• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
ive seen what its like for people to slowly lose their mind to dementia
yes death is the end, and even before you die you can become a shell of a person

are people suggesting that a dying mind is slowly funneling their lost consciousness to an eternal vessel somewhere? get the fuck out of here
even if there was part of you that continues to exist, like some kind of undetectable energy, it wouldn't be something that you can call a person.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
When death occurs, you are no longer able to perceive time; just how you did not feel 13 billions years pass before your birth, you will not feel the billions of years to follow.

Knowing this, you will in effect, experience the end of time, instantaneously upon your total death.

I believe that our conscious minds are bound to this time by the order of the universe. Assuming the universe is cyclical, or reaches some kind of end, reason would lead us to believe that the universe would begin again, an infinite number of times, until you are inevitably birthed again, in the same time, bound to the same life, to be repeated for all eternity.

Whatcha think about that??

I think I need another gin and tonic.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I am made of pieces of the earth, and when I die those pieces will return to the trees, and the dirt, and other life.

I try and treat the environment with respect because the environment is made of all that lives on this planet.

You die but you don't really go anywhere, in fact you go to more places than you will have ever gone in your life.

When I die I will help bring life, and that is a joy to me.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When death occurs, you are no longer able to perceive time; just how you did not feel 13 billions years pass before your birth, you will not feel the billions of years to follow.

Knowing this, you will in effect, experience the end of time, instantaneously upon your total death.

I believe that our conscious minds are bound to this time by the order of the universe. Assuming the universe is cyclical, or reaches some kind of end, reason would lead us to believe that the universe would begin again, an infinite number of times, until you are inevitably birthed again, in the same time, bound to the same life, to be repeated for all eternity.

Whatcha think about that??

Gonna find and love the same person again for the 6762229773928 times.

Suck that, universe. (<<<post this shit about 46781121900 times too, suck it hard)

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think of humans like meat computers. Our components are built up of random atoms and stuff, and then our operating system is turned on. Then when we die, our operating system is turned off and all our atoms return to being just regular old random atoms in the universe.

But I wouldn't think too much about existential stuff like this. Whatever happens will be whatever happened to literally every other human being that's ever died, so may as well not worry about it.

Oct 25, 2017
Death is gonna suck. A short burst of terror that luckily won't last too long. Probably. The older I get, the dread is still there, but it's a bit more muted. I think I'm mostly just tired of freaking out about it.

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
It's just nothing. No sense of time either so it can't be that bad. Worse case scenario, due to the infinite amount of space and limited atom configurations, you might randomly come into existence in the middle of an empty void 3 trillions years from now and then nothing again.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Death being "eternal nothingness" is probably the single scariest concept imaginable to me. I can't fathom it, I get the idea behind "it's like before I was born" but before I was born I was eventually born you know. I just can't come to grips with it on a mental level.

I seriously hope some day I have a revelation that will make me suddenly not so scared of dying, because it's something we all have to do no matter what so I really hope my intense fear of it at least simmers a little bit.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death being "eternal nothingness" is probably the single scariest concept imaginable to me. I can't fathom it, I get the idea behind "it's like before I was born" but before I was born I was eventually born you know. I just can't come to grips with it on a mental level.

I seriously hope some day I have a revelation that will make me suddenly not so scared of dying, because it's something we all have to do no matter what so I really hope my intense fear of it at least simmers a little bit.
Same. Same. It's entirely impossible to fathom and absolutely terrifying.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not so scary since you cannot be aware that you are dead. You are just nothing. So there's nothing to be scared about. I mean I understand being afraid of the actual moment of dying, since that part we must live through but being dead, that's easy. I mean, there's nothing left. You won't realize you stopped existing. Endless sleep with no dreams nor nightmares for eternity. It's almost soothing.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not 100% positive, but I've got no reason to believe otherwise. Who we are is contained in our brain. That's something I feel pretty confident about. Of course what might be going on in our brains leads to its own exisential questions about life, death, and consciousness.

