• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nil'giccas

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly go alone nowadays, though in the past I always used to go with friends... But now my friends live in different countries mostly and we have developed some different tastes too.

I'm a big Babymetal fan and all of my friends dislike them so I've seen them 4 times alone, once with my teenager cousin who is into them and once with friends when they were playing with Red Hot Chili Peppers (I love RHCP too, so it was a double win for me). On the other hand I have a broader taste than many of my friends so I can go with them to see bands that they like and have fun, even though they are not my most favorite bands (for example System of a Down this last summer).

Coincidentally, this Saturday I'm gonna see Band-Maid alone too.

xinek

Oct 25, 2017
MN, USA
I have a couple of times and had fun. I would totally do it again. The biggest downfall is spending the entire time hoping I don't see anyone I recognize, since it's socially unacceptable to do things by yourself and the whole thing about feeling like I'd have to explain myself is just exhausting. Just say no to people.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Conflicting work schedules and a good portion of my friends having newborns have led to me doing this from time to time. Same goes for movies. This just inevitably happens as you get older, but even if that isn't the case, you shouldn't feel bad for going to things you enjoy by yourself.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I saw Manic Street Preachers in Seattle by myself years ago. None of my friends know who the band is and I wasn't missing the show since they hadn't been here in over a decade and probably would never be coming back.

Other than that, I always go with my wife or one of my best friends.

applejuice

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
I honestly prefer it. Don't have to nag my friends to buy their ticket or pay me back, or worry about them getting there on time and missing the opening act, and if they don't know the acts well I worry they aren't enjoying it. I saw Andrew McMahon at a festival and I cried when he played his old Something Corporate (I was emotional, ok) and my friend was like and went to buy a t-shirt. I like to dance, but get shy if I feel people are staring.

Of course, going with people who are happy to be there is also a treat in itself.

TheIcedP

Oct 27, 2017
I like to go to concerts by myself. One thing that I can't however do is go to the theatre by myself. I feel like every time I walk into the theatre I have to stick to bud or gf to unhinge my anxiety. Anybody who can go to the theatre by themselves are troopers and they have my respect.

Starfighter

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Sometimes, but I always end up meeting people I know at the concert. And many times the bands ARE my friends, so it all works out. :)

notsol337

Oct 25, 2017
I never do anything alone. Social anxiety just eats me alive. Lately I've been pushing myself to confront that feeling by doing things I like alone. It's liberating, and exhausting.

Easystride

Oct 27, 2017
All the time. I'm not going to miss a show just because I don't know anyone with the same musical taste as me. I know I would end up regretting not going in the event the band stops touring, doesn't play in such a small venue again, etc.

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Went to four shows this year - Weezer and Gorillaz with my friends and then Green Day and Kendrick Lamar alone.

I had a lot more fun going alone to be honest. I get self-conscious around my group of friends so I can't enjoy myself as much as I want to without the feeling of being judged. Also, I like being there pretty early and my friends don't enjoy linecon as much as I do, so there's that as well. Next year if something good is playing, I'll make the trip alone if I have to.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. It's lame to not attend a show just because you couldn't find someone to go with you. Missed out on a lot of great shows thinking that way, but I honestly enjoy going by myself now.

Cruncho

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
99% of the time I'll go alone. I never even thought it was a weird thing until I told people and their response was something like "..by yourself?!"

I'm there to see some bands I love, not to talk to my friends! I met up with another gaf/era member at Dillinger a week or two ago, and when they came out, I ditched him so fast to get into the mosh, hahaha.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm antisocial as fuck so I did it many times. When I didn't have a license not once I went to a concert that finished during the night and I waited around the streets until the morning to hop on a train to get home. Once I did for a concert that ended at midnight and the train was at 7, but at least it was in July. Once I did something similar in mid-December.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Almost every concert I go to I go solo dolo. And I go to concerts pretty dang often. I just don't have friends that have the same taste in music as I do. Ain't nothing wrong with it, everyone at the show is there for one reason and that's to see the artist perform, they don't care if you're alone or not.

