• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
HypedBeast

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
Isnt Street Fighter V kinda there?
Kind of. If SFV was full of male characters that acted like moded Hot Ryu, it would be a more apt comparison.
EF4Xqm6.gif

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
And to the women and gay men out there, would you be interested in playing a game like that? If a game pandered to your taste this hard, would you be a little more compelled to buy it

If it was a good game, i.e. fanservice wouldn't be it's main and only selling point, then yes, why not?
However, if you're asking if I would buy the game only because of the fan service, then no -- too little time and there are already too many good games out there waiting to be played.

(But still, I've already played my share of freeware gay games >_>)

However...

I want Bear-onetta.

I don't know if the industry is ready for it. But I am.

... this I would love to see. ;)

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
There is a market, as you can tell with the many otome gacha games. Take a look at Touken Ranbu, and how it sexualizes the characters when they are damaged. Still don't expect all the same techniques use on woman to work when sexualizing man, like the repeated response of ball jiggle physics in these type of topics.
7e576c55943536a1a079c227d5c701c6--slums-character-ideas.jpg
latest
latest
latest

Last edited:

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there'sa market, not sure how big though

problem is, nobody is gonna make that faith leap and put millions and millions behind a game with an unproven market.

as of now, crowfunding would be the only solution i can think of.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Isnt Street Fighter V kinda there?

Being a straight guy, I'm certainly no expert in this, but isn't Kratos a prime example of this?

Does the camera focus on their hot parts when being cinematic or his face/actions ?

Does they have anything comparable to boob physics ?

Do the devs even bother to model their package ?

And I would like to think that in this there will be lots of almost nude dudes and every woman is dress properly and pratically and with full armor.
Meanwhile if they have crotch armor it is like this

UgDgfa6.jpg

Except nothing else but the codpiece

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have no examples but I think it'd be cool.

When it comes down to it most games are sexualized because people (particularly many het guys) want to see things they find sexy

Everyone should get to experience that if they want because honestly, even though sexualized depictions are usually problematic in some way, it's fucking enjoyable sometimes to control or see a sexy character. Or a bunch of them.

ZServ

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dawg, hell yeah. I wanna see ripped mother fuckers fighting like Gods.

So pretty much Dragonball fighters.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yes, where's my Gayonetta? I'll buy, like, two copies. That's a market.

Sometimes I think that gayonetta is just bayonetta. She is basically a drag queen.

Fashion walk, strike a pose, huge heels for everything, hairy as fuck, fabulous dancing, glorious hairstyle, basically a man's version of what would be awesome to be have on a woman.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Whether there's room for it or not I seriously doubt any developer or publisher would put AAA money into a game with hyper sexualized male characters. At least, not where that's a major part of it.

AAA games are mostly about playing it safe and finding ways to keep selling you shit for months after release... not being edgy or splitting markets.

That being said: a BEARonetta would be hilarious and great.

Mar 23, 2018
I think Devil May Cry does a decent job at giving a bit of that to everyone LOL not hyper sexualized, but it sure is damn sexy sometimes

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I think that gayonetta is just bayonetta. She is basically a drag queen.

Fashion walk, strike a pose, huge heels for everything, hairy as fuck, fabulous dancing, glorious hairstyle, basically a man's version of what would be awesome to be have on a woman.
Hmm, excellent point.

I was imagining Gayonetta as much less femme though. He'd totally be a bear. And not one of these serious angry men that are in all the straight people games; I want him sexually confident but friendly and outgoing.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
The closest I've seen was the Dynasty Warriors style game based on the Hakuoki otome franchise for the PSP. It got localized, but I don't think many people cared about it.

TigerGD

Oct 29, 2017
Bioware RPGs aren't my cup of tea, but I remember hearing a lot of praise for the Iron Bull in DAI.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Capcom are actually really good at male sexualisation.

Hence my avatar.

Whoever said Bear-onetta earlier in the thread is sitting on a gold mine.

But Bayonetta basically exudes everything drag queen anyway.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Not really thanks to years of male focused marketing creating a high budget market for over sexualized women while the opposite is reserved for gatcha or otome where demographics don't have a male slant. Also see: the endless complaints about that outfit in a FF game that got it made less pretty boy.

