• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was basically a but-for cause of DOTA turning out how it did.

Back when Warcraft 3 came out, I thought the World Editor was super cool, and started to get into learning it. I got my buddy to help me with making a map about a bunch of heroes from various games and movies. Figuring out how to make unique abilities was really fun. We made a ton, probably like 15 or 20 heroes. Turns out the Samus I made was super broken because of her ice beam I gave her. Also, I wanted to add all of her abilities from the games, so I ended up using item slots to add more abilities, since they wouldn't all fit in the ability slots. She was super broken.

I digress.

My buddy I got to help me made Morphling at that time (along with a bunch of other heroes that never made it over to DOTA, but their ideas did). Eventually I left the country for a few years and basically lost contact with him and WC3 generally. When I came back, my buddy told me that he'd taken what he learned from our map and gone on to help some dudes make this map called Defense of the Ancients. He was the lead of DOTA for a while. Neichus, if you've heard of him. He's not as famous as IceFrog, but a lot of people know him. And my little project got him into it, and was the birthing ground for a lot of heroes that ended up in DOTA.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I helped Cliffy B buy some DVDs at a Best Buy back in 2003. I helped politician John Edwards by some CDs back in 2007 or so. I helped Brad Garrett buy Playboy and Penthouse magazines for his son's 18th birthday about 2012 or so.
I was told by Neil Gaiman to invade his personal space as we set up an assembly line for him to sign hundreds of books in under 30 minutes.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was an unplanned extra in a Zebrahead video. My friends and I snuck in and just stayed and hung out with all the actors who were pretending to be drunk whilst we were actually drunk. It was the best.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
EDIT: on second thought, maybe a bit too much information here.

Anyway, to summarize: I used to work in a company where I met many celebrities, including Action Bronson, and I'm in one of his videos.

Last edited:

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I auditioned to play a dead body on an episode of NCIS. And I got the part! Season 15, Episode 18. The dead, partially blown up body on the rooftop in the first 5 minutes is me. :)

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
A YouTube video of one of my college play performances (that I uploaded) has almost two million views.

I wrote a Mario musical back in 2016 for a theatre festival and it received an encore performance for selling the most tickets in its venue.

My dad does local standup and has worked with Louie Anderson, who I've met several times.

TomPUH

Oct 30, 2017

I once played and lost a League of Legends against Total Biscuit, we were terrible and got beaten badly.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, here are some lame ones...

Gwen Stefani grabbed my ass once.

I helped MLB player Brian Giles's ex-wife move, and one of the other guys moving stuff had a Super Bowl ring. (from Super Bowl XXII)

MLB player Eric Anthony used to babysit me.

A Chargers player named Scott Fitzkee lived next door to my mom's boyfriend in the early-'80s and I frolicked on the beach with multiple Chargers players of the day on multiple occasions. I also chilled in their house.

My first job was harvesting, chopping and delivering firewood, and one of my customers was Chargers quarterback Mark Vlasic. This was entirely unrelated to the other thing.

One of my relatives was a good friend of Fess Parker's.

I was partnered at work with a guy who was buddies with Butch "Eddie Munster" Patrick.

I helped Calvin Johnson from K Records carry a table once... so I'm pretty cool.

I helped Rob Liefeld, famous for not being able to draw feet, carry a table once.

Last edited:

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I was on tv on a program called world famous for dicking around after the folks that made the show came to my student residencies and put me inside a tumble drier and switched it on. Was one of the most random things ever. Can still watch it on YouTube. I was on the same episode as the Rayment twins from the Matrix Reloaded.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
I was in a singing group that the guys group in the Pitch Perfect movies were based on (a few generations past where the book took place though). I once opened for Jay Leno with that same singing group when he was touring in 2015, and it was the worst show. Nobody wanted to hear an a cappella group open for a stand up act, but it was cool overall.

I won a state wide Guitar Hero 3 tournament once and got a guitar signed by Willie Nelson, but really only because there was significant input lag in the stage setup and I was the only one used to dealing with it in the batch of contestants.

I have a few friends who have gone on to do really awesome stuff. One of my best friends in college's dad was the director of Madagascar and Antz, and that friend also won an Emmy a few years ago for composing music in the PSVR Worlds soundtrack. Another friend of mine is now a star of that new Netflix Sabrina The Teenage Witch show.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
While I love No Man's Sky greatly, I captured one of the clips that ended up being used to ridicule it most frequently.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I was an extra in a music video by one of the AKB48 sub-units (Not Yet) a few years ago. They were super nice.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I hung out with a small musician on his first British tour for like 3 days because I had nothing better to do and was in a pretty severe depression at the time. He was incredibly cool, though he's far from famous I guess, though he was in The Color Fred once upon a time.

I played pool against some guys celebrating the wrap party of a Call of Duty game in Vegas in 2016. Not sure which team, I don't play the games.

I think that's about it. Gary Whitta once quoted me at the old place.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Weird Al straddled me (or rather, my seat) at a concert of his in Puyallup during a performance of "Wanna B Ur Lovr". He stood on my chair to sing in the face of the woman right behind me.