Maple-Tech

Oct 27, 2017
All of the concerts I've gone to this year I've went by myself. As soon as the main act starts no one is talking so it isn't that big of a deal.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I went to my first concert solo this year. Ninja Sex Party up in Denver- had such a blast, I didn't mind being alone, I was singing along with everyone in the crowd, and had the time of my life- probably the best concert of my life so far.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
All the time. Most of the music is the type that friends or family wouldn't be into. Well, except for my sister and her husband who are way into rock (he's very much into punk), synth, and whatever so I took them last to a Tycho concert.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw Beyonce by myself last year. Originally I was supposed to go with someone else but ended up going alone. I don't really feel like it changed the experience tbh. All that matters is having fun, enjoying your favorite artist, and being in the moment. I'm going to be seeing Lana del Rey alone next year too.

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans
I've yet to go to a concert, but I'm pretty sure I'll go alone because nobody likes any of the music I like (barring old-school artists). I'd like to have company when it happens, but hey, I can't really plan for that.

brokenmachine

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've also used the meetup app to find people to go to concerts with. That being said I would usually just hang out before the show, and enjoy the actual show by myself.

Oct 25, 2017
I never have, but I don't think it would stop me if there was a show I really wanted to go to and I had nobody to go with.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't judge anyone for it but I feel like I'd get bored by myself. Unless it was a more chill band I really, really enjoy I usually would prefer to go with friends.

goodsines

Oct 28, 2017
Colorado
Its always better to go with friends in my opinion, but sometimes everyone's schedule just doesn't align. I'm actually at The Fest in Gainesville experiencing this now, heh.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
I strongly prefer going alone. I can get there when I want, stand where I want, leave early if I want, I don't have to yell in someone's ear between bands... I could go on.

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
All the time! I've actually met some of my best friends doing that

Kirenou

Oct 25, 2017
The only time I had company at a concert was when my sister took me to see Grizzly Bear 8 years ago. I've been flying solo ever since. I'm sure my sister would go with me but since we live in different cities now, it's not really possible. The whole thing with Chris Cornell has really beat it into my head how important it is to see your favs whenever you have the chance. I'm never gonna wait for anyone else to go with me.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah all the time

it depends on the show and what kind of crowd it's going to be but it's a lot of fun. I always end up meeting people around me.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I actually just went to my very first ever concert earlier this week, but no, I didn't go alone.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I have in the past. The way I see it is I never like yelling at someone or over the music to talk to someone so not much difference.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I've gone to concerts by myself in the past, but now I no longer go to concerts. Still occasionally go to the movies by myself though, as my wife hates the movie theater experience.

Uncle Death

Oct 28, 2017
http://DEEP-HELL.COM
Man what ass whack, concerts can be both good times and bad times weather you're by yourself or going with friends. As we all know, most folks alive will feel most alone when surrounded by their friends. It can be a better time to not invite anyone at all and try to meet some new ones to be around.

It's even better going to shows in towns you don't live in by yourself. One time I did that and watched a guy get stabbed in an alleyway. The band was some shitty high-school sounding metal band, but the venue was opened by a band that sounded like scott pilgrim having a midlife crisis. I went to that show alone and I only intensely regret every moment of doing it.

Sometimes you can take friends to shows and sometimes they fight the band. Don't do that! Have a good time. Usually I charge for this kind of advice but my show advice for this webforum comes completely free.

LOCK

Oct 25, 2017
I've had good and bad experiences alone and with friends.

Rather have at least 1 other person with me, but I'll go alone if the alternative is not going at all.

Oct 25, 2017
I usually go with friends, but I go to a lot of concerts so I've gone alone a couple times. 3 in total I believe. (Dipset Reunion Tour, Curren$y Green Christmas Tour and LongLiveA$AP Tour. Not really a big deal and I ended up seeing people I know there each time anyway.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
The only concert I went to in my life that I really wanted to go I went by myself.
Utada Hikaru in London, 2010.
I'm not big in concerts.

GreatestHits

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. I've seen Tool every time they've come to dfw since 2006. No one cares as much as me, and that's ok. Tool has become a lot more popular but I still don't have a community or a friend that wants to go like I do. So just enjoy being there, I think