• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you finish games to 100% completion more or less now than you did when you were younger?

• I 100% complete games less now than I did when I was younger

Votes: 635 54.1%
  • I 100% complete games about the same now as I did when I was younger

Votes: 132 11.3%
  • I 100% complete games more now than I did when I was younger

Votes: 157 13.4%
  • I've never 100% completed a game

Votes: 249 21.2%

• Total voters

Yoss

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I've never cared about 100% a game. I play until I stop enjoying it or there's something else I want to play.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Nowadays? Lol, no.

Too big, not enough time and selection/competition has never been bigger. I'll make it to the credits and then 'ciao'! Next!

Oct 27, 2017
I miss the days where beating a game was it. I kind of can't stand having to collect a million random artifacts or complete all these side quests to really 100% beat the game.

That's one thing I don't like about games these days: the baked in fluff to extend a game's replay value or pad its initial playthrough time.

I appreciate aspects that add to the experience and contribute to the main arc of storytelling; so it should add value from that perspective if it's going to be part of the game in my opinion.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Of course. A full time job, a wife and not least two small kids. There's very little time. I'm very pleased every time I am able to finish a game at all.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I almost never 100% a game unless there's almost no side content. I usually 80-90% games. The amount hasn't changed over the years, I don't think

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I roll credits and i am done haha, unless it's got a reasonable platinum like spider-man, horizon or something like them.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I don't know if it's an age thing, but I'll be 50 this year and until about 6 months ago I'd be buying games regularly and playing through them. Since then I don't really play all that much. I'll play online most days with my friends, but that's only 1 game.

I get excited for new games, just not when I'm actually playing them. I've platinumed Borderlands 2 4 times and done virtually everything there is to do, but B3 was a play through and I've barely touched it since. Days Gone was an hour and then I put it away. Forza H4 was a lil longer but not played anywhere near as much as Forza H3.

There could be a number of factors involved here though, depression, working hours, etc, so not sure if age is the reason.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I don't complete games 100% as often now but it's not because i'm older or i lack patience.
It's just now i actually have more money for games, so i actually have a backlog now. When i was a kid i had less games so i explored them a lot better and for a lot longer.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, absolutely. A combination of having too much other stuff to play and way too many games becoming bloated with mediocre content.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
the only games I've actually 100% are Okami and nearly every mario game. I can't think of any other games. most of the time I get bored and just give up

soul

Oct 27, 2017
I can barely find time to play games at this point, let alone 100% them.

I find myself buying games out of impulse, knowing very well I will never get to finish them at all, and might not get to play them at all.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Games were far easier and more fun to 100% in the past. These days it feels like a chore with how most devs design their games to have so much filler. Plus now there's more to play than ever cheaper than ever so there's zero reason for me to keep playing a game I'm not actively enjoying.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I find myself completing games more these days than I did when I was younger - ie getting to the end of the game.

But in terms of 100% competing and doing all side quests, finding all secrets, getting all trophies or whatever? Nah never been in to that, even for the games I love. Would rather put that time and effort in to a new experience.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
I've never really felt compelled to finish games, let alone 100% complete them. This hasn't changed with age. I'll drop a game in an instant if it's no longer holding my interest.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I almost never completed games 100%, but I think it's a given that rapidly increasing game availability (I'm 37, so hit NES in elementary school, and needless to say the industry has grown by leaps and bounds since) and being an adult with money to buy games has changed it a lot for me.

Used to be, I'd get a game a couple times a year, maybe one or two at birthday and Christmas. You pretty much had to play things 100% and then just do it all over again when you only had a couple games. Now, shit, I easily own dozens of games I'd probably love that I've never even installed. It's silly.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
I've hardly ever beaten a game unless it is a cinematic sort of game that actually has a linear path to the end. Most games nowadays are made to play endlessly so I'm not even sure what it means to finish those anymore.

broflap

Oct 25, 2017
I generally didn't care about 100% completions, but if I was playing games that I was about to finish and they were around 80% done, then i'd try to 100 it. Not so much anymore, too many responsibilities now as an adult, so I just finish the game and then move on(if i even get to finish them lmao)

Incubuster

Oct 30, 2017
The last game I was actually compelled to 100% was spider-man, I can't even remember before that, maybe uncharted 2. It takes a special game for me to want to go to those lengths.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Only game I ever completed was dark souls 1. Got the platinum in that game.

Never really cared for it.
One play through usually is more than enough.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Definitely less. I guess a combination of more money and less time means I don't have to save up to buy games anymore, I just buy them. As a kid I'd get maybe 2 games a year so I'd need to stretch them out by doing every single nook and cranny it has to offer. Not only do I not need to do that, I don't have the time to either. So a combo of them two things for me.

Some games I still 100% like I've gotten all the hidden weapons on the RE2 Remake, but that's a rarity.

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
They have became jobs. I don't have the time to beat the same game more than once (I usually select the hardest difficulty available, because nowadays: normal=easy), not to mention there are many good games to play or even replaying classics...

The last game I've played too much was Zelda BOTW (beaten every shrine and most of the decent side missions, back in 2017). And the last game I've 100% is Bloodborne back in 2016... mainly because it doesn't require you to finish the game more than once and it wasn't too bad and the game was fun!