Like who we think we are maybe essentially being an emergent self from two internal "people" working in concert. And the person that posted awhile back about having multiple personalities where the personalities think the original commited suicide. Our brains are fucking weird.

And I'm bipolar. Exactly who I am can be difficult to pin down sometimes. The extreme swings in mood and thoughts sometimes is like being two different people. While some things are consistent, others are so different between the highs and lows that it does rapidly change aspects of my personality.

Sometimes I like to think about it, other times it makes me too anxious so I ignore it lol.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird if I try to sit down and try to fathom nothingness, I always get to a point where I shudder and my brain pretty much goes "Nope can't let you try to figure that one out" and lose the train of thought.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
As has been mentioned, there was a time we didn't exist and after death we will cease to exist again. I cannot see any reason to believe otherwise. It doesn't really scare me either, I can't be fearful of something I won't experience. The process of life slipping away is more terrifying to me, it is why I hope for a very quick, painless death.

jahepi

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Terrifying, isn´t it?, the good thing is that when you die you wont even notice it.
My logic says that there is nothing after dead but who knows.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Pretty much. I don't think that there exists a soul. Once your brain doesn't get oxygen and your brain cells begin to die you just cease to exist.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every claim to the contrary has been made by people with absurd agendas. I can't possibly know, but nobody has presented a single piece of evidence in millenia of looking for it, and if it's unknowable then there shouldn't be a tax break for saying it's knowable.

And I really, really, really want it to be a continuance of me. But it almost certainly isn't.

We are SNES cartridges full of epic saves and eventually the battery dies. The saves are gone. Somebody else will start a new game after I'm gone.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes but I think there is a worse possibility.
Assuming consciousness is a material phenomenon, I fear that after I die the universe could recreate it in infinite years in the future and I'd come back in a miserable, suffering existence. And that cycle would never end. The feeling, in the perspective of the one that dies, would be dying and reborning in the same instant except that a infinite amount of time passed since the death. That thought really scares me.

Oct 27, 2017
Despite being somewhat religious, I find the idea of immortality more scary. Imagine being, say, 30, forever. You don't age but everything around you can get destroyed. Imagine surviving the literal apocalypse, and being a body floating in space forever. I would go insane in less than a day.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not absolutely positive, no.

All I know is that I've seen no evidence of anything else.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I don't know, but the fact that we go into unconsciousness every night during dreamless state, while we still have an actual working brain, leads me to believe that when it goes bust, no consciousness or self-consciousness survives.

Dying is scary, but being dead should not be.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
My belief is that when your body dies your consciousness goes into an eternal dream state. Basically it'll be like you're asleep forever. You'll never wake up. You'll dream like if you were sleeping. So I guess if you were a terrible person in life you'll have eternal nightmares. If you are able to have lucid dreams in life then you'll have a hell of an amazing eternal dream after you die. It's also why I believe people who are religious think they saw God when they were dead for a few minutes. Because they believe it so much that they dream it's real.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
This analogy is interesting because a lot of traditions would claim that the fire existed as a potentiality before it was actualized or ignited (a potential that is perhaps inherent in everything as possible fuel that fire can sustain itself on), and with the consumption of the fuel the fire reverts back from an actuality to being a mere potency again.

Buddhist philosophy actually uses this analogy to demonstrate its denial of both eternalism or annihilationism. What happens to the fire that has burnt out? We don't really know, but we can perhaps claim it neither definitively dies, nor persists eternally, because it reduces itself back into a common base potentiality that inheres in broader or universal processes. Thanissaro wrote a really interesting essay on this topic called 'Mind like fire unbound' fwiw.

That's just physics. Energy can be neither created nor destroyed, it only changes form. Everything has potential energy. Some wood has better energy potential for fire than other species because of it's structure, some wood is more energy dense and better for firewood because it will burn longer. When the fire goes out it is because all the energy in the wood has been changed into heat and light energy, etc.
When you raise a ball into the air you give it gravitational potential energy because gravity is always pulling it down.
When you bring a baseball bat backwards before you swing it, you are giving it kinetic potential energy because you are tense like an elastic.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
I'd like to add something.

People who think we have consciousness all figured out are deeply mistaken. We still don't know. I will believe we truly understand it the day we will be able to program one. Until then...

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
It's absolutely fucking terrifying that I'm likely only 30 years from, as far as my peception is concerned, the end of the world. I literally lose sleep over it. "Don't worry about it, there's nothing you can do about it"..... That statement makes it worse. There is NOTHING you can do about it. You are fucked.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
No. I firmly believe there is an afterlife and that it probably feels more real than this temporary one.

So a person who barely has any recollection of who they were dies and then lives another life in that state? or is it a utopia where your consciousness reverts back to when you were healthy? Life and consciousness are so temporary that it feels insulting to everyone who suffers these horrific brain conditions that its all temporary when in reality this is what they have left.

Nov 8, 2017
My default and logical position is that I was born once from nothing, therefore if it happened once then why should it never happen again? Why would it only be once?

Now, I'm not saying that I'll necessarily be born again on Earth, or within a short time frame after the end of my current life, or even within the same universe, but somehow it is my natural intuition that it will happen, and I don't really understand why people default to the "nothingness forever" idea.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
It's kind of weird because I accept that it's probably like how you were before you were born (endless sleep, though an afterlife of eternal ecstasy would be preferable) but like, I still feel sad because I'll miss things like my family, friends, hobbies. Then I remember wait a minute, of course I won't miss them, I'll be unconscious, its literally impossible to miss anything in that state! But I still feel like I will miss life in death. Anyone else feel that way

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
My default and logical position is that I was born once from nothing, therefore if it happened once then why should it never happen again? Why would it only be once?

Now, I'm not saying that I'll necessarily be born again on Earth, or within a short time frame after the end of my current life, or even within the same universe, but somehow it is my natural intuition that it will happen, and I don't really understand why people default to the "nothingness forever" idea.

if it "happened again" you would not know, so its functionally redundant to consider.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
100%.

i dont think there's any chance of an afterlife, it seems so nonsensical. what exactly would exist of me? my thoughts and memories, freed from my physical brain? like.. wtf?

i do think that i might very well exist again though, as i'm not special at all. the physics that made my existence possible isn't magic, in an eternal universe/multiverse it's inevitably gonna happen again, no matter how unlikely. everything that's physically possible, repeats forever... maybe.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Who is the one to experience this nothingness? Is there such a self?

Ponder that before worrying about being an experiencer in addition to the experience of the void.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
So a person who barely has any recollection of who they were dies and then lives another life in that state? or is it a utopia where your consciousness reverts back to when you were healthy? Life and consciousness are so temporary that it feels insulting to everyone who suffers these horrific brain conditions that its all temporary when in reality this is what they have left.
That's what you believe. I see it as hopeful, because there's a chance for something better if this isn't all they have left.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
That's what you believe. I see it as hopeful, because there's a chance for something better if this isn't all they have left.

Its not a belief. Your consciousness is formed by the synapses in your brain, and when you're sick, dying or just on drugs you can lose sense of self. I've had friends and family suffer because of this to the point of being different people, committing suicide or in my friends case his dad pulled the plug on himself when my friend was about 13. I've experienced psychosis myself and it fucking sucks to feel how fragile your means of processing reality really are.

Basically the idea that you get another chance goes against life being this fleeting and precious existence and instead of treating others with that kind of respect its only a tool people have used to offer useless thoughts and prayers to the deceased posthumous, or like i've experienced being told that im "going to hell" for things I can't help.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Humanity is not special. Everything we are and constructed is the result of completely logical arbitrary steps that happened over the many ages. Death will come to us like it will come to every animal, which is what we are. We're not more special because of our inteligence or capacity of abstraction.

And, in some billion years, the sun will consume us and all that ever happened here won't have mattered one bit. Unless of course we discover interestellar traveling.