• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
in a lot of interviews he talks about how he hasn't read through it in years, that he doesn't have the book at his house and that people took the wrong message for it, we know that he has been critical of superheroes and I think in his mind he saw Watchmen as being the "final critique of superheroes", but people took it as just a darker view of superheroes

this is what he says recently

""What are these movies doing other than entertaining us with stories and characters that were meant to entertain the 12-year-old boys of 50 years ago? Are we supposed to somehow embody these characters? That's ridiculous. They are not characters that can possibly exist in the real world. Yes, I did Watchmen. Yes, I did Marvelman. These are two big seminal superhero works, I guess. But remember: Both of them are critical of the idea of superheroes. They weren't meant to be a reinvigoration of the genre." "

https://www.cbr.com/alan-moore-criticizes-modern-superhero-stories-as-unhealthy-escapism/

I always feel like he wanted Watchmen to be viewed, metaphorically as the final superhero story, the ultimate deconstruction, but people kept on pumping superhero stories out after that, and it influenced a darker look at it something that he did not want

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It sounds like he thought that people read comics for be enlightened. While that is definitely a portion of the reader base, a lot of people read comics for less intellectual reasons.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone like anything they wrote over 30 years ago?

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He thought he was going to force comics to change for better, then saw people take the wrong lessons and influence the grimdark 90's shit that was all surface level, so he went on to roll it back either with Awesome Comics, 1963, or America's Best to try to undo it.

I can't believe he wanted Superhero stories to end, and modern Moore is just comes off as some bitter asshole who I'd rather not pay attention to how he views events these days. At the time he said he wanted to purpose questions for other writers to fix and change to the genre, and then yeah after they only did the dark to be dark shit, he went all 60's comic send up for a decade.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Alan Moore hates shit, but oddly enough keeps selling the rights to his shit

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
CarefreeParallelBooby-max-1mb.gif

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This is a VERY good question.

He just seems like a perennially miserable and bitter person.

I assume he cashed the checks though.

OP
OP
ThousandEyes

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
Does anyone like anything they wrote over 30 years ago?
well its not novel related, but for example I know Michael Mann is still infatuated with the characters and universe of "Heat" that he has a picture of Neil on his twitter banner and is writing a prequel/sequel novel coming out soon

Oct 27, 2017
Alan Moore enjoys being a contrarian and complaining. It's one of his greatest achievements to create something then get to bitch about others ruining it for the rest of his life.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Alan Moore doesn't like Killing joke as well or really he doesn't think it's that good and wouldn't have crippled Barbara if he knew it would be canon

Alan is open how he hates that people took the wrong lessons from and that fucked up the 90s

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watchmen's influence on turning comics into titangstblood is severely overrated. There's precisely a three year period in the nigh century of the modern cape comic where "X-treme" was a thing, and we still haven't stopped whining about it while writing shit like Heroes in Crisis.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I think Alan Moore regrets almost everything he has ever done. He just seems like he hates everything

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Guy is just joyless and miserable. I'm not trying to diminish his work, because some of it is among my favorites, but there's no denying the guy just wants to shit all over everything.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps? But a lot of artists dislike or shun early work much to the dismay of fans. It makes sense though. You change as a person. I'm not the same person I was a decade ago. Not even close. Now multiply that by three.

Vinci

Oct 29, 2017
If people would stop asking him about it, I imagine he has otherwise moved on with his life.

OP
OP
ThousandEyes

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
do you guys think Rorschach was a white supremacist?

the tv show that is coming out, takes place 30 years after the comics has a white supremacist cult based around Rorschach

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I think he more regrets everything that came after. And not just the adaptations or sequels, but also how it changed comics.

He and artist Dave Gibbons have been saying for years that they were uncomfortable with the way Watchmen influenced comics and that people took the wrong sort of lessons from it. Like everything becoming really dark and miserable for a while after. Gibbons has said that they actually felt guilty about that influence and that they weren't trying to sway the medium in that direction at all.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

the tv show that is coming out, takes place 30 years after the comics has a white supremacist cult based around Rorschach
Which makes sense considering he's basically has a lot of the right wing politics Moore hates and is a bigot

I don't remember he was a white supremacist but him inspiring ones makes sense

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

In the actual source material? No, he's a bitter, jaded, extremely mentally unwell individual mainly due to sever childhood trauma. But he's absolutely a bigot and could potentially become a white supremacist.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure he regrets not managing to keep the rights, at the very least.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If he thought people would stop making superhero comics after Watchmen.....well then he was stupid.

Mazzo

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I think it's great that he is critical of superhero stories but that doesn't mean the genre cannot be reinvented or elevated in other ways.