Last edited:

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Normally I'd assume this was just me, but I'm confident that the underlying game design for many titles has shifted as I've gotten older, so I both care a bit less, but also what constitutes 100%ing a game has gotten more bloated/vapid/procedural. It's more and more busy-work, which is saying something for videogames.

Some of it's definitely just time/energy/focus, though.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly, the last few months have seen the most platinums and attempts to 100% games that I've ever had. I'm not sure why this is. I still tend to take the approach of not forcing myself to complete games if it feels like a big grind or makes the game no longer fun. For whatever reason, I've just been running into more games I enjoyed playing enough to keep going.

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
For me there just isn't time to slog through the entire game, which in most cases is not very enjoyable.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
I always liked the feeling of 100%ing a game, but I do it more now than when I was younger - I "blame" the trophy system.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I had to change my vote because I didn't realize 100% meant do absolutely everything. I've never done that. I had originally voted that I complete more games than I used to but for me that means getting to the end. Finding all the secrets and stuff is usually boring busy work for me. I'll look for them during the course of play but if I miss a few I don't stress about it.

EDIT: I guess maybe I did 100% games in the old days when they didn't have all the secrets and hidden stuff, definitely not in the past couple of generations though.

methodiczero

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
As i have gotten older, i have found it much easier to just sink into a game and stick with it until im done. I dont feel nearly as rushed now and im far more content to just take my time and have fun. Im currently 46hrs into AC: Odyssey and i am just gonna keep going

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Absolutely... I don't have time for all these great games so 99% of them never get to be 100% completed.

Most of the time I do story and side objectives.

My only 100% game in the last 3 years was Control

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Way less now. Way more busy + back in the day when I got a game it was like a fucking religious experience, and I knew I wouldn't get another until christmas/my next birthday. That means MONTHS of my focus being on one or two games at a time.

If a modern game is able to grab me enough that I feel compelled to get 100%, it's an all time great in my book.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
If by 100% you mean beating then no I still beat about the same amount of games. If you're talking about those useless achievements and such then it still hasn't changed cause I never do that.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
the last and only time i attempted to fully complete a game was far cry 3, and it just didn't happen. close though, that game just kinda hooked me.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
In my early 20s, once I got back into console gaming with the original Xbox, I'd buy basically every game that caught my eye. Many/most of them I never played to completion. I was really only capable of focusing on one game at a time, and I'd spend little-to-no time on my backlog because something shiny and new would always be coming out.

I changed those bad habits to a certain extent with the next generation. I wouldn't allow myself to have a backlog (well, outside of the floodgates opening around my birthday/Christmas). I made it a point to get to the end of most (but not all) of the games I played.

But it really wasn't until my mid-to-late 30s where I started to be die-hard about it. With the exception of ZombiU, I went back and finished every game that gen that I'd started and hadn't finished. I started chasing achievements and trophies. I don't feel some psychological compulsion to platinum or 1000/1000 my games, but if it's feasible/enjoyable for me, I'll do my best. Open world games prey on my weakness, so I almost always 100% them. Maybe I won't get all the achievements, but if there's an upgrade I can get or an icon I can clear off the map, I'll do it.

So, yeah, I'm far more likely to 100% a game at 41 :p than I was, say, 20 years ago. Heck, or even 10 years ago.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I just sort of...stop. I'll play a game, love every minute of my time with it, and just not finish. I believe it was Tim Rogers who said that as he's gotten older he has played so many games in his life that he only needs a few hours to determine if he liked it. I agree wholeheartedly. Last game I saw through to 100% was Fallen Order.

Aria

Nov 21, 2019
I barely have the time to complete the story of a game let alone devote the time to 100% one.

On the flip side I do feel I'm getting more value for money with games taking longer to complete.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
As a kid, I was often looking to 100% games I owned, but nowadays, I can't even imagine doing that for my entire backlog.

A game nowadays has to be engaging enough for me to consider doing so, that and not being a grind to 100% in the first place.

Jun 1, 2018
Seattle, WA
Way less now than when I was a kid. It's a mix of not enough time, and a backlog of what seems like constantly good shit to play. I get FOMO hard. I also can only really play one game at a time, and I have to see it to the end before I jump to the next. Can't have three games going at the same time like I used to.

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I don't play games or ever have played games to 100% them. Maybe because I never really cared about Achievements or Trophies.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
If 100% means the platinum trophy: I never cared about that. But I am doing stuff like question marks and sidecontent a lot more now I get older.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
I miss the days where beating a game was it. I kind of can't stand having to collect a million random artifacts or complete all these side quests to really 100% beat the game.

That's one thing I don't like about games these days: the baked in fluff to extend a game's replay value or pad its initial playthrough time.

I appreciate aspects that add to the experience and contribute to the main arc of storytelling; so it should add value from that perspective if it's going to be part of the game in my opinion.

While I do complete the padding more often than not, I strongly agree with this sentiment.

It usually makes me happy when a game isn't overburdened with menial looting or checkbox completion. Extra content is one thing but sometimes enough is enough.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I usually dont have time to dedicate to the stupid little bullshit you have to do to get 100%. I usually beat the main missions and most/all of the side missions and leave it at that. I don't think I have ever really cared about it. Well, maybe for metroidvanias but I feel that is kind of an outlier