• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
¨Worlds Will Change¨

That was the phrase used to hype up The Game Awards 2018 and many people believed there would be a number of top developers and publishers choosing the show to announce or give an update on their biggest games. In the week leading to the show, many expected a new Alien game, the AAA Avengers game project, Borderlands 3, Metroid Prime 4 and more to be there, but all of those mentioned were no shows.

Now, I understand that gamers tend to set their expectations too high and it is liked to be believed that we bring it upon ourselves when disappointed, but I couldn´t help but feel like this year´s TGA felt very light when it comes to the impact of the new games and content that was shown.

Geoff did a great job with the actual awards show and how the awards were presented, but it honestly isn´t why the majority of viewers tune in. And I´m sure he knows that so it needs to be emphasized that he should try to secure bigger game announcements for the TGAs 2019. The lasting impression from people I know was ¨It wasn´t worth watching¨ due to the event being marketed as something much bigger than what it was in terms of the new games and content featured.

So my view is that the quality of the TGAs is being taken to the next level as a show, but the announcements really need to be taken up a notch with it.

What were your thoughts on the announcements at the show as a whole?

Jan 19, 2018
Personally, I was surprised they had so much cool stuff to announce. I loved it and it surpassed my expectations. Just disappointed that those Metroid rumors were wrong.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was okay, it had a lot of stuff, only a few things spoke to me personally, but it seemed like it had something (at least 1) for everyone.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
I was never a fool enough to believe Metroid would show up.

It was fine with announcements.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I wanted Civ VI android.

That PUBG snow map is pretty nice lookin' though.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly surprised by how many great announcements there were. That all said, getting hyped for Metroid and there being nothing was, well, an experience.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, but how could they?

Half of the time E3 doesn't even deliver enough announcements to justify sitting through a long stage show. This 3+ hour awards ceremony doesn't stand a chance.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I mean its pretty late in the console generation. They delivered what they could. Made the hype stuff even hyper.

Oct 25, 2017
For sure. Tons of cool indie announcements and a couple of real wow announcements to punctuate things, I think they've slid into a really nice niche at this point. It's the awards end that I think could be improved, but the announcements stuff is great.

z1yin9c

Nov 8, 2017
It is not its mission to deliver huge announcements.... Its mission is to celebrate games from the past year and give some small games the spotlight....

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only notable games I remember from last night was MK 11 (which was leaked ahead of time) and The Outer Worlds which, while it was known beforehand it would be there, I don't think any of us were prepared for how impressive it would be. It was definitely the highlight of last night.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't tell if it was good overall. Most of the announcements are things I personally don't care about at all, since I don't like online or open world games.

Hades looks neat. Joker announcement was amazing. Those were my main takeaways. I let myself believe in Metroid.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. "Worlds will change" implies something meaningful. Having every other reveal be an early access indie game is not meaningful. The only real significant reveal I can think of was Obsidian's game. Everything else was garbage, or stuff we already knew about.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Compared to previous years, I felt a lot more like I was the targeted demographic of the announcements this year. I loved pretty much everything that was revealed, from Sayonara Wild Hearts through Smash x Persona. All of the indie announcements were incredible. All of the bigger games seemed very cool. I'm fine with PUBG and Fortnite getting their moments, especially if it means the TGAs get the budget they need to showcase so many indie games.

Very happy with the direction this year.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The only truly major surprises were the Joker announcement and Ultimate Alliance 3. If anything I was more pleased with the updates on games that've already been announced (DMC5, RAGE 2) plus what we were expecting (Mortal Kombat 11, Outer Worlds)

Tbh, this TGA needed a moment like this.

Would have been dope if we got a Prime 4 tease then a proper gameplay reveal at E3 2019.

Sincerest

Jan 22, 2018
It was an amazing show.

Little things like JoelMcHale, and that A Way Out guy, made for a great time.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, though we know most of the major strokes before the thing started.

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was good, but many of the greatest reveals were leaked earlier (MK, farcry), so the surprise factor was gone.

Oct 27, 2017
The leaks took some wind of their sails but the show was overall really good and I wasn't expecting a ton of megatons. Joker in Smash was hype though.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i LOVED the show, but i'm a basic bitch who's easy to please.

my highlights were:
- seeing sayonara wild hearts, the new game from one my favorite mobile devs, revealed at the beginning of the show. they've been working on it for a long time (four years) and i've been following their blog for development and to see them reveal their first console game on the big stage of TGA made me really happy for them. it also looked AMAZING.
- CTR being revealed, coming to switch day 1. i love that game and have a lot of memories of playing it when i was a kid, i obviously knew it was going to be announced cuz they had teased it, but i was prepared for the switch version to come later.

that's it, i didn't care about much else but those two were enough for me.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was super happy with it, yeah.
  • Mortal Kombat 11
  • Crash Team Racing
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
  • The Outer World
  • Persona 5 x Smash Bros.
All great. Made my evening.

