• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Satanael

Oct 27, 2017
It really depends on the concert. Leonard Cohen was amazing being alone, but The Cure was so much fun with the wife.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
All of my friends listen to jam bands and bluegrass. I LOVE jam bands and bluegrass, but I also like prog rock, prog metal, smooth-jazz electronica (somehow), etc., so I sometimes have to go to concerts alone. My wife helps when she can, but heavy bands are the line. I just saw Elder at a small club in Atlanta last Thursday. It was fantastic. It would have been WAY too loud to talk with any friends who might have come along.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very rarely, and only if they play in my city (don't have a car and didn't get my bike license yet). I usually have someone to go with, either family or friends. Last one was Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) a couple of weeks ago.

Cocamantis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I go to concerts and movies by myself since forever. Obviously not all the time. I also enjoy go to bars alone and drunk tweet silly and harmless stuff.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm going to be going on my own for the first time next year, I'm also travelling to another country so am pretty nervous but I am also excited as I don't usually talk to my friends once the show starts anyway!

Oct 27, 2017
before having met my s/o I would go to concerts by myself if I couldn't find anyone else interested
tera melos w/ pinback
behold... the arctopus
allan holdsworth
dysrhythmia
surf curse

and probably a couple others, but now we pretty much go to each one together

YukidaruPunch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Salvador, Brazil
I rarely go to concerts anymore, but every once in a while I do because I know I'll find someone there. I live in a big city, but these kinds of attractions always bring the same crowd.

It's actually a pretty cool feeling because you don't feel too attached to anyone; you can jog back and forth between separate groups of friends as your own leisure. And then you hitch a ride with someone you've just met or something. I like it.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on how bad I want to see the band/group/person and what scheduling is like. I prefer to go with a homie, but if I really want to see someone I will def go alone. When I was younger I always wanted crew for everything. Now it's kind of relaxing to do a thing alone. Be it dinner, a movie, a show or something else completely.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Have done a few times and, aside from the first time doing it, I couldn't care less. It's not like I want to talk during songs anyway.

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
It's like a movie. I'm there for the show, not necessarily the people around me. Is it nice to share the experience with someone? Yes, but it's not mandatory.

Puweyxil

Oct 28, 2017
I saw Primus by myself back in 2012 when they were touring on Green Naugahyde. I paid extra for a balcony seat with waitress service and pre-paid drinks all night. I took a cab both ways. They had no opening act and did two full sets. I had a blast and would definitely go to another show by myself sometime.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
I've never gone to a concert because my brother's band practiced in our room, so I've damaged my ears enough lol

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
I go to venues solo but festivals with friends. I prefer venues solo because picking people up or getting picked up just to walk in together is such a hassle

Oct 28, 2017
I go to concerts alone every so often. Why not? I'm there to enjoy the music. It's not like concerts are a really social experience. You can't talk during them and it's so crowded you can barely communicate. Same with movies.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I go solo on a consistent basis; It's one of my favorite past times and I generally find it a richer experience since you've got a bit more mobility and you don't have to worry about someone's comfort (I have had three people pass out on me at shows for going a bit too hard pre-gaming before or general bad physical luck).

Funny enough I have 6 days of shows in a row later this week (half of them is a 'final shows' residency of a band I love, Swans) and I will be going with someone for only two out of the six and I am looking forward to it.

Birdito

Oct 30, 2017
I'll happily go alone, not just because my friends and family don't enjoy the same music, but I'm not there to chat, just to take in the show.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
More often than not. I'd much rather go with someone who also liked the music, but that requires friends and stuff, so solo it usually is.

potam

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hadn't before I moved out to Denver, and I don't plan on doing it again.

Went to kdot in July because my gf bought me a ticket, and it was miserable. Then I did gorillaz (I figured I'd get one shot to see them live, plus it was at red rocks), and it was cold and rainy and miserable (got to see vince tho).

anxiety sucks

SleazyC

Oct 26, 2017
US of A
All the time. Definitely a lot of fun to go with friends but if I really want to see someone and can't find anyone to join me I'd rather see it alone than miss out on the experience.

