• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
When my friends cant afford to go or cant go for whatever reasonnyeah.
I went to a festival alone and I was so focused on getting stage to stage I didnt care that I was alone.

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Oh this reminds, if you go to a metal concert, don't bring your belongings or you better have some very deep pockets.

Last concert I went to I wore some regular pants, I normally wear pants that have pockets with zippers so my things don't fall. Anyway, I'm going crazy in the moshpit and I fell, more like knocked over lol. A few minutes later I realized my phone was gone, it slipped out when I fell.

I asked around and luckily some girl found it and had it in her bag. Never again will I wear regular pants to a metal concert.

Nightcall

Oct 27, 2017
If it's a smaller venue or a more experimental or underground act, all the time, my wife and my friends are not really into most of the stuff I listen to.

For arena-type concerts or festivals, I will always go with friends though. But to be honest I don't really have the patience for those anymore. Rock is pretty dead, all we have are bands playing their greatest hits from 30 years ago.

Cbrun44

Will actually be going to my first solo show this Thursday... The Pharcyde here in Fremont / Seattle. Honestly seems pretty great and I'm looking forward to it.

I've never had an issue with doing things solo, whether it be eating out, going to movies, really anything. No one actually cares if you are alone or not.

never

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoy going to shows alone. It's relaxing and sometimes I even get to talk to cool people. When I was in college and I went to shows every week, I made a lot of friends this way.

Lateralus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I havent, but I would.

Luckily my GF is a champ and has sat on the sidelines plenty nights watching me act like a child again.

Last time was her snapchatting me pogo'ing and singing along to At The Drive In like I was 18 again. Her posting them up labeled "Boyfriend things"

Oct 27, 2017
I go to underground metal / EDM artists / bands all the time. I have a few friends that are down to go see the bigger acts, names, but I don't mind going alone. It can be fun with a friend, but it can be fun going alone as well when you don't have to worry about taking care of another person or having conversations / small talk. Smaller venues you can grab a seat somewhere and just chill, no need to mosh or get peer pressured.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd rather go with people, but I've gone to a couple myself (Ghost, Protomartyr).

Well...technically just Ghost. The Protomartyr one was a body-guarding gig.

Namiks

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have never been to a concert. It's just not my thing.

So, no.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Pretty consistently. Smaller bands that have smaller followings aren't going to interest most of my friends, so it doesn't really bother me.

Wierdly, the bigger a show is - the more uncomfortable I am with going solo. Saw Arcade Fire recently and had the time of my life - but I probably wouldn't have gone if I didn't have friends who were already fans. Same with LCD Soundsystem at Sasquatch.

Morgenstern

Oct 28, 2017
I used to go to concerts alone frequently before meeting my wife. As I was there for the music, it didn't bother me much if no one came along.

With that said, the idea of my wife not joining me for a concert kind of bothers me. Go figure.

Last edited:

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
Yeah it's a pretty frequent thing. It's slightly awkward but as soon as the show starts I just kinda lose myself to the energy of the music anyways so it's still a great experience.

As much as i wanna say something like "my friends just don't get my music tastes!" it's mostly because our schedules never seem to line up lol

Pent

Oct 27, 2017
I've never been to one by myself but wouldn't be opposed to it, especially if it's at a smaller venue

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
I met a really good friend at a show because we mutually had friends who didn't want to go. Shit is worth going if you're into the act.

I'm not nearly as self conscious about going alone now, though I do prefer having people to go with and share the experience.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I went to an Amity Affliction w/ Beartooth concert and an Against The Current concert by myself in the last 3 months. Loved them both, but I enjoy experiencing things by myself just fine. Many of my friends don't share my taste in music.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I've done it a few times, but all of those concerts were small, and I always end up socializing with other people at the bar afterwards.

I big concert? I would never do it.

notte

Oct 25, 2017
I used to, but I've sorta stopped. I find it to be an awkward experience every single time, no matter how good the music is. But Slowdive is playing here next month and I reaaaally don't want to miss them, so I guess I'll have to suck it up.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Went to a Gorillaz concert this month alone and had a blast. I'm an extrovert so I just talk to strangers and make friends there lol.

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
i would have easily been to 300+ "concerts" in my life (mostly hardcore punk) and went to 99% of them alone.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Never been to a show on my own before, because I can usually find some one to go with. There's definitely bands I would go to see on my own if no one else wanted to though.

element

Oct 27, 2017
I go to shows alone sometimes. I get free tickets a lot and feel I need to be a good business partner.

