• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Its not a belief. Your consciousness is formed by the synapses in your brain, and when you're sick, dying or just on drugs you can lose sense of self. I've had friends and family suffer because of this to the point of being different people, committing suicide or in my friends case his dad pulled the plug on himself when my friend was about 13. I've experienced psychosis myself and it fucking sucks to feel how fragile your means of processing reality really are.

Basically the idea that you get another chance goes against life being this fleeting and precious existence and instead of treating others with that kind of respect its only a tool people have used to offer useless thoughts and prayers to the deceased posthumous, or like i've experienced being told that im "going to hell" for things I can't help.
58582c39f034562c58220601.png

I'm sorry that stuff happened to you and nobody should tell you you're going to hell for things you can't help. But it is a belief.

I also know others who have suffered from mental illness, and have even suffered from it myself, and I find it comforting to know I'm more than my brain. A soul, to me, is more powerful than a brain.

I understand why you're being so defensive but it isn't what I believe.

Goya

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Death sucks, but prolonged earthly life sucks more. Looking forward to meeting my maker.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No. I think there's something after in some way. Maybe. I think, at the least, my energy will live on.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
but does it not cause you some stress abuthw you will be judged even if you do good? I still believe in after life but as someone being vulnerable and alone with my convictions, I feel in the minority because most people don't..So I am confused, even though I saw my mother telling me she wasn't dead after her death.

Whatever happens , will happen - not everything is in my control and I came to accept that.

All I can do is believe in what I have done is good and that despite not being perfect (no one in this world is perfect) , I am doing and have done the best to my abilities.

I still believe there's so much more for me to do in this world so using that gives me motivation to the point where I don't worry about the destination but focused on the journey instead.

Goya

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Aging is hell, and you'll be alive to experience it. But like everyone else in this thread is saying re:death, can't do shit about it, so cope.

Goya

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
slatestarcodex.com

Who By Very Slow Decay

[Trigger warning: Death, pain, suffering, sadness] I. Some people, having completed the traditional forms of empty speculation – “What do you want to be when you grow up?”, &#8220…

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will say that it does blow my mind that one day we have interests, thoughts, ambitions, friends, family then one day, just nothing.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I can empathise quite a lot with you OP. I have the same thoughts, right down to the existential dread panic attacks that I have to snap myself out of. I personally think we lose consciousness and don't wake back up. At the very least (and as others have pointed out), we won't be aware of it and it won't be our problem (it'll sadly be our family & friends').

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Almost died last year from a heart attack. Just when I was losing oxygen my vision started fading to white. It was quite comforting, like someone was turning the dial down on all my senses. Voices around me started fading etc. So now my Judeo-Christian values are being challenged. I'm starting to think we just fade to nothingness. I'd like to have an after-party but dunno if that's ever gonna happen.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
"Do you feel positive that death is eternal nonexistence, forevermore?"

My mum died 27th November 2019..... I cant feel positive about this at all... Far from bringing me comfort... The thought brings me dread, anxiety, panic.

I'm a total non believer religiously... I know that ultimately you die and boom it's all just gone...

But still... I think about it and it hurts me immeasurably....

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'm afraid of withering away and dying in pain. I'm not afraid of being dead.

I'm not 100% positive that there's nothing after, because there's no way to know that. But it certainly appears that my consciousness is a result of chemical reactions in a big bag of mostly water. There's no reason to think that can continue when the reactions end.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Personally, I think we shut down and that's it. I can't shake the thought that that is what awaits us, I wish I could change the way I think about it. It's not a positive thought.

I'll say this though, the first time I had to deal with the death of someone close to me was when my grandmother died (she lived with me all my life up to that point and raised me) and I found a lot of comfort in a song by Anathema (Presence), with words from someone that I can't remember right now, all that I know is that I found peace in those words and it helped me with my grandmother's death a lot. I found it beautiful, for some reason.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do after waking up in a ditch with no memory of how I got there.

So for however long I was there, there was nothing. Just my last memory then the ditch.

I imagine death is like that now.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I have mixed feelings about death but I'm not smart enough to articulate it.
But I'll try.
I'm a Christian meaning that an eternity with Christ is supposed to be the most appealing thing ever. But I struggle with relating to a perfect world. It's hard because I don't know what eternity in paradise looks like. I struggle so much with that.
Death is nothingness and being under anesthesia was maybe the closest thing to that I ever experienced. I was aware of nothing. It also means I was free of pain. This reality is what I know which is why when I think about my death, I think about how free I'll be if I remain dead forever because I'll be aware of absolutely nothing.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
"Do you feel positive that death is eternal nonexistence, forevermore?"

My mum died 27th November 2019..... I cant feel positive about this at all... Far from bringing me comfort... The thought brings me dread, anxiety, panic.

I'm a total non believer religiously... I know that ultimately you die and boom it's all just gone...

But still... I think about it and it hurts me immeasurably....
Hugs dude. I can relate.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
When you die you are reincarnated as a mouse. If while you are a mouse, you manage to kill a rat, then you are reborn as a rat. As a rat, you must kill a cat. As a cat, you must kill a wolf. As a wolf, a panther. As a panther, a man. If you manage to complete this, you will be reincarnated in a human body.

If you fail at that, you're dead forever.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
When you die you are reincarnated as a mouse. If while you are a mouse, you manage to kill a rat, then you are reborn as a rat. As a rat, you must kill a cat. As a cat, you must kill a wolf. As a wolf, a panther. As a panther, a man. If you manage to complete this, you will be reincarnated in a human body.

