• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I typically dislike the following effects and disable them whenever possible:
1. Chromatic abberation
2. Lens distortion
3. Film grain

I mean, it's not like the game was shot with an actual camera so I don't get why they simulate these physical characteristics of an actual camera lens.

Jubbe

Oct 27, 2017
I always turn them off. I also turn motion blurring off. I don't really understand why any of these things are there. Just let me see everything as clearly as possible.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed some games implementing sharpness lately (Anthem, Division 2) thankfully you can turn it off, but why, why, why is it on in the first place.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I've honestly never noticed chromatic abberation while playing a game.

Only when taking a screenshot and zooming in to view it under a microscope do I even begin to slightly notice it.

As for film grain, some games do it well (God of War), while others do it poorly.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed film grain in Mass Effect (1) and Kane & Lynch 2. Everywhere else it's been pretty bad, IMO.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I usually dislike it.

I've honestly never noticed chromatic abberation while playing a game.

Only when taking a screenshot and zooming in to view it under a microscope do I even begin to slightly notice it.

You play Bloodborne and you will notice it like a motherfucker. It's hideous.

Another good way to see the difference is switching it on and off in Dying Light.

One thing I like about Dying Light. It's got both chromatic aberration and film grain but settings to turn 'em off. Devs, if you're gonna do this shit, give us the options to turn it off.

Oct 28, 2017
I like it if done a certain way.
SSX3-Screenshot-01.jpg

51TS4G6Y9PL.jpg

spiderman-ps4_7.jpg

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
It entirely depends on what the game is trying to accomplish.

Take for example the Resident 2 Noir costume. For those unaware it also gives you the option to make the game black and white and gives it a sort of film grain effect to give the illusion you are playing a 1940's Noir horror film. This was a by product of very old cameras to recapture the time period and recording method from that era.

Typically they are basically cinematography things. Since these effects have more emphasis in film, so when a game uses these things they are more or less emulating it.

There are things that are completely unnecessary though. Case in point Chromatic Aberration. This is a actually a flaw when a camera lens fails to properly focus causing colored edges. It's one thing to add an effect like film grain to emulate a time period of classic films, there is no reason to use CA's color bleeding.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Chromatic aberration and film grain need to die. I don't understand the reason to put these things in games and hate when I can't disable them.
Every effect but these two I'm OK with them.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I always turn off CA if possible.

As for film grain, I like it because it gives the game some character/style. For example, Mass Effect wouldn't be the same without film grain.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
No.

I haven't turned off any setting of the sort. Although I can see some cases where there's too much going on.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate badly executed motion blur like REmake2 and chromatic aberration. Film grain and good blur is okay to me.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I dislike them "strongly" but I usually turn them off, if that makes sense. That is, they don't bother me too much, but I tend to prefer the way the game looks without them on.

Except for Earth Defense Force. I friggen' hate the "Camera Effect" and "Screen Shake" option and if I couldn't turn them off I definitely would play the game a lot less.

naitosan

Oct 28, 2017
I like those effects when it's done right. What I really hate is, fake bloom like in Prince of Persia: Sand of Time. That was the worse. I don't mind real time bloom like in Final Fantasy 13, that actually looks great.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I disable Chromatic abberation whenever possible. It's probably one of my least fave graphical effects yet numerous games have it and some do it too much.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
This ain't quite the same but it's annoying in third person games when they add water droplets to the camera if you swim. Why...

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Film grain is fine for horror games and that's pretty much it. I still prefer it off overall though.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm cool with all of those types of effects when they're used tastefully.

If not, give us the option to switch them off and everyone wins.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Lens flare is really the only one that annoys me, since almost no one seems to know how to use it.

Lens distortion is the opposite - I want to see it used waaaay more.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
You play Bloodborne and you will notice it like a motherfucker. It's hideous.

That's actually the game I was thinking about. I have the platinum in Bloodborne and have finished the DLC. Over several hundred hours in the game.

I. DO. NOT. NOTICE. IT.

(Yes, people have shown me the famous screenshot where you zoom in on the metal fence posts, and only then, when zoomed in on a screenshot, can I even begin to barely see it.)

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's actually the game I was thinking about. I have the platinum in Bloodborne and have finished the DLC. Over several hundred hours in the game.

I. DO. NOT. NOTICE. IT.

(Yes, people have shown me the famous screenshot where you zoom in on the metal fence posts, and only then, when zoomed in on a screenshot, can I even begin to barely see it.)

It's essentially why the environments look so blurry. It may be hard to see for you because it's how the game looks naturally, but I assure you it there was a way to turn it on and off in the game, you will notice the difference.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Chromatic aberration can fuck off. Sun glare is fine if done right. HATE that shit in battlefield. "Hey lets put dirt and water and sunlight on the screen like the player is wearing goggles on top of the screen turning red when you lose health!" Can't see shit half the time in that game. IF Bloodborne allowed you to turn it off the game would look sooo much cleaner.