There are some shows that I get really anxious at and end up leaving after 20 or 30 mins. Though most shows I'll stick it out, but mostly hang out in the back.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I've been to plenty of concerts alone. Many times it's resulted in better experiences than when I go with big groups. It's very easy for me to let loose to my favorite music without too many people I know around me.

Ideally I would either go alone or with up to like.. 3 other people to a concert.

DJMicLuv

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have, but only on a few occasions when there wasn't another option and I just couldn't stand to not see the show. Strangely, though, two of my favourite times at a gig were on my own - Devo in London ten years ago and Bonzo Dog Band, also in London, a year before that which were thoroughly enjoyable even on my own. 99% of gigs, though, I was with someone else.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I would if I could. Perfume Genius was in Birmingham about a week ago and I'm sad I missed it.

Exis

Oct 25, 2017
I have to otherwise I never would go do anything. It used to be how I met people but less and less that seems to actually happen.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
I've gone alone but it's kind of boring. HOWEVER, I like hard rock/metal and I live in a very Country/Pop music loving area. The 10k seat arena in the area can't sell out for my kind of acts. So I need to drive 2-2.5 hours to a bigger city to see a band I like.
I'm nearing 40 and I just can't bring myself to drive 5 hours (round Trip) in 1 night by myself on a work night. I had A Perfect Circle tickets earlier this year but I ultimately decided not to go because my friend pulled out at the last minute (I couldn't even give away my other ticket). If I go to an out of town concert I'll either go with my husband and spend the night and go out afterwards or I just won't go.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After missing Motörhead, Dio and James brown because friends backed out, I just go on my own if it's a show I want to see.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I can't remember the last time I went to a concert alone. In fact, the only solo concert experience I have was when me and my friends got separated early on because there were so many people.

I don't have a problem making friends though so I would probably be fine if I went all by myself.

muddymindPT

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Nope, I always go with at least one friend. With that said, If there's a concert I really really want to go and no one's available then I'm sure I'll go by myself.

Gav

Oct 27, 2017
UK
All the time.
I go to at least 1 trance event per month, sometimes 2 or 3. A few years ago, id go to maybe 1 or 2 a year, when those friends that are interested in it wanted to go, too.

As i was missing so many good nights, i started going on my own maybe 3 years ago. I have met so many incredible people at these events & festivals. Many im now closer with than the friends i grew up with.
Sometimes i go to events with them now, sometimes i meet them there, sometimes i still go on my own if none of them are there. I talk to new people every time.

I should have started it years ago.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Sure. Back in the day when I was more of a concert going fellow rather than a bloated husk of a man I would go alone. No one I knew liked Tori Amos. Off I popped - over 20 years ago that was lol. Also no one I knew liked The Super Furry Animals. Same deal. That's the only ones I remember but yeah no stigma - if you want to go see someone and on your own is how it goes that is fine. Seeing movies on your own is also fine. What I'm saying is you are worth it. Treat yourself.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do and have. I want to go to the GnR concert in Toronto today. But I'm poor. These tickets are $350!!!!

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I actually like going to shows by myself. You can just change your plans on a whim and it doesn't matter at all. Want to leave the venue and go grab a sandwich next-door? No one's stopping you. Decide you're bored and want to leave mid set? Have it at my guy. You can also weasel your way up towards the front much much easier since you're only taking up room for one. I feel like too much of a jerk to do it when I'm even with one other person, but by myself I can position myself almost anywhere in the venue without having to be a rude-ass, it's great.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
As a teenager, I always went to rock concert with friends. I had one friend who enjoyed rushing the stage with me and surviving mosh pits.

In my mid-life years, I don't have anyone to go to concerts with anymore, nor do I know anyone who enjoys the same music I like. So I go alone. Last year I saw Babymetal, which was the first show I attended in over 15 years. It was probably the best show I ever experienced and I'm glad I went. I was only a little concerned that if I got hurt, no one would have my back. But I've always managed to be safe.

Earlier this year, I saw Metallica alone. I'm not naturally a sociable person, but I had some fun interactions with people trying to photobomb my selfies. And in the lull before Metallica took the stage, I talked with some dudes who we also loners, and had the same idea to move closer up front. So when they banded to make the move, they pulled me along with them, which was really cool. We were close enough to catch guitar picks that the band threw in the crowd.

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
Not if I can help it. I did it a bit when I was in college and had access to small clubs. These days though I either make special plans with friends or bring the wife.

Kinda like seeing a movie by yourself. Nothing inherently wrong with it, but it just feels weird.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, sure. I got a prety weird music taste compared to my friends, so I usually go alone. I also have no problem going to music festivals alone, though I usually encounter tons of people I know while there, so I always end up in a group.