anyway.

What concerns me more is heat death of the universe and the end of everything with entropy winning in the end. That really spells pointlessness of existence.

Probably why I'm still hoping for the big crunch.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately yes, its scary.

I understand why people created religions. Having a hope of afterlife must be exhilarating.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
not everything has to be a binary state, positive or negative.

There's a state called neutrality...a state of calm, it's neither good nor bad and that's just what death is supposed to be (i think).

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
There is so much, SO MUCH we don't know or understand my position is I am positive mankind has absolutely no idea, not matter what anyone tells you.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If time is non-linear like some scientists propose, then can we really die for good?

I know that religion is bullshit and there is no god, but I can't firmly say I know that death is nothingness either.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We don't stop existing, we just exist differently. We meld with the rest of the organic and inorganic world, as we do while we're alive but in a different form. To me that's beautiful and sacred.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
To add: the atoms that make "you" right now aren't even the same ones you were born with. Consciousness is a literal mind fuck.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I don't know if I'm "positive", but yeah, it's the only thing that makes sense.

I mean, your brain stops functioning when you die. How could you possibly be aware of anything after that?