Oct 27, 2017
I started out going to shows by myself, but now I drag my fiancee along if she's available. It's an excuse for both of us to get out of the house. The hardest part about going to a show alone now is that I live outside of the city, and it's hard to hang out alone all day until the main act starts at 9 PM or whatever.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Depends on if I know someone else who likes the same band. First show I went to by myself (and my first general admission show) was The Offspring earlier this year. The mosh pit spread quickly, sucked me in, and was a literal pain to escape from (still had to watch my head for crowd surfers later on). But I managed to hold my spot at the front just long enough to get through All I Want. It was a real treat. ^_^

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Pearl Jam came to town, ticket sales start at 10am. I'm there, right on the dot, I'm ready.
"Four tickets please", I said.
"Eat shit", said the Master of Tickets
"Umm, okay how about two tickets", I replied.
"Umm, okay how 'bout eating this shit", said Ticketmaster
"I might as well try for one ticket...", I sheepishly say
"SURE, why didn't you ask that in the first place, here you go!"

What was going to do, not go to the concert?

Daeda

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Yeah, all the time. I used to live quite far (by Dutch standards) from common venues so trying to get someone to tag along turned into not going myself. At some point I just went and with no one around you have to party twice as hard. Nowadays I go to so many concerts that I don't even ask people anymore. Still single though, so who knows what a future SO might change in that regard.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been to one concert in my life, and went with two friends. It was kind of awkward.

Going to one alone this Sunday. Will see how that goes.

Charlie1701

Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes. If it's a relatively unknown band that I really want to see and no friends are interested, then sure. I'm lucky, lots of cool venues where I live.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do now. After a year/two ago when I wanted to go see Chris Cornells solo album acoustic tour, nobody wanted to go so I missed it. I regret not going and now if there's a band I really want to see, I make sure to go. Regardless if I'm alone or not.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find trying to be social at shows really difficult and draining, and I actually prefer to go alone. But I inevitably see someone I know at every show anyways, haha.

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate doing it, but sometimes. Like I couldn't find anyone else willing to shell out $300 for a Rolling Stones ticket a few years ago, so I went solo.

I also saw the Cure on three consecutive nights (they were featuring a different album each night, which is why I did that, basically Disintegration, Wish and Bloodflowers in rotation). Went solo for the first two, and my girlfriend at the time joined me for the third night.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
I've missed a ton of shows because I couldn't find anyone to go with. Now I'm like fuck it and able to book tickets for whatever time and date that suits me. I do find large arenas more awkward than smaller venues though. I also wouldn't buy solo seated tickets.. It has to be standing.

Dubloon7

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I will be seeing A Perfect Circle in Seattle, alone, in December. I don't care. That was the first rock band I always listened to, and grew up with. None of my friends listen to that band, and the majority of the fans there are going to be TOOL fans.

PreeminentDB

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Joe Jackson at the Beacon in NY a decade ago. I bought 2 tickets, but couldn't find anyone to go with me. I was stressed before I got inside, but the show ended up being great.

FĂ«anor

Oct 27, 2017
I go about 50/50 split between going alone or inviting a friend, well this year anyways. Years past, its been mostly a solo effort.

Tareskog

Oct 30, 2017
Trondheim
Yeah. Think I've been to more concerts alone during the last years than with friends. I'm more into extreme metal, but my friends are more into prog rock and jazzy stuff. Not that I dislike prog metal, but it's way harder for them to join me for a black metal concert.

I don't mind it though. I'm there to enjoy the music and the band, both to talk with my friends. Same goes for cinema.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I go alone a lot. I have some...social issues, needless to say.

The bigger the show, the less depressing it is -- which is weird because I don't like crowds otherwise.

Like saw Green Day alone on a whim and it was amazing. Maybe a little bummer between acts, but whatever. Go to many smallish club shows of 1,000 people, give or take. Those can be as depressing as hell. This summer I went to see Dashboard Confessional and All American Rejects and these people were like "Are you having fun? We noticed you were all alone, yet still seeming to enjoy it." Ugh. "still?"

I kind of wanted to die right then. (Though the show was amazing.)

novashibe

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
I usually go with friends, but when I went to see Power Quest yesterday I couldn't get anyone to go with so I flew solo.

Was really cool though, as I was standing in the queue, some random dude came and chatted to me, then we involved more random people and eventually we had a little group of five of us who had all come up on our own. Cloakroom was closed and I had my Switch in my bag, so we actually benefitted too! "Hey, if we put all of our bags in one place, five pairs of eyes keeping an eye on them will definitely be safer!"

Great night and met some cool people!