Deleted member 36086

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Insomoniac's Spider-Man has a suit in the game where he's only wearing underwear. That's pretty sexualized imo.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I think Devil May Cry does a decent job at giving a bit of that to everyone LOL not hyper sexualized, but it sure is damn sexy sometimes

Only the relaunched game has a sexualised male lead - and its no coincidence that it was loathed by people. That was definitely one factor. The Dante design from the original games is cool as fuck, but it isn't sexualised in any way.

And yes, I think there would be a market for this - once someone tries it. Remember, until Black Panther most people thought a black superhero film wouldn't work. Until Twilight people didn't honk you could earn billions off appealing to women sexually.

Given how much male sexuality sells elsewhere (pop music, TV shows, marvel movies) it would be odd to think it wouldn't in games.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Insomoniac's Spider-Man has a suit in the game where he's only wearing underwear. That's pretty sexualized imo.

Nah, it's a joke suit. And as much as I love the game, he's basically a sexless ken doll with no bulge or ass. They seem to have deliberately avoided any hint of male sexuality in the suit designs (which is odd as even the comics have some of that).

Serge Chrono

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Brazil
As long as people don't start to problematize games when the opposite happens, ok. I mean, things like Bayonetta 1 and 2, Senran Kagura series, the women in Ninja Gaiden and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, etc.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Also worth noting that BioWare have been doing this for a while, and well before Inquisition. Thane in Mass Effect 2 was specifically designed and focus grouped to be sexually and romantically appealing to women.
That seemed to have worked out well.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017

Why?

Male sexuality sells huge amounts in any other medium. We know huge amount of women play games. When Marvel goes to the ridiculous lengths it does to justify topless scenes for its male cast in every film, surely we're past the point where people can think male sexuality doesnt earn big money?

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Why?

Male sexuality sells huge amounts in any other medium. We know huge amount of women play games. When Marvel goes to the ridiculous lengths it does to justify topless scenes for its male cast in every film, surely we're past the point where people can think male sexuality doesnt earn big money?

Not in gaming yet. I can't even think of a mainstream game with alot of male sexuality. Even Bioware games hide it

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Sure why not? Just like with female hyper sexuality in games you do run the risk of turning off some potential buyers but game developers should feel free to do it if they want to.

Oct 27, 2017
No, that's just impossible. You just can't sexualize a man, obviously.

You talking in a way that's economically viable, or just in general? 'Cuz you can totally sexualize men, it's just hard for us to conceive what that would actually entail. I literally have a better idea of what gay men generally find attractive than what straight women find attractive (mostly thanks to my gf's love of all things Drag Race.)

I saw an article someone wrote on the subject, once. It was pretty interesting. It picked apart details why some were more sexualized than others. Clothes, pose, what body features were accentuated by design. The difference between Voldo's sexualization and sexualiztion meant to be actually attractive. A shirtless man in an aggressive pose appeals to men who what to be the character, like Kratos. A more laid back pose, with adonis lines on display is sexually appealing, which I think they demonstrated with a KoF character.

JordanKZ

Oct 27, 2017
I get the feeling that many here are OK with this, and would want potentially hyper sexualised male characters. But it seems like whenever the topic of sexualised female characters comes up, everyone gets up in arms about it. For the record, I don't actually mind either way, sexuality is sexuality and people can enjoy whatever they want.

And now I hope that this doesn't get me banned.

Baircade

Aug 21, 2018
Europe
Yes x 1000000!! I want more games with hot guys doing playful and sexy provocative stuff, preferably with eachother... Also more sexy orcs and other monsters/creatures/humanoids characters pls.

I wanted a Joel shirtless scene so bad... (I know it would've been weird but some thirsts will never be quenched)

Basically more hairy tatted beefcake in crop tops and shorts.
:)

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get the feeling that many here are OK with this, and would want potentially hyper sexualised male characters. But it seems like whenever the topic of sexualised female characters comes up, everyone gets up in arms about it. For the record, I don't actually mind either way, sexuality is sexuality and people can enjoy whatever they want.

And now I hope that this doesn't get me banned.
do you actually not see any difference between these things?