Rathorial

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, especially chromatic aberration. Only game where it has been ok was Alien Isolation because it's recreated that old movie experience...but most AAA games just throw in those effects, they add nothing, and only hurt image quality to me.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Chromatic aberration is my most hated effect this gen. It can be done moderately well, but 90% of the time it's just slapped on haphazardly to intensify the image, and it gives me a damn headache. Even worse when developers don't implement an option to disable it (looking at you Tekken 7).

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
MGSV cracks me up with its overuse of lens flare.
Like random character pulls out a knife. *dramatic lens flare*

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I mean, obviously games aren't shot with actual cameras (FMVs mutter something under their breath) but these effects are employed for stylistic effect rather than realism... unless the game camera is canonically depicting the view from an actual camera in the game world (i.e. CamSpy in Perfect Dark, videotapes in RE7), in which case it's for both style and realism.

So nah, I don't mind 'em. I do think some of these effects are certainly used haphazardly though... when a certain visual effect is in vogue, it'll often wind up getting used in games that it makes very little aesthetic sense for.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, I think they're all great.

I'm totally for people who want to simply turn this sort of stuff off. However, I think it's pretty lame to always go into a game with the mindset of turning these effects off without even experiencing them first. At least give this stuff a chance before completely shutting it down. Developers have a reason in utilizing these effects, and not every game's use of film grain for example is going to be terrible. Some of the greatest games of all time use these effects. It's usually just one or two games with bad implementation that sours the effect for all other games.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
They are all horrible and ruin the picture quality. This isn't film, stop trying to throw in shitty effects that don't belong, especially chromatic aberration which is an abomination.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Unless its a really bad implementation, I keep everything on.

Per Object Motion Blur....Fuck yes!
Chromatic Aberration....Fuck yes, just dont make the whole screen a rainbow.
Flares....Fuck yes!
Film Grain....Fuck yes!

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
CA is usually used and implemented really badly. (just moved RBG separated distance from center of screen, they need to blend for it to be half decent.)
Could be nice if used in certain scenes to enhance them, perhaps looking through security cameras and so on.

Videofeed problems fit in cases when there is feed to disrupt.

Dither is essential to get good quality image as bit depth of output image is just not enough.
Film grain can be good if done properly and can be good when mimicking low light handling of an eye.

Vignetting I do not like, at least the usual implementation.
Would be interesting to see implementation in which the reverse would be true for low light areas, just like eye works.
So things in middle you want to see sharp, but it's too dark to see.
Edges are blurry, yet more sensitive to light and you can actually see into shadows better.

Bloom/Glare/Flares are essential to have some visible indication of light power higher than light and in comparison to average of the scene.

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I will always disable or mod out chromatic aberration, vignetting, lens flare, and screen effects like a 'dirty lens' when possible.

Film grain generally doesn't bother me, but it depends on the implementation.
In Resident Evil 2, the 'film noise' option is used to dither the output, so disabling it severely reduces image quality.
The output would ideally be dithered regardless of that setting, but I can see why it would be done in a single processing step.

film-noise-9qkh3.gif

There's a lot of banding/posterization in the shadows with the film noise option disabled (the image was brightened to make the difference more obvious).
Some games manage to implement film grain in a way that does nothing to improve image quality, and only adds noise on top of an image with banding, which does little to help.

I've noticed some games implementing sharpness lately (Anthem, Division 2) thankfully you can turn it off, but why, why, why is it on in the first place.
Post-process temporal anti-aliasing techniques blur the image, especially at lower resolutions, so post-TAA sharpening is required to produce a sharp output.
Ideally it will be a slider as seen in Ubisoft games, rather than a toggle. Many other games don't even give you the option and either force it on or don't sharpen the image at all.

Is CA as bad as the bloom effect was? God I hated bloom.

Also, what is CA?
fable-the-lost-chapters-20050627052520040.jpg

I think Fable may have been the worst offender for over-use of bloom lighting. "Migraines in 60 seconds or less, or we'll give you your money back!"

Chromatic aberration simulates low-quality lenses which cannot focus all wavelengths of light to the same point.
chromatic_aberration_1fje8.jpg

Photographers and film makers spend a lot of money on lenses to avoid this artifact.

Chromatic aberration from a simple, low-quality lens design:
1280px-chromatic_aber30jn3.png

A high quality, complex Apochromatic lens design focuses visible wavelengths to a single point (the film plane or digital sensor):
1280px-apochromat.svg5yjjb.png

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
it can be ok. Overall I'm more against the idea of a physical camera being in the game as a default. for most games it doesn't even make any sense.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
If these are used correctly I like them.
The only thing I hate every time, no matter what, is blur effect on movement.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

I see these statements crop all the time when higher resolutions become standardized in TV sets. The same when 720P sets were supplanted by 1080P sets, and the same applies again when more and more 4K tv sets are replacing 1080p sets. The same will apply when 5K or even 8K TV sets supplant 4K as the standard.

Because it's that simple. The only difference between 4K resolution and 1080P is simply being able to push more pixels per inch on the screen. The higher pixel density of a higher resolution allows for higher image quality. To dislike higher resolutions is akin to saying you dislike better image quality.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I like them, also widescreen blackbars can be a cool effect. (The Order 1886 & Evil Within)