• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Not a "Sub for Sub Bruh" Thread, but an actual space where content creators can perhaps share a bit of their process, technical problems and woes maybe.

i Work primarily with Game Analysis and im transitioning from traditional reviews to Long form reviews of games, on that process while trying to navigate the insane maze that is Youtube, i keep productivity up by doing weekly vlogs, Live compilations and Top lists and Countdowns. Recently i've been trying to poke around with Game Movies and anime too, trying to reach out to other content... Keeping it to just about 3 Uploads a week.

But let's talk shop, shall we? Do you create content? What's your process? One of the things that most baffles me in people who do Lore dives and Long from reviews of games old and new, is the Script process... i mean, do you just record your entire playtrhough?

I would imagine this works when you already know the game, you know what beats you need... but when it's your first time playing a game, you wanna be able to capture the proper cutscenes alongside varied gameplay, most bosses, any glitches or bugs you get, maybe some funny gameplay segments you get.... regardless, you end up tossing out 90% of your footage, and have to scrub back over hours (sometimes dozens of hours) of footage to get the pieces you need.

That, of course, is why we have notes...

The entire process of producing a video can be quite insane when you get into the nuts and bolts of it, specially if you do it all yourself like i and many others do. It can be quite dreadful to finish a game only to then be reminded that now you have to go back and start putting the video together... make no mistake, it's no wonder Twitch let's plays and LP's in general are more friendly... they are less laborious than Edited videos for damn sure.

Also wanted to hear about people's notes... do you write down your thoughts as you play and then compile the script at the end? Do you let the game sit in your mind a few days before writing down? What's your focus when writing down a story?

I remember i wanted to make a video telling the story of Shin Megami Tensei IV, it's been over a year since i beat the game and i can't capture footage from my 2DS... so i was thinking on how i would even do this, and when i noticed i had to pick up other people's footage to compose my video and would have to replay and take notes on the entire game since there is no proper compreenshive guide or summary of the story to help me along, i just skipped onto new projects.... i've been flirting with the idea of playing and doing a Lore video on Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 for months now, but i find myself having to push that away for now while i need to build up a backlog of videos to allow me the free time needed to tackle that task.

So, overall i wanted to pepper a few thoughts on the process of having a channel and working on it, just to get a conversation going... share your process! What are the barriers in the way of your goals? Also, maybe we can use this space to share tips and help other along with resources or techniques to save time without having to sacrifice on content or originality.

IceyD

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I record my entire playthrough. Might as well, right? It doesn't take long to zip through footage in my experience.

I've yet to really launch my YT channel. So far just thrown up podcast audio against static images. But I recently invested in a nice camera and even rigged my car for potential vlogging. Wondering if I should go for that more personal route versus just pure game footage.

Car setup:

vyURmXs.jpg