• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you finish games to 100% completion more or less now than you did when you were younger?

• I 100% complete games less now than I did when I was younger

Votes: 635 54.1%
  • I 100% complete games about the same now as I did when I was younger

Votes: 132 11.3%
  • I 100% complete games more now than I did when I was younger

Votes: 157 13.4%
  • I've never 100% completed a game

Votes: 249 21.2%

• Total voters

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
No the opposite, I used to have like 8 games on the go at once and rarely complete any of them but I've tried to cut that out, unless a game is really dragging on like Tales of vesperia or Breath of the Wild I alwys try and finish it these days, even if it means rushing the last parts

Edit - In terms of actual 100% completion I never really have except like Mario 64

Last edited:

BobHarris

Dec 20, 2017
Now that I'm older, working all week and possess an insane backlog, I only 100% games if the requirements don't veer far from the main game and/or don't require hours of grind or repetition.

100% Shenmue 1 Remake? No problem!
100% Prey? Ain't got time for that!

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I always feel like the 100% thing is a younger generation thing but I could be wrong. I feel like those of us that grew up without this completionist B.S. care a lot less. I feel like that stuff is always waste of time filler.

Don't give a damn about achievements or platinums or whatever. I'll do one for the fun sometimes along the way, but that's it.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
I say I'm about the same now then I was before when I was younger.

100% complete games that I enjoy/ want to play more of, don't really feel the need to do it for every one that I play. (so probably only a few)

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I want to play more games, so after end credits (if there are no relevant post credits stuff) I uninstall the game and move on

Bethell

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to do it now with RDR2. I'm 28 years old. Its alot harder having less time to play.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I 100% a single player game, but I refuse to 100% multi-player games. Single-player games with co-op I aim to 100%, the same with games with a competitive element.

Compared to my early days of the N64/PS1 Era I still have the same behavior, I just do a very minor level of multi-player more than before.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Life has gotten a lot more expensive as an adult, so i buy a lot less games and pick out the really great ones. These i find i spend more time with and (as long as there are no multiplayer trophies) go for the plat. So if anything i comlpete games more often now then i used to.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I beat games less these days, let alone 100% them. Games should be shorter, not longer. I would never think of getting all of the useless achievements, way too things competing for my entertainment time.

When I was younger I had one game that I would play for months because I had no money.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Actually I tend to complete more now than when I was younger, and chalk that up to games being easier (or at least the ones I've been playing) and also my attention span in general is sharper and thus I'm more engaged with what I'm playing. I was terrible at both platformers (Genesis) and a lot of the puzzle adventure games that were in such abundance during the early days of my PC gaming. The latter I liberally used walkthroughs for and still didn't complete a lot of them. A lot of the Genesis titles I played were rentals too so I didn't have a lot of time with them.

I also think I stick with games more consistently throughout these days cause well the stories tend to be higher quality and more engaging. That's not to say there weren't good stories back in the day to be found, there just seems to be a lot more consistent quality narratives these days.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped caring about trophies after platinuming Assassin's Creed: Syndicate 4 years ago. Too many checklists/useless bloats in games these days to care.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely noticed this, in fact I often don't even finish games any more. Even games I quite like. Nioh, for example, I was really enjoying, got about half way through and then felt like playing something else. Never went back to it and I don't feel any need to force myself to, I enjoyed my time with it and had enough.

Games in general just have a lot of padding. And video game stories are video game stories, you usually aren't missing much by abandoning it.

aeroslash

Feb 7, 2018
No. In fact is the other way around for me.. i have had more platinums in the last generarion than on previous ones.

what i do feel is that i'm more selective about the games.. sometimes i'd like something to play for a bit and get back to it in a few days, and sometimes i like games that demand a lot of hours as well.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel just the opposite. I chase those Platinum trophies because they make me feel I've invested my admittedly little free time better than burning through as many games as I can.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No, im 100% completing games far less now, thats mainly because when i was younger you could finish a game in one sitting and you would go back to it to 100% it because it was fun. Games nowadays can take up to 100 hours to finish and completing them 100% feels more like a fucking chore than something I look forward to doing. Now as soon as I see the credits I finish playing and move onto the next game. The one exception to that are mainly Nintendo games as they are well balanced and not filled with filler or grinding just to boost the completion time.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Just Yakuza mainly for me because I love doing the 100% requirements. Otherwise its down to if the 100% content is fun - for example, trophy listts for most games are trash so those get dropped, but if there are unique fights etc. I'll probably take a look (Sekiro's endings and optional encounters are amazing for example, and I'm having a blast getting all the pieces for the Ultima Keyblade in KH3 currently ready for the DLC).

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Actually, it's the opposite.

I have less time to play, but at the same time I buy less games and try to finish them before buying another. I hate seeing the backlog of unplayed games, and feel guilty of this wasted money.

I used to buy a lot of games in a lot of genres I didn't really care about in the end, by hype or peer pressure, or wanting to be "in" at the time of release. And often I dropped these games before finishing them, and regretting my purchase.