My dad, my best friend, and his dad can all attest to this. It's truly the weirdest thing he could've done in my presence, and it absolutely came to mind when I heard that song of his.

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've shared a joint with some of the band members of Xiu Xiu, I spilled some coffee on Robyn at an airport (it's a lame claim because I don't work in music industry and did not at first realize who they were even though I like both Robyn and Xiu Xiu's music)

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
I randomly got matched against Moot (4chan) in DotA 2 in like 2011. I destroyed him.

Another DotA story, I randomly got paired up with a developer from Arkane Austin. He worked on games such as Epic Mickey, and Bioshock 2. This was before Prey 2017 was released or even revealed, but it was leaked. I added him on steam after that match and asked him a bit about game development. I kept making winks towards Prey and tried to play it off lmao.

When Prey was released though I messaged him saying it was fantastic. :-)

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I once helped one of the guys from Penny Arcade with a quest in WoW. Or at least he had the same character name they used. Might've been killing an abominable snowman? He was one of the few people to get the reference to my character's name (Annyong).

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I used to be "buddies" with Jared Leto when his band was getting popular, met him many times after the show, and was an extra in one of his videos. Now I can't even greet him that easily (I doubt he remembers me) since he's at the height of his career.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I believe I currently hold the spot of "worst case of adult chickenpox ever" in the state of massachusetts, at least according to the multiple doctors who saw me during that shitshow.

It was really bad. Even my organs had chickenpox.

Tranquility

Oct 28, 2017
My boss won an Olympic gold medal in Hockey in 1994 and made 7 goals for Sweden in that tournament. The year after he played for Philadelphia Flyers but did not have a long or great NHL career.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I once helped one of the guys from Penny Arcade with a quest in WoW. Or at least he had the same character name they used. Might've been killing an abominable snowman? He was one of the few people to get the reference to my character's name (Annyong).

it's like an extra level of lame that my only interaction with well-known people was probably in WoW. Main one I know about for sure was the lead singer of Cannibal Corpse, because for years after that came out people kept coming on our server asking about him. Also I beat Leeroy Jenkins in Eye of the Storm.

Oct 28, 2017
I did a song with Royce the 5'9"

On Miiverse, I pitched the idea for a figurine based component for the yet Untitled Smash brothers the summer before "Amiibo" was announced.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
I made AOL Instant Messenger pixel art avatars for the old school windows client, in 2003. They got around on the RoosterTeeth forum back in the day and the team liked them so much they gave me a year of their freshly launched subscription service for free.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I was babysat as a kid by both the lead singer of the Beautiful South and I've been told Fat Boy Slim (my mums ex used to know a few famous people from Hull and when we briefly lived in Brighton).

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
When I was 8 I took a picture with the then-president of my country.
I also met and talked with swimming world championship gold medalist, Nadja Higl.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have to blink if I don't want to. I'm fairly certain I could win a staring contests against any normal person. There are probably other mutants like me out there.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
1. Bought a shot for Danny McBride at a local bar... he was wasted and his handler got him out of there before he could take it.
2. I'm in a documentary about long distance relationships and... it's super embarrassing.
3. I kinda know the dudes in that band that was playing during that "Nintendo Switch moshing" video. Fell out with that crowd, though.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Ashton Kutcher quoted and replied to one of my tweets to him. He was complaining about a drone company after sinking his toy on a lake, i commented on that and he replied lol

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hugh Jackman made fun of me (deserved) for being unable to switch the camera to take a selfie with him, when he was on the press roll for The Greatest Showman in Sydney.

I still managed to get some pictures and he signed my painting of him, lmao.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lightly punched in the chin by Muhammad Ali
Lunch with Miss America 2001
Shook Hands with at the time Governor Schwarzenegger
Gave the Rock directions to Golds Gym
And other stuff

Oct 25, 2017
I still occasionally run across images and gifs I made on the internet still in circulation a decade or more later. That's always kinda fun. More recently, fans of Doom and Battlefront have probably come across things I've made in the past couple years.

I did cosplay for a little while a few years ago and got popular enough at one time that I was being asked to participate in fan films and found it difficult to walk through conventions without being stopped every 5 feet. The attention made enjoying it hard so I stopped. (also I think 99% of fan films inevitably suck)

Somewhere on an old reel is an outtake of 12 year old me accidentally wandering into frame and ruining one of Johnny Depp's takes.

My youtube channel has 600,000 views and it's entirely thanks to one video.

I own an Emmy award won by my grandfather for, among other things, apparently helping pioneer the way sports television is filmed. He was also one of the guys of charge of filming the opening of Disneyland and involved in filming some of the nasa apollo landings.
He was friends with a bunch of famous folk and some of them would occasionally come to dinner, so my mom tells me of before I was born. Like Jerry Lewis.

I went to highschool with someone who went on to become a fairly successful model and the first time I learned this was some years later when I was walking through the store and saw her face on a bunch of magazines at the register. She was always kind and I'm happy for her.
Same goes for another chick in highschool except she went into the music industry instead.

Last edited: