• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I'm an agnostic, I have no idea what happens.

Even if you take the hard atheist belief, it follows that life itself is just a phenomenon. Consciousness is an illusion of a complex, compounded, but biologically programmed system. Time itself is not well understood. It is relative, it doesnt really exist outside of our physical understanding. Time could just be a dimension that our lizard brains perceive as marching in progression because of how the brain stores information.

The silver lining of you being an illusion is that whatever is viewing the screen behind your eyes isn't bound to your physical being. "You" formed out of randomness over infinite space time. Mathematically given more infinite spacetime "you" will exist again. That's the mind boggling thing about infinity.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
The older I get the more I feel like death will be final. I kind of welcome it. I wouldn't want to do this forever and I don't want to do it again. Things end. I'll end.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
Yes. It has to be. And it's kind of beautiful and reassuring in a way once you get over the anxiety and the maddening thought process of trying to quantify it and wrestle with the finility of it.

I think in your youth its terrifying and we are mostly brought up taught of some sort of afterlife whether it is religious or theoretical.

Having high anxiety and fascination with thought experiments regarding death and consciousness and the brutality of it, reading people's accounts of near death experiences, can be enlightening or terrifying depending on how you come to terms with what it means to you.

Its heavy stuff.

I personally don't believe in any kind of afterlife, or chance of any kind of lingering consciousness or spirit living on after death. I think it's childish, although heartwarming, to wish for an afterlife or reincarnation. Yes atoms change and we are all stardust but once life ends fully, that's it.

And personally I'm OK with that.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Do you ever feel like anything during sleep? Thats kinda like the free trial of death

I would think its much more similar to passing out and medical sedation. Ever gotten surgery with hmtge full sedation? It's like a time machine. Instantly goes from wondering when it'll kick in to being helped out of the chair. With sleep there's a sense of time and random thoughts.

ChunkyChowder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with death. It's aging and the passage of time that scare me. So much so that I'm seriously thinking of ending my life when I get around 60.

Last edited:

Ballistik

Oct 26, 2017
We're made from the matter that makes up the universe, each and every one of us is the universe, and when our brief consciousness is over, we'll return to being universe matter. If I think of myself as anything more than that, then I'm trying to convince myself that I'm something much more than the universe, and I choose not to. I'm ok with the reality I fabricated for myself to continue living my life in peace.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I used to worry about this kind of stuff alot too. Then I considered what it would like to be a human eternally. Hell no. If there's an afterlife hopefully it's just an eternal sense of happiness or contentness with no thoughts. Or something completely unfathomable for the human brain. Or nothing, although that's obviously not a nice thing to consider while alive.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Of course I do. Anything else is silly and based on nothing but faith or simply desire for it to be true. And that general idea has been hammered into the populace over thousands of years to force people into submission over this one, fickle, delicate life we do have. "Yes you will work the plows and give over most of what you've worked for and you get to watch those with more live a life you wish you could but don't worry about it because a life of good, hard work will pay off. Later. Much later. Forever! This is but a brief moment of shit existence followed by an eternity of glory and perfection. So shut up and get back in the fields."

It's harmful and regressive and has prevented change for the better.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I kinda lean toward thinking if there is something after death, it won't really preserve me as I am now anyway. My soul or concsiousness won't be in my body, constrained by my brain and its chemistry and thought processes or the 5 senses I'm currently limited to. Something like that. A lot of people seem to think of the afterlife as you living on in another ethereal form, yet somehow unchanged from how you were in life. But who you are as we understand it depends a lot on factors tied to having a physical form like your mental health, your memories, experiences and upbringing, etc, and when you die you lose access to that or are given means to think of it differently. Dunno if that makes sense.

Truth is, I don't know. Maybe we're reborn on a distant planet or an entirely different universe/reality, maybe we ascend to a new plane of existence, maybe we chill with all our loved ones on some nice golden clouds, maybe we just cease to perceive anything forever. Nothing I can do to stop it, so I just try not to let that existential dread creep in.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There was this video I saw a while back when I was going through an existential crisis. This one:

While it did not help with my existential dread...it kind of put things into perspective and helped me feel at peace with it all a bit more.
When I go through these thoughts this video always comes to my mind.

I love this quote:
"Close your eyes. Count to 1. That's how long forever feels."