• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you finish games to 100% completion more or less now than you did when you were younger?

• I 100% complete games less now than I did when I was younger

Votes: 635 54.1%
  • I 100% complete games about the same now as I did when I was younger

Votes: 132 11.3%
  • I 100% complete games more now than I did when I was younger

Votes: 157 13.4%
  • I've never 100% completed a game

Votes: 249 21.2%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
I don't fully complete a game in the fact that I do every side quest or whatever for achievements or trophies but I do more quests than when I was younger and I'd just basically plow through the game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
ABSOLUTELY. When I was a kid I was OBSESSED with min-maxing every single game I played. Leveling every character to 99, beating every boss, etc. My Chrono Trigger save file has 15 NG+ clears on it, as an example.

Nowadays, I get maybe two platinum trophies a year. If that. Last year, I think the only one I got was Fallen Order, and I got that ON January 1st of this year.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
the only game that i can remember ever 100%'ing was gran turismo 2, and that game had a bug where your completion percentage got stuck at 97.8% or something like that. I was 12. i couldnt imagine caring enough to 100% anything these days. trophies and achievements do nothing for me, really could not care less about those. i play games how i want to play them and at my own pace and ill stop when im no longer enjoying it.

Deleted member 51306

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Yes do to time. I never did it with games that I wasn't super into. But now being older married with kids, it's rare that I get to. I've been chipping away at the strawberries on Celeste but Idk if I'll ever get it done.

Okada

Nov 8, 2017
Definitely much less now that I'm older. I used to persevere through a game to 100% even if I'd stopped really enjoying it whereas these days time is too precious and I'll just move on.

Jun 23, 2019
Unless I really enjoy a game, not happening. These games are already long enough and full of chores that I don't need to play for 100+ hours trying to 100%. Now I just go through the story and I'm done.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Only game I've done this for in the past few years is Bloodborne, and aside from a few Chalice dungeons it was fun the entire way through.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup l still buy games but I'm lucky if I finish the story. Bought Kakarot at launch and have probably been able to play 2 or 3 hours maybe. Just don't have the time I used to when I was younger and my backlog is slowly growing. I've been meaning to start God of War since launch but still haven't 🙁

Jun 20, 2018
I've never really done that, but I probably do far less side stuff in games now. There are always exceptions. I'm playing Hitman and happily replaying every level to try and get most of the challenges done, but that's sort of how it was intended to be played.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Me from 5 to 11

- played games on easiest level
- never 100%ed anything
- played co op
- loved talking about video games
- played games to enjoy them
- didn't care about story

Me from 12 to 29

- played on hard
- 100% or nothing
- clearing backlog for the sake of it, enjoyment not a priority
- cared about story
- every game needed to have a deep meaning or theme
- played alone

Me today
- enjoys games on easy levels
- couldn't care less about 100%

I guess I'm a kid again

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I've never been compelled to 100% a game. I maybe finish a smaller percentage than in the past, but that's just because I can afford most of the games I'm interested in playing relative to the past.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
I do 100% them way less but I don't attribute it to age as much as time constraints/responsibilities and having a massive backlog compared to when I was younger.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I try to complete games that I like, but I have no problem dropping them if I get bored. Game length is usually more of a factor rather than the content. If a game takes me more than a week to beat than I lose interest pretty fast.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I don't have the time to 100% every game these days.

Example, I 100% Castlevania:SotN, but only played Bloodstained:RotN until I got the best ending.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
I'm only 24 but with college and a part time job I simply don't have the time to 100% games anymore and only play till I am content nowadays.

I also find going for 100% in most games to be pretty boring.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's an argument to be made that achievements have incentivised dev's to put a lot more tedious bullshit in games just to pad out the achievements and thus the 100%

Oct 29, 2017
100%ing a game is super tedious. I'm at 98% on both Bloodborne and Spiderman and that's the closest I have ever gotten.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe? I only really go for the 100% if it's a game I love and I have the motivation to do it. I haven't been doing it lately because I'm trying to clear out my backlog.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
You haven't 100%'ed a game until you're the world's #1 player in all online modes, have all the speed run records, and have reverse engineering the game and ported it to multiple platforms as well as developed fan spinoff games. Just so you know.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I remember I'd used to 100% many games as a kid/teenager and then replay them again shortly after and do it again. Even RPGs like KotOR and Mass Effect, the latter of which I played 13 times and even did the boring-ass mineral deposits quests and the like.

But it's takes a lot out of me to even beat games nowadays. And just yesterday I was cleaning out FF12 before the final area/boss. I had done 42 hunts and decided "nah fuck it" and just beat the game instead. And it's likely that I won't ever go back and finish those hunts.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I used to want to platinum every good game I came across when I was younger but now I could give two shits about trophies & achievements. I realised a while ago that forcing myself to 100% games takes the enjoyment out of them, so now I only ever 100% complete a game if I'm enjoying it so much that I'm naturally completing it without thinking about it. (i.e BOTW, Spyro Reignited, etc.)

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Way less. Not that I 100% too much before.

And actually, a game that is too big is a no purchase for me nowadays (or wait for deep, deep sale, so I can at least try it).

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Yes. I realized I'm not eternal and time is a precious thing which shouldn't be wasted on hamster wheels.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I'm a working adult. Just finishing a game is good enough for me. Plus my backlog is ridiculous. Ain't nobody got time for 100%.

Yes. I realized I'm not eternal and time is a precious thing which shouldn't be wasted on hamster wheels.

It's this. if I can finish a game in 30 hours but getting to "100%" takes something absurd like 60-80 due to sidequests or just ridiculous grinding, why would I bother when I can just do other things?

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I can afford more games than I can invest the time in to beat. If I'm not having fun I move on. I never had that choice as a kid.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not counting visual novels, I've never 100% a game.

I just do my best to explore in the games and complete whatever content that I am interested in.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Funnily enough I do it now (in my early 30s) more than I ever did before. Which still isn't a lot, but I've come across more games that convince me to keep playing these days. Like completing Spider-Man's story (DLC and all) wasn't enough. I wanted to get the platinum. Had achievements existed when I was a kid I still probably wouldn't have done it.

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Yep, demands too much time/dedication and life sadly (or not?) establishes other priorities as you grow older so it's all about making choices etc etc but it's alright I guess.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I actually possess a more focused mind now to actually complete games, but have been way more selective in what I play.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
No... pretty much never. Hell I pretty much main path things for the most part. There are some expeditions though. (RDR2)