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really like the VGA. I always end up wishing it would end one hour before it actually ends. It's always a bit cringe worthy. This year, they stepped up their game on the presentation though, I gotta admit it. Few cringe moments overall. The pace was rather good. As for the annoucement, I think it felt just as lackluster as previous years, maybe even worse. Not to say nothing of value was found, that would be lying. It's nowhere near E3 or TGS level of hype, is all I'm saying.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
They did very well and delivered as promised. It's not like they can announce every game coming out in the next year to please everyone. What they did was good. (My only gripe with the tgas is how they treat most of the awards themselves)

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Felt like the rewards were an afterthought. None of the announcements were anything mind blowing

Buzz

Oct 28, 2017
CTR, Obsidian's game(and being multi platform), lot of cool indie games and overall an impressively produced show. I think it delivered big time for me.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was happy with a lot of the reveals, especially The Outer World, Persona x Smash, and Crash Team Racing. I really wish we had gotten a Borderlands reveal as well, so I'm hoping we don't have to wait too long before we see that one.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it absolutely has enough newsmaking announcements. What it needs is better delineations between awards, announcements, and ads. It feels like they were intentionally blurring the line between all three, making the viewing experience way worse than the sum of its parts for me.

Announcing nominees and then getting Mortal Kombat instead? That's admitting that the actual awards take the back seat at the biggest video game awards show, which is messed up. Imagine the best actress oscar nominee presentation surprise turning into a trailer for Star Wars Episode 9. It's just trashy.

Gimmicky fake blackout leading to a DLC announcement? That's a trick you see at least once every E3 and it's super stale and makes you think that maybe this awards show is amateurish enough to have everything go wrong. That's a really stupid thing to project when the VGAs big struggle right now is gaining respectability.

Constant ads for games mentioned in the show that are made to look like reveals but aren't? No. Just no.

Drop all the gimmicks. Cleanly announce reveals in a way that tells people what they are watching. Treat the awards presentation part with the respect we claim we are giving to the recipients. Have clear commercial break intros and outros like every other award show ever.

That's the problem. There were enough announcements that it's already second only to E3. More are always better, but the number is fine. It's just all the other stuff.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but there will always be people who wouldn't have been pleased unless one of the big 3 shadow dropped a console reveal last night.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
8/10 in terms of reveals.

Really wished the Square Enix Avengers thing would be shown there .. but can't blame TGA for it.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I thought it was pretty good. Not much you can expect this late into a console generation in terms of megatons.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
the show itself keep getting better every year but last years announcements definitely were far better.
nothing geoff can do about it though, if games are not ready to be shown yet they are not ready. kojima missing from the show was really weird though, i'm almost 100% sure they planned to have kojima and death stranding to be there so something must have happened.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Definitely. Lots of great reveals. Better than some conventions.

But I think the TGAs sacrifice the prestige of the awards by being a marketing event.

I understand why they need it, logistically. Reveals bring in viewers. Viewers bring in advertisers. Advertises bring in money so they can keep producing the awards. I get it.

But I don't know how viable it is long term to try to be both things.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, absolutely not. The show was well done but the announcements were extremely underwhelming for a gaming event. It's an area they need to do better in, but with how exclusive companies are with announcements, I doubt they will be able to do much.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
I hope the VGA's mature to the level that we can watch to celebrate the creators and their hard work. For me, the best parts were hearing the developers address their peers and fans, and seeing the incredible orchestral versions of video game music.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Wasn't much I was interested in but I'm intrigued by the Hello Games short and I'm open to any new game but teasers and whatnot don't ever tell me much but I'm probably day one for that Obsidian game. The Persona thing had me shook for a hot minute until it was Smash related. I don't play Smash and care not who is in it. Thought there was a new Persona thing happening but no. Nice get for Smash fans though.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
It still will always be B Tier stuff as long as E3 exists. That is why I thought the Metroid people were nuts. As long as E3 exists a mega AAA franchise will never reveal itself at the game awards. What they showed was great though! Not everything in the industry has to be multi million budget AAA.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's Keighley's job to get people to tune in and get hyped, but so much of the reveals and "world premieres" were so forgetable that as I'm sitting here thinking about last night I can only remember Hades, UA3, and a new map for PUBG. I know there were other games there, but it was so rapid fire and short that I can't think of any of them.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
It's had better years for announcements but I think it's important and good and correct (and frankly matters more) for the actual *awards* portion of the evening to get better and better.

It's good for the industry to have a night for self-celebration and recognition, IMO.