Nowadays, I know my taste and I know I will enjoy a game from looking at trailers and reading about it, so I (try to) only buy the games I know I will play to completion.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
For me it's not about growing up, but the fact that 100% completing any game in recent years is typically exponentially longer than it was in the past.

101% completing Donkey Kong Country probably didn't take me more than 10 hours on the first go.

100% completing the Witcher 3 would take multiple hundreds of hours.

It's just not comparable.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think I never completed a game to 100% for real. Final Fantasy X is close but I think I always skip 1 or 2 useless ultimate weapons. Otherwise it's just a big waste of time in most games. Lots of other games to play.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
I play fewer games now than when I was younger, but I 100% more of them.

Too many games got too difficult towards the end when I was younger, so I'd just keep on playing the game for fun, but without making much progress.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I like completing games 100%, but lack of time and backlog are important factors. For games I really love, I do go the extra mile though. Speed trophies are usually what make me give up, I don't like being on a timer.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
I'd try to 100% all my games a few years ago. But with less time to play these days I only do it in the games I really enjoy.

I've totally given up 100% open world games. It's just not fun to open the map and mark the 100'th chest displayed as a collectable.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Most games I finish get immediately deinstalled. I have some games that I replay on a regular basis or always dabble in like Red Dead, Doom or GTA. But most games I don't touch again after I beat them.

Sometimes I 100% games if I really enjoy the gameplay and it's not too much of a hassle.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Well, yes
As a kid you barely had any autonomy on the games youve got. So you felt compelled to finish it even if it was shite (specially because i didnt get as many)

These days if i dont like something i quickly drop it and i dont play nearly as much so of course i beat less games. Stuff i like i usually try to see the ending though no matter how long it takes. Almost finished with W3 years later!

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I'm pretty much the same. I feel like I'm done with the game the moment I see the credits nowadays

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I did it way more often when I was younger. Partly because I got fewer games so I spent more time on each one I got, but also because I simply enjoyed my games more in the past, I was more selective and only chose the ones that fit my tastes best.

These days I buy a bit of everything, and I've usually "had my fill" once the credits roll.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I've never really had the urge to 100% most games. Every now and then a game'll come along where I want to do as much as I can, but that really hasn't changed from when I was younger.

So about the same for me.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I mean i never did 100% any game i can remember. There are games i stick much longer with even after i beat the main story/campaign and that's something i do much less these days because there so many other games i still want to play.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
About the same, which is hardly ever. I've never really been one to keep hammering away at games after all meaningful/worthwhile content is exhausted, max out characters in RPGs, collect tons of shit I won't even use etc...

Oct 27, 2017
I rarely 100% games and especially so nowadays. Anything that is randomized, has content locked behind difficulties, etc. is pretty much a non-starter unless I can God Mode through it on PC.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Actually more so now that I'm older.

As long as it's not a huge grind or keeps me from moving on to another game that I want to play.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Definitely, if I'm not properly hooked within 10 hours I'm out. If I'm actively bored within the first few hours I'll dip out even earlier. If I'm hooked, I'll only 100% it if I'm basically in love with it

Apr 25, 2018
Definitely, I still have plenty of free time for games but I've gotten better at recognising when trying to 100% a game won't be fun or will sour my memories of it. I should have left Mario Odyssey without doing that skipping challenge..

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I finish less games these days. However, I feel I do more stuff in the games I play now.

Hell, I have put 170 hours into Metal Gear V. I have never put that much time into any game as a kid

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
It's a combination of time and just not wanting to do it anymore as it serves no real purpose. At this point most games I just try to get through as fast as possible, a few exceptions exist in which I do side content.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Much much less. It really has to be a GOTY contender for me to even entertain the idea of 100%ing a game. Even then, I don't do most of them.

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
I've never found a reason to 100% complete a game, unless it's just doing all sidequests and stuff naturally in a really short game. If it either has to do with achievements, includes meaningless tasks or boring as hell missions (like Horizon/Spiderman side content), I'm out.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
The most recent game I 100%'d was Mario Odyssey, but it's not like that is a 100 hour game so it was fine.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Much the opposite. I stopped buying too many games for too many systems. Dropped multi console gaming and find it much more relaxed and enjoyable focusing on 1-2 games at the time, finishing them and getting my money's worth. I haven't got a back log anymore either because I now only buy games when I'm ready to play them. Back in the days I had to buy new releases due to hype, pressure, fomo etc and didn't even play them until weeks/ months after release, by which time they started to reduce in price. Never got to enjoy them as I felt I needed to rush from game to game in order to stay up to date.
i still buy a few games day one, but nowhere near as frequently as before.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
By the time it became a thing to "100%" a game, I guess I was too old to bother with it.

I guess I got 100% completion in Axiom Verge, but that's ignoring trophies and going by the percentage the game gives you on the save screen.

Back in the day I think I got all the items in Super Metroid once. And I think I got 200% map completion in Castlevania SOTN