If you fail at that, you're dead forever.
Too much work. I'd be reborn as the mouse and just hide and eat cheese until I die.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give me the sweet embrace of Oblivion fam.

This "life" thing is tiring. Why the fuck would I want an AFTERlife? Let me take a break. Hopefully after a few gajillion years somehow someway enough of what makes me "me" will coalesce into another existence and we start it a over again.

Oct 27, 2017
I like that one Alan Watts quote about life and existence, the grand novelty of it all, something along the lines of :

"Have you ever looked at a puff of cigarette smoke shining through the rays of sunlight? It's filled with swirls and all kinds of marvelous and complex textures, for a moment in time, then it disappears forever. The universe is kind of like that."

It's a wonderful comparison to how fleeting life is. We're in the midst of such complexity, but we're only here to enjoy it for a small while. We'll never truly even begin to understand what happens after death, but it must be grand, because life is grand. I consider myself a somewhat spiritual person. I like the idea that when we die, we transfer into another dimension, reincarnating as something beyond human comprehension, an alien to this universe.

But perhaps there is no higher-power at work, and we're just experiencing life because of some miraculous circumstance in the universe. Perhaps there is an infinite number of universes, and the one we're in isn't anything special. If we're not special, and this is our only shot at experiencing something, it makes life seem so precious and incredible. Just enjoy the ride and don't worry about WHO or WHAT created all of this in first place, or even for WHAT purpose, because it's probably beyond our depth.

Jittan

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
My biggest fear is that after watching my life flash before my eyes, I'll wake up in the empty space of my own head, forced to exist in limbo in my own fucked up head for eternity.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I get the whole concept, and even the relief, of saying something like "it will be just like it was before you were born."
I sincerely and truly do get the intention behind that whole sentiment.
My only thing is I was not a sentient being before I was born. So of course I knew nothing, I was nothing.
So once you are born, to be like it was before you were born just seems impossible for me to comprehend.
Put another way, when you are nothing it is very easy to comprehend being nothing.
Once you are nothing and you do become nothing again, how can you know you are nothing if you are in fact nothing?
I know, I know. I really do know the answer is you are nothing so it does not matter that you are nothing.
My only point is it is a whole different mind fuck trying to imagine all of that when you were in fact something. And that something was alive.
But yeah, I know it does not matter.
It just keeps me up / makes me panic sometimes knowing it really does not matter. Not at all.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Yes, I don't think there's anything after death.

Sometimes I feel good about it, sometimes don't.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Think of it like Devilman, the universe will eventually come to an end, and it'll all happen again.

We'll be back.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't believe in an afterlife but I do believe that you do live on in some form of human memory, whether it's a random Twitter post or through the interactions people remember having with you. And it's not necessarily that you had to actually say or do something — not doing something can be remembered too, like if you're the quiet person at work, maybe someone just remembers that you existed as that person that wouldn't talk to anyone and no one else at work knew what you were all about. Or if you posted on Twitter, and no one replied, shared, or anything, but someone remembers you, looks you up, finds your post after you're gone, and you were a real asshole in that Twitter post and they're like "oh right, that person spent their life being fucking miserable to everyone." ;P

In any case, part of you does live on in the way you communicate, no matter how small or insignificant, it can resonate up through ongoing human existence nowadays. We're at a point where our communication and technology can seem more permanent and impactful than ever, and it creates a lasting memory of the person you were when you were a live perhaps more poignantly than ever, assuming it is preserved somehow. And I don't just mean digital social media living forever in the internet — that's just one part of it — but same as ever, sometimes people remember you even if you weren't the most popular or significant person in your social circles.

When you die, your personal participation ends, but your personality is likely out there somewhere still, in someone's memory or recorded in social media or something, living on through someone else's ongoing life.

Ablacious

Dec 23, 2018
Yeah, sometimes get the dread and am unable to sleep. It's tough because at this point I haven't done much other than work.
I should get started on other things.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
I'ma beat them other side demons to a pulp. The afterlife will be the Fishlife when im done with them spirits

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I'm not positive about much of anything, but that's where I'm willing to stake my beliefs, yes.

Live for what I have here, as it's all I ever know I'll have. Be good(/excellent) to others; this may be all they have as well. If possible, leave the world in a better way, however small, for my having been here. For all those that come after. Only after the end will I stop caring, as I must.

Maybe I'll live on through all my little particles, decayed and reformed and scattered through the continuance of life.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not 100% positive about most things but I think the most logical conclusion about death is that it's no different from what it was like before you were born. Just imagine what it was like for you 1,000 years ago. Why would 1,000 years from now be any different?

Oct 27, 2017
Souls and afterlife always struck me as extremely egotistical.

We're a cool species but we arent that special. And yeah I feel fairly positive about it. It's just one of those side effects of having language and being aware of our mortality. I prefer to be thankful of death for allowing new life and growth.

I rarely think about it outside of "I'm not ready to go yet." I'm about as scared of it as I am of falling asleep. A slow drawn out lead-up is what I dread. But then I guess death would really seem great, relatively speaking.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I hope so.

Can you imagine how boring it would be? Note, we have families, and relationships as a species for survival. When we have no feeling for anything and are just there forever in whatever spirit location that would be dull.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Death is only scary because we have time to sit